What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bids Club Mascots

Which is the most Appealing Mascot to represent a 2nd Brisbane club, regardless of location or color

• Bombers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dolphins

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Firehawks

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Jets

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MugaB

Coach
Currently there's 4 bids, maybe more but really looking at the branding, not the location or colors of the bids. Lets just assume they're fulltime at Suncorp stadium.
Vote on which mascot you prefer to represent a 2nd brisbane expansion side

* listed the possible bids alphabetically btw

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mascot or brand? Mascot will depend on the character they choose and the amount they spend on the costume lol

Brand we have only seen the Bombers brand, we havent seen the colours, logo or font of the other bids so hard to judge. Leaving aside the AFL connection I dont mind their colours or logo.

If Redcliffe dont change theirs then I think the logo is pretty naff but colours are good. The name Dolphins is fine, even though they'll be playing a long way from the coast :)

Ipswich logo naff but their colours are good also. Name is fine, neither great nor terrible.

Firehawks we dont have anything to go on but the name is kind of cool, if not a bit Ice hockey sounding.

Mascot or brand? Mascot will depend on the character they choose and the amount they spend on the costume lol

Brand we have only seen the Bombers brand, we havent seen the colours, logo or font of the other bids so hard to judge. Leaving aside the AFL connection I dont mind their colours or logo.

If Redcliffe dont change theirs then I think the logo is pretty naff but colours are good. The name Dolphins is fine, even though they'll be playing a long way from the coast :)

Ipswich logo naff but their colours are good also. Name is fine, neither great nor terrible.

Firehawks we dont have anything to go on but the name is kind of cool, if not a bit Ice hockey sounding.
Dolphins have been filmed swimming in the Brisbane River.

flippikat

Bench

I can see a solid Dolphin brand using traditional red and white for the Redcliffe Qld Cup team plus grey.

Maybe red jerseys with grey / white as trim for home, and grey with red/white as away?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see a solid Dolphin brand using traditional red and white for the Redcliffe Qld Cup team plus grey.

Maybe red jerseys with grey / white as trim for home, and grey with red/white as away?

There's def room for another red and white jersey in NRL. This is probably their best jersey I could see. Id go like SL and have something outrageous for an alternate! Flouro green and grey

e2905e65b76d59ded81a1f3612c7c739.jpg

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Firehawks - I like the idea of a new brand and they've picked a pretty good one in my opinion.

Dolphins - Solid, established name which could have mixed reactions. Calling them 'Redcliffe' in the NRL though would be a mistake in my opinion.

Jets - See above. Personally if they're aiming to represent South-West Brisbane & Logan as well I'd rename something like 'Hornets' the type of fighter jet commonly used in the Aus Air Force.

Bombers - Shit. I remember they put this to vote then blatantly lied or ignored the results because no way anyone picks 'bombers'. One of the options in that original poll was Kookaburras, rename that and go brown with with and light blue trim and you've got my vote.

I think all the potential colour combos are pretty good. Assuming:

Dark Green, White & Yellow - May slightly clash with Souths.
Red, White & Grey - Clashes with StGI's away only.
Blue, Orange (&Black) - Orange only used sparingly by one other club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bombers - Shit. I remember they put this to vote then blatantly lied or ignored the results because no way anyone picks 'bombers'. One of the options in that original poll was Kookaburras, rename that and go brown with with and light blue trim and you've got my vote..
An aviation theme presents more branding and merchandising opportunities than your average animal brand will every offer. The Bombers are in it to make money, it's not surprising that they'd go that route.

It's the same with Pirates vs Reds.

jim_57

Staff member
An aviation theme presents more branding and merchandising opportunities than your average animal brand will every offer. The Bombers are in it to make money, it's not surprising that they'd go that route.

Either way Bombers was a poor choice in my opinion. Plenty of Aviation themes they could have gone without copying the name of one of Australia's biggest sporting clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore

As much as people of my gen love the Reds brand I can see why Pirates would be much more commercially attractive. The merch sales of pirate themed gear would be through the roof!

flippikat

Bench
Dark Green, White & Yellow - May slightly clash with Souths.
Red, White & Grey - Clashes with StGI's away only.
Blue, Orange (&Black) - Orange only used sparingly by one other club.

If Jets/Jagera get in, and use dark green, Souths will *have* to use a genuine alternate jersey for away games up there (as they do currently with away games to the Raiders) - a good thing.

As far as Dolphins go, I think for any games against Dragons, neither team may need to change - the Dragons could wear their traditional white with red V & Dolphins in mostly red, and there's little clash.

For Firehawks, if the Tigers persist in minimizing their use of orange, it's fair game for an expansion team to use it as a primary jersey colour - and there's a good chance Firehawks and Tigers can both play in home jerseys (Orange vs Black) when-ever they meet.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
If Jets/Jagera get in, and use dark green, Souths will *have* to use a genuine alternate jersey for away games up there (as they do currently with away games to the Raiders) - a good thing.

As far as Dolphins go, I think for any games against Dragons, neither team may need to change - the Dragons could wear their traditional white with red V & Dolphins in mostly red, and there's little clash.

For Firehawks, if the Tigers persist in minimizing their use of orange, it's fair game for an expansion team to use it as a primary jersey colour - and there's a good chance Firehawks and Tigers can both play in home jerseys (Orange vs Black) when-ever they meet.
None of this stuff is a problem as long as every club has an away jersey that truly contrasts with their home jersey.

The only time you have problems is when you get clubs that refuse to produce a jersey that contrasts, like Souths.

The Great Dane

First Grade
As much as people of my gen love the Reds brand I can see why Pirates would be much more commercially attractive. The merch sales of pirate themed gear would be through the roof!
Yeah the problem is that the NRL has a bunch of licensing contracts to produce merch in house, that's why you'll see lines of NRL beanies, polo shirts, etc, that are all the same design in different teams colours. So the Pirates, Bombers, etc, will all face the same problems that the Broncos, Raiders, etc, have all faced in the past, where they've had all these great ideas for merch they've wanted to produce and the NRL has to block 95% of it from ever happening because of their contracts.

It's one of the minor reasons why the SL war happened, the Broncos (and others to a lesser extent) were trying to produce all sort of merch, the NSWRL would literally threaten them with cease and desists and then force them (as much as they could) to split their profits with the other clubs.

Same reason why it took the Raiders 30 years to produce viking helmet beanies, and even then they had to be produced by a sponsor to raise funds for charity.

flippikat

Bench
None of this stuff is a problem as long as every club has an away jersey that truly contrasts with their home jersey.

The only time you have problems is when you get clubs that refuse to produce a jersey that contrasts, like Souths.

Precisely. It's woeful that the NRL have let Souths get away with that 'white trim/black trim' rubbish for so long.

Maybe we need green-dominated expansion team jerseys to force the issue? Hehehe...