What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Roar Football Club thread - The best team in Queensland

Band On The Run

Juniors
Since no-one else has started it I may as well start the thread about the best team in Australia.

Come on you Brisbane Roar!

Jason Maher

Immortal
The best soccer team in Australia is about the equivalent of the best tiddlywinks team in Iceland...

Mong

Post Whore
I agree with the opening poster although I will be surprised if three in a row will happen, but it would be sweet.. Especially if it's at the expense of the central choke along the way again :)

langpark

First Grade
good thread, band on the run!

tumbleweedy.jpg

;-)

Jealousy mate. They don't have Berisha and Broich! After this terrible NRL season, I'm looking forward to the A-League

Knightmare

Coach
I agree with the opening poster although I will be surprised if three in a row will happen, but it would be sweet.. Especially if it's at the expense of the central choke along the way again :)

You mean last seasons' Premiers?

I suppose being a West Ham supporter you'd be familiar with choking, however :p

Mong

Post Whore
They did stumble their way over the line to be premiers in the end i suppose, fortunately for them they didn't have to endure a second straight GF loss to the roar i suppose as the choke was well and truly on before they got that far.

As for West Ham.. It's rare they get anywhere near anything to be able to choke.. Although, they did win the last final they were involved in.

Knightmare

Coach
Ha, right. And had the Mariners lost the Premiership race in the last couple of rounds all the haters would be calling them chokers for that. One of those heads-I-win, tails-you-lose arguments I suppose. Similar to the attitudes of the St George death-riders around here.

It will be interesting to see what style the Roar adapt to for this season and how it works for them. They have experienced ACL football and they are now aware of what is needed to match/ beat Asian teams. Unfortunately from a purists' point of view, often playing attractive, flowing football as the Roar did under Ange has to give way to being able to match the other team in a scrap. The Japanese teams are generally good at both, more credit should be given to Adelaide United who have managed to do so well at that upper level. Furthermore, will Ange be able to manage the egos at the Tards? Rather a different culture from Brisbane when he took over...

Last edited:

Band On The Run

Juniors
In the A-League coming first after the normal season is called the "premiership" and winning the Grand Final is called the "championship", so Central Choke are the reigning premiers and we are the reigning back-to-back champions.

Mong

Post Whore
Ha, right. And had the Mariners lost the Premiership race in the last couple of rounds all the haters would be calling them chokers for that

And probs would have been justifiable to have done so as well. As it was it came down to the last round which is pretty ordinary on the central chokes behalf given where they were not that far out from the end.

It will be interesting to see what style the Roar adapt to for this season and how it works for them. They have experienced ACL football and they are now aware of what is needed to match/ beat Asian teams. Unfortunately from a purists' point of view, often playing attractive, flowing football as the Roar did under Ange has to give way to being able to match the other team in a scrap

Not sure they "lost the scrap" as such. They certainly wern't able to counter the speed of the asian teams at times.

Knightmare

Coach
In the A-League coming first after the normal season is called the "premiership" and winning the Grand Final is called the "championship", so Central Choke are the reigning premiers and we are the reigning back-to-back champions.

I am aware of the terminologies, although I wonder how many people would consider a team who finished 6th, made it to the GF and won off the back of a dodgy penalty or clear refereeing error to be truly 'Champions' over a side who lost only a handful of matches all season?

Mong

Post Whore
Close to the same amount that do in the bigger codes here if and when that happens.

It's what happens in this country..

Band On The Run

Juniors
I am aware of the terminologies, although I wonder how many people would consider a team who finished 6th, made it to the GF and won off the back of a dodgy penalty or clear refereeing error to be truly 'Champions' over a side who lost only a handful of matches all season?

That is a good point, IMO they got the names wrong.