What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos after 2019 finals

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Almost 20 years without winning the comp with the resources they have speaks to a broader problem to me, and I think a big part of that is being the only club in a major city. There's no reason for them to work hard or innovate - they aren't fighting for survival and legitimacy as they were at inception, the salary cap is in place so they can't have a team like they had in the late 90s early 2000s, and the Titans are a basket case so there's no competition there. The Cowboys are hundreds of kilometres away - it's akin to saying Kiama is a major rival to Coffs. So rich and powerful - look at The Courier Mail's content each week - and yet so much failure.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Leave them exactly how they are, I get to go into work tomorrow and torment the bandwagon Lions fans and the rusted on Broncos fans who all told me Manly would fail this past weekend.

All good, but if they pay out their contracts, does it not get included in the cap? For all other teams anyway

It does get included. It's why teams like Parramatta had, and the Bulldogs have cap problems because they were, or still are, paying for players who are now at other clubs.

typicalfan

Coach
Obviously the spine is a problem. Has been for years. Bennett is responsible for that. Boyd and McCullogh's best is just a memory. Not going to see anything near it again.

I never understood the huge money Bennett paid for Milford. Up there with some of the worst signings in the NRL the past 5 yrs.

Can't do much about it until they are all gone. Maybe Milford can recapture some form at fullback with an off season training there?
Milford was signed before Bennett returned?

txta2

Bench
Bunnies are the biggest club in the world accordingly to their fans but have won one premiership in 40 years ?

Broncos had a good patch in 90’s early ‘00s but every winning era comes to an end.
That bloody salary cap, such a joke.

King hit

Coach
Broncos used to get rid of morons like Julian O'neill (after he pissed over the blackjack dealer), even if they were good talent. Now they sign them up (Lodge) They also got rid of players before thier time to bring through new talent (exit Gillmister, Lazarus) now they sign them for 3 extra years past thier expiry date (Dari, Thaiday)

That and the arrogance/ being the only team in Brisbane is doing them no favours. Bring back the mighty Crushers.

But they were happy to keep Wendell there

Yesterday they couldn't tackle and looked really slow. Their forwards are fine but they need playmakers. Their 1 / 6/ 7/ 9 combination is awful. The Broncos game plan in attack seems to be give the ball to a prop or second rower and hope he barges through and gets an offload to a back. It is too one dimensional.

The Eels played the perfect game and the more the game went on, the Broncos just gave up. I think the other thing mentioned is they don't have a leader - they need an actual captain. If they get those things right they will be scary.

Obviously the spine is a problem. Has been for years. Bennett is responsible for that. Boyd and McCullogh's best is just a memory. Not going to see anything near it again.

I never understood the huge money Bennett paid for Milford. Up there with some of the worst signings in the NRL the past 5 yrs.

Can't do much about it until they are all gone. Maybe Milford can recapture some form at fullback with an off season training there?

Milford was signed before Bennett returned?

.. and resigned by Bennett on squillions.

Firstly as typicalfan stated, Bennett didn't initially sign Milford. Milford signed his contract to join the Broncos for the 2015-16 season on 27 November 2013, which is well over 12 months before Bennett returned to the Broncos (in fact early 2014 was about Ricky Stuart trying to get Milford to use the cooling off clause and reject the Broncos contract to stay at Canberra).

As to his re-signing, part of it was market forces as the Storm were trying to lure Milford to them. I don't think his re-signing in 2017 on a 4 year deal can be solely sheeted home to Wayne Bennett. I dare say the Broncos Recruitment Manager and the CEO would probably be more to blame there.

As such the problems stem beyond just the players and the coaching staff in my book. It includes the front office.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos need some new talent scouts, all them kids playing in Brisbane and they cant find a few decent backs?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Where do they go from here?
forget the roster and coach and perform a total review of management.

That the Broncos have such a huge advantage over every other NRL club and have failed to regularly win Premierships is an indictment on the culture and ultimately the management of the club.

A 1 city team like the Broncos should have at least 50,000 members for a start.

The best thing to happen to the Broncos will be to have a second team in Brisbane to snap them out of their arrogance and lack of effort at a management level, then comes the winning on the field.

The glory days of winning with a stacked deck are well and truly over.