What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Roar Football Club thread - The best team in Queensland

weasel

First Grade
I am aware of the terminologies, although I wonder how many people would consider a team who finished 6th, made it to the GF and won off the back of a dodgy penalty or clear refereeing error to be truly 'Champions' over a side who lost only a handful of matches all season?

That's an interesting question and one that amateur football philosophers everywhere will undoubtedly try to answer when it happens. But in this instance, with the Roar finishing second in the regular season by a measly two points, losing the same amount of games as the first place team with a superior goal difference, and a 4-1 record in competitive fixtures head to head with their main rival throughout the season, that question is irrelevant.

And speaking of clear referee errors, they're hardly exclusive to the post-season, and with several glaring ones working in the Mariners' favour during the regular season, correcting for them would see Brisbane come out first on the ladder anyway. So thankfully for us Brisbane came out on top in the Grand Final and left us in no doubt who the preeminent force in Australian football is at the moment, so we can all stop worrying ourselves about hypotheticals and look forward to the next season.

Band On The Run

Juniors
That's an interesting question and one that amateur football philosophers everywhere will undoubtedly try to answer when it happens. But in this instance, with the Roar finishing second in the regular season by a measly two points, losing the same amount of games as the first place team with a superior goal difference, and a 4-1 record in competitive fixtures head to head with their main rival throughout the season, that question is irrelevant.

And speaking of clear referee errors, they're hardly exclusive to the post-season, and with several glaring ones working in the Mariners' favour during the regular season, correcting for them would see Brisbane come out first on the ladder anyway. So thankfully for us Brisbane came out on top in the Grand Final and left us in no doubt who the preeminent force in Australian football is at the moment, so we can all stop worrying ourselves about hypotheticals and look forward to the next season.

Well said. Love your dp!

Mong

Post Whore
Will back to back GF wins and the return of Ang with the Victory see a crowd of more than 15K turn up for Saturdays game?

I am not confident of it.

Haven't been to lang park for a few months so am looking forward to getting back out there on Saturday.

I hope so, would be good. Theres been more marketing for it this year than there was last year, so hopefully that makes a difference.

Mong

Post Whore
Where? I haven't noticed any more than last year, although I don't really keep an eye out for it.

I hope you are right though. And then those folk keep coming back.

Mong

Post Whore
Approx 17,500 so not so bad, great entertainment as well, hopefully they come back for the WSW