What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane II v The CC

age.s

First Grade
The point is both will. Difference is the club Brisbane2 will effect the most is earning $34mill a year whilst the clubs the Bears will effect are on the bones of their backsides and can ill afford any further competition for corporate support.

That's right, a new Brisbane team will effect the Titans who are struggling, or to put it another way, on the bones of their backsides. Glad we have that cleared up.

The difference with the Bears is twofold.

1. The Central Coast isn't Sydney. The effect on Sydney clubs won't be as great.
2. The Bears actually HAVE fans and won't need to take them off anyone. Why are Bears fans on this forum having arguments with anti-Bears posters instead of Bombers fans?

Look this isn't cut and dried. There are obviously positives and negatives with both bids. It's just hilarious to hear comments from frothing QLD2 supporters about how far ahead a second Brisbane team is as a priority, about how it's not even a discussion and even entertaining the idea of a CC team is stupid.

For whatever it's worth I think a third SEQ team should be a reality at some time in the future. The Western Corridor and CQ aren't disappearing any time soon, and their bids will only become stronger over time. The CC is a league mad area that won't get another chance at a bid anywhere near this good. Medium term, having a team in both areas should be a priority and CC before SEQ3 is the logical way of ordering it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How will it affect the titans? My understanding is that the Titans are not struggling to attract cororate support and their crowds have remained above 1/2 the clubs in teh comp despite poor on and off field issues. Take out the CofE fiasco and their finances I am led to belive are not an issue.

Now lets look at the likes of Manly, cronulla, Penrith, Parramatta etc who are struggling big time to attract corporate support, fans and $'s. The comp needs another NSW team like I need another inch of girth on my waistline!

as for you argument of delaying, it misses the whole crux of the matter which is what will TV pay. Your kidding yourself if you think a CC (or any other team) is going to earn the ARLC as much as another Brisbane team. Will they forgo on that money for another NSW team? Not very likely! Take a look on the Bombers page at the Q&A session going on with their bid chairman, it sounds like they have got most bases covered.

Last edited:
How will it affect the titans? My understanding is that the Titans are not struggling to attract cororate support and their crowds have remained above 1/2 the clubs in teh comp despite poor on and off field issues. Take out the CofE fiasco and their finances I am led to belive are not an issue.

Now lets look at the likes of Manly, cronulla, Penrith, Parramatta etc who are struggling big time to attract corporate support, fans and $'s. The comp needs another NSW team like I need another inch of girth on my waistline!

as for you argument of delaying, it misses the whole crux of the matter which is what will TV pay. Your kidding yourself if you think a CC (or any other team) is going to earn the ARLC as much as another Brisbane team. Will they forgo on that money for another NSW team? Not very likely! Take a look on the Bombers page at the Q&A session going on with their bid chairman, it sounds like they have got most bases covered.

I didn't realize you were now an expert on the Central Coast or Brisbane for that matter. I also didn't realize you somehow hold a grudge against Sage yet can't see that Davison is all but the same person.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No expert but blind Freddy can see what I have mentioned, besides if Florimo can be an expert on perth why can't I be on Gosford?

As for the Bombers, I can see in a market like Brisbane where they are going to be up against a behemoth like the Broncos as their rival then it makes sense to have the big guns of business backing the bid.

re Bombers and Sage, totally different scenarios, Bombers don't have to worry about developing grass roots, it is already well established. Unlike WA where the success of a NRL team needs to be very closely alligned with the success of jnr and grass roots development. Besides if Sgae was offering anything other than Elias as CEO I wouldn;t be so opposed to him, he will cost the game in WA alot more than he will bring to it imo.
If Bombers or Western Corridor (or Bears) get the bid doesn't bother me personally as long as we get in!

lockyrulz

Juniors
A second south East Queensland side will generate more TV viewers.

That's all folks. The CC can have all the fan days in the world, its not going to happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Except the teams that play there actually have fans...

As will a 2nd Brisbane team. There is no reason in the world to assume they won't. How many? Who knows, in many ways it doesn't matter as long as they are financially sustainable and are bringing more than they are costing to the NRL through teh TV deal (and it is clear this is why there will be a 2nd Brisbane team admitted in 2015)

I don't see more than a 2-3000 crowd difference between any of the three contenders. Difference is Brisbane 2 are the ONLY one of the three of us who can actually avg more than 20k as they are the only one with the stadium to do so!

Paullyboy

Coach
As was pointed out earlier, we should learn from the AFL mess - expansion for the sake of it is a stupid move.

A second Brisbane team will not work, trust someone who knows Brisbane. Yes, there are non bronco fans in Brisbane (myself included), but we already have a team. It simply won't work!

Central coast is also a fruitless exercise.

