What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Couldn’t Brisbane2 be called the south Brisbane....fill in the blank and play out of the ANZ Stadium which I believe is located in south Brisbane??

The Great Dane

First Grade
Couldn’t Brisbane2 be called the south Brisbane....fill in the blank and play out of the ANZ Stadium which I believe is located in south Brisbane??

ANZ or whatever they are calling it now, is an athletics field with a running track around it, so it's always been kind of crap to watch footy at. Suncorp is also better placed and it's facilities shit all over ANZ's as well.

Besides that, one of the major points of a second Brisbane team has been to have footy at Suncorp every second week, and a lot of people (particularly broadcasters) would be a bit peeved if the club wasn't a least playing the vast majority of it's games at Suncorp.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
ANZ or whatever they are calling it now, is an athletics field with a running track around it, so it's always been kind of crap to watch footy at. Suncorp is also better placed and it's facilities shit all over ANZ's as well.

Besides that, one of the major points of a second Brisbane team has been to have footy at Suncorp every second week, and a lot of people (particularly broadcasters) would be a bit peeved if the club wasn't a least playing the vast majority of it's games at Suncorp.
Fair enough. Could have been a goer though had the ANZ Stadium been decent due to its location south of the Brisbane river and Suncorp Stadium for a south Brisbane team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolutely. Run by the QRL and supported by the BRL. Now that's a team Brisbane could get behind.

Sounds good in theory but as most RL bodies seem unable to run a chook raffle do you think the QRL could run a prof sports club profitably?

Vee

First Grade
Sounds good in theory but as most RL bodies seem unable to run a chook raffle do you think the QRL could run a prof sports club profitably?
They were on the right track when they started with a LC and academy planned but lost their nerve as their debut loomed. IAC, that was 20yrs ago, dunno about the people there today.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Neither are old enough or obscure enough. There're still millions of people around today who know who they are, what they did, and have an opinion on them, and the majority of those people will hold negative opinions which is the main problem with the Dolphins.

(Beside that, Brothers are already bidding for an NRL license (not for a Brisbane club though), and the Diehards still exist, so you'd either have to buy their brand from them or go into a joint venture with them.)

If a bid was going to go the route of a "historic brand" then they'd need a brand that is much older, like one hundred years older, and that has fallen into obscurity, and there're quite a few to pick from if you have a look.

I mean I only grabbed out my copy of Our Game by Steve Haddan and and went through the first few years of the BRL and came away with a team called Natives, another one called Railways, and a team from Toowong who were known as the Cemetery-siders (definitely potential there), so there's plenty of potential to co-opt old team names and monikers.
I don't mind the linking to the past history as a means of establishment. It doesn't mean that the name has to be identical, just that it gets its roots from the team. It can create a good back story/history as well and then progression to modern times and NRL acceptance.

An example could be:

Toowong Cemetry-siders -> West Brisbane Reapers
Brisbane Railways -> South Brisbane Crushers
Valley Diehards -> Brisbane Gladiators

Either way, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy of what was, but something to anchor itself to the area. I also don't believe it needs to be a long-forgotten team. It could be a team that existed back in the old BRL but was never resurrected in the new format. This could then bring in the nostalgic, Bronco-hating fan who remembers them from back in the day.

Just food for thought.

greenBV4

Bench
On the topic of names, how would going the soccer route work out? Brisbane United or Brisbane City? (I think united would be better, Broncos already seem to be a "city" club).

Its not all that inspiring but at the same time not controversial or limiting the fanbase based off a mascot

over time the actual fans might come up with a mascot for the club (that doesn't have to actually be in the cubs name)

Got bored and did this

Picture1.png

Its based on the cities coat of arms, but with a colour change because we don't want another blue team

Mascots that could derive from the logo could be anything like a snake, a doctor, the greek god Hermes, or a pretzel.

Or like I said earlier it could be something like a jockey if going down the "beating the broncos" route.

I don't think a clubs mascot has to be in the team name or logo, some of the best known sports clubs around the world don't have typical mascots, and mascots can always develop from the fans if they feel the need to have one, or even from the opposition (cockroaches and cane toads in origin).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Five anonymous businessmen worth a combined $50 million have begun due diligence to forming a second NRL team in Brisbane.
According to a report in The Courier Mail, Brisbane Bombers director Craig Davison has been approached by the group of investors with a view to taking on the mighty Brisbane Broncos in 2023.

The moves comes after broadcaster Channel 9 announced a push to kill off a Sydney team and launch a second Brisbane team by 2023 when the next multibillion-dollar broadcast deal is in place.
With cash to burn and an opportunity, the Queensland consortium have begun crunching the numbers to see how much it would cost to fund an NRL team, but will not begin talks with the governing body until it is made clear they will seek tenders for a new team.

The Brisbane Bombers have been fighting for an NRL licence for the past eight years and could finally get their chance with the high-powered executives.

The Courier Mail reports within the group of men, a few have footballing background, four are from Brisbane and one from north Queensland.

“I’ve been contacted by a group of businessmen who are keen to get an NRL licence as Brisbane’s second team,” Davison told The Courier Mail.

“They have asked not to be named. It is a confidential business group. They are successful in their own right and are serious about this proposition. They are crunching the numbers as we speak and doing an evaluation of what it would cost to fund an NRL team.

“There’s a team of five businessmen and a couple have a footballing background. Four are based in Brisbane and one investor is in north Queensland.

“This group has asked me to do some due diligence of the NRL marketplace in Brisbane.

“Are the Bombers still a chance? I don’t know that but there is certainly a possibility we can get together with these businessman and form a very robust bid.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/g00/nr...r=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.dv=15

mongoose

Coach
sounds interesting, although 50 million isn't a huge amount of money between 5 Businessmen.... pretty sure Russel Crowe is worth more than 50 mil...

Perth Red

Post Whore
sounds interesting, although 50 million isn't a huge amount of money between 5 Businessmen.... pretty sure Russel Crowe is worth more than 50 mil...

I'd be more interested in how much they are willing to invest if needed.
Ideally clubs would have enough revenue from fans, crowds, corporates and NRL grant to not need private owners stumping up their own cash. I cant imagine investing in an NRL club brings a very good return in most cases!

Latest posts