What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers not keen to be rushed into NRL if Sharks fold

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...l-if-sharks-fold/story-fndujljl-1226594341253

Brisbane Bombers not keen to be rushed into NRL if Sharks fold

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
March 10, 2013 11:30PM

THE bid director for Brisbane's second team doesn't want his franchise to be bullied into the NRL next year if Cronulla fall over.

And Craig Davison, from the Brisbane Bombers, doesn't want the Sharks relocating to Brisbane.

"Relocation, definitely not," Davison said.

"I don't believe it is the way to go. And I am not picking on Cronulla. Sydney clubs have so much history and heritage. There is a second-tier competition. That's where Newtown play."

The NRL must have 16 clubs to fulfil its eight-game-a-week commitment to Channel 9 and Fox Sports. Southeast Queensland is almost certain to win a place if the NRL expands in three to four years.

But the chance remains that an existing club is relocated, as is commonplace in US sports, and as happened with the now hugely successful Sydney Swans in the AFL.

Perth and the Central Coast Bears have also spoken against relocation.

In fact all bid teams want to start their clubs from scratch.

Sharks chairman Damian Irvine stressed last year his club would never leave the Sutherland Shire.

Diesel

Referee
Too bloody bad, the NRL will do what's best for the comp, not what's best for a plastic-carbon copy of the Broncos

The Great Dane

First Grade
Of course the bid teams are against relocation, if a team relocates to their area then their team does not get in.

Simple selfishness, they don't want any rugby league team in their area, they want their rugby league team in their area, even if it is at the detriment of the rest of the competition. I completely understand wanting their own team, but it is selfish none the less.

Clarke

Juniors
Makes sense and I agree with them.

If the Sharks can no longer exist in Cronulla, they should be offered the chance to relocate to Adelaide. If they do not want to do that and choose to fold. The NRL should rush the Central Coast Bears in as a quick replacement and then later expansion to Perth and 2nd Brisbane.

I don't know why areas should have a relocated team foisted on them.

But, if the Sharks brand survives, and relocation is required, and a city wants them...well...good luck.