What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos a step closer to snaring wayward star Tim Smith

babyg

Juniors
Would be a pretty decent succession plan for Lockyer, if he gets his head right.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,26202785-5018866,00.html

By Karl deKroo
October 13, 2009 Troubled playmaker Tim Smith is a step closer to relaunching his NRL career with Brisbane Broncos after Queensland Cup affiliate side Easts Tigers nominated the former Parramatta halfback to complete the pre-season with Brisbane's elite squad.
Smith left the Eels mid-season last year after a string of alcohol-related off-field incidents and revelations he was battling bipolar disorder.

After taking some time out with his family on the Gold Coast, Smith took up a deal to join the Wigan Warriors in the English Super League.

He played 12 games for the Warriors at five-eighth this year before a shoulder injury ended his campaign and he returned to Australia.

While the Broncos played no direct role in his recruitment, under their affiliate arrangement with Easts, they invited the Tigers to put forward a player to undertake the pre-season with the NRL squad. Smith has been the player nominated for this summer.

It was through the same link that winger Antonio Winterstein was elevated to the full-time squad after he was signed by Easts from Sydney Roosters. He went on to play every game for the Broncos this year.

While Peter Wallace is Brisbane's first-choice halfback and under-20s No. 7 Ben Hunt is considered a player of the future, the lack of another halfback option on the roster was exposed when Wallace was injured before the preliminary final loss to Melbourne Storm last month and veteran Tonie Carroll was pushed to the halves.

Wallace is recovering from a broken ankle and will face a race against the clock to be ready for pre-season trials in February - which could present an opportunity for Smith to show his wares.
The Broncos are finalising their training squad for the pre-season, with up to seven members of the under-20s side to be elevated to the senior squad.

Of the other members of this year's elite squad, Tom Hewitt and Aaron Gorrell will join high-profile duo Karmichael Hunt and Dave Taylor in the departure lounge, while Palmer Wapau will not have a Broncos contract but will remain with feeder side Redcliffe.

The Broncos have also moved to bolster their forward stocks, signing North St Josephs product Rohan Ahern from the Roosters and Canberra under-20s prop Matt Britt.

Ahern played four first-grade games for the Roosters this season.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Not the answer a ridiculous price. Incentive contract - a definite. Especially when we're to be planning for life after Lockyer.

Dazzat

First Grade
This is an ideal situation. Sounds like the club isn't committing to him, and perhaps are waiting if he can play week-to-week for Easts. If he plays consistent football in the Queensland Cup, and keeps his head together, he could be a good pick up.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I am usually fairly troubled by pick ups of this nature (behavioural), but 4 some reason I truly hope this one works. Immense talent if he can keep his social life in check. Huge chance Messrs Smith !

Buck

Juniors
Don't mind this signing at all, depending on form though I would hope he be the 4th choose half behind Locky, Wallace and Hunt

Buck

Juniors
But Easts have chosen him as their player to train with the Broncos elite squad for the pre season. I can see him being dual regestered early next year.

Timmah6991

Juniors
It could be Ivan Henjak looking at post-2011. With Lockyer as his mentor Tim Smith could prove to be an absolute gun (even though he's early a damn good player already). I'm hesitant about this potential signing, but by the sounds of it Henjak is on the right track by not waiting until a player comes off contract in 2010 or 2011, but developing a player now.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
But Easts have chosen him as their player to train with the Broncos elite squad for the pre season. I can see him being dual regestered early next year.

Exactly, he's not a Broncos signing even if he is dual registered