Perth is what we need, leave it at that for expansion for quite a while and solidify what we have

Bro Bear

Juniors
[FONT=&quot]Rather take the words of Wally Lewis "I'd be in full support of the Bears on the Central Coast" John Quayle " the Central Coast Bears should be included as part of an expanded competition as soon as possible." then some of the posters on this. Other experts include Wayne Bennett and Peter Sterlig for a start who have backed a CC Bears team.

The CC Bears will be a success, whilst a WA team there is a doubt and another QLD team/teams should be admitted.

For the negative posters some facts: For more than 60 years the Central Coast has made a massive contribution to the growth of Rugby League in Australia by producing many famous internationals and first grade footballers.

The first initiative from the Central Coast Rugby League was the launch of a junior competition in 1947, which has been a proven production line for some of Rugby League's best talent.

Over the years, the Central Coast has produced league legends such as Graham Eadie, David Fairleigh, Mark O'Meley and Steve Carter. More recently it has produced NRL stars such as Chris Heighington, Matt Orford and Tim Moltzen, while the likes of Glenn Morrison continue to star in the British Super League.[/FONT]

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
That's right, a new Brisbane team will effect the Titans who are struggling, or to put it another way, on the bones of their backsides. Glad we have that cleared up.

The difference with the Bears is twofold.

1. The Central Coast isn't Sydney. The effect on Sydney clubs won't be as great.
2. The Bears actually HAVE fans and won't need to take them off anyone. Why are Bears fans on this forum having arguments with anti-Bears posters instead of Bombers fans?

Look this isn't cut and dried. There are obviously positives and negatives with both bids. It's just hilarious to hear comments from frothing QLD2 supporters about how far ahead a second Brisbane team is as a priority, about how it's not even a discussion and even entertaining the idea of a CC team is stupid.

For whatever it's worth I think a third SEQ team should be a reality at some time in the future. The Western Corridor and CQ aren't disappearing any time soon, and their bids will only become stronger over time. The CC is a league mad area that won't get another chance at a bid anywhere near this good. Medium term, having a team in both areas should be a priority and CC before SEQ3 is the logical way of ordering it.

If you are saying the Sydney region needs a 10th team you must be joking.

gyallop

Juniors
the Crushers did gid go belly up, if thats the slang for a liquidation where the players got 48c in the $ when the club folded. Bombers keep saying it made money , truth is the crushers may have had over 21,000 ave crowd in 1995 but were broke by April 1996!

go easy on the term legend Pro Bear, ....fairleigh carter and o'meley...lol....if you want to go down that path the Western Corridor has Lockyer , an actual legend and 12 of the 17 plus the coach from the Qld team of the century and some useful current players in Smith Cronk and Thurston, they might just have you covered!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love how many people talk down our game.

Crowds are up again this year and the competition for top eight spots (even top four spots) is wide open. Only two teams are out of the race with eight weeks to go - that was never the case 15 years ago.

If we're going to expand, do it into one clear stronghold and one expansion zone. CC and Perth makes perfect sense. Another capacity filled Bluetongue Stadium in Round 23 will prove that.

Knightmare

Coach
Too many Sydney teams though Tim!

God, haven't you ever looked at a map? That decides where we expand to. Apparently Birdsville pub have a pretty good NRL bid in the pipeline that will bring in BILLIONS of dollars to the NRL....

Perth Red

Post Whore
If TV want to pay $20mill a year, they have a 20k stadium, corporate backing, can draw 15k+ crowds and expand the game then Birdsville sounds a great prospect, can they or are you just reverting back to the ridiculous dots on a map nonsense? Next you'll be sounding like Loudy and suggesting Beijing should be admitted!

Anyone who thinks the CC is part of Sydney, in any way, shape or form, has problems.

It's as much a part of Sydney as Campbelltown is of Liverpool.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade

I quoted you. You said that there will be an effect on SEQ teams and Sydney teams for both bids. The Titans have a solid future, but they're on shaky ground now. They don't need more competition at this moment, but they'll be fine if they get through the next few years because their footballing arm is secure.

Why will TV be willing to pay anything for a team that will take a significant amount of time to gain support? The Bombers DON'T have fans, they won't be a second Broncos for a long time (if ever). Ask the AFL how hard starting up a team with no fans in the land of an established club is.

The argument that the timing of the bids does matter. I would hope the powers that be are looking beyond just this next TV deal when they think about something as important as expansion.

1. Yes it is
2. Bears are to bears as northern spirit are to mariners?

1. No it's not.
2. WTF?

If you are saying the Sydney region needs a 10th team you must be joking.

Gold Coast is the same distance from Brisbane as CC is from Sydney.

I'm saying that on the face of it, the Bears would be a solid franchise that would add a lot to the competition. Sydney clubs would be fine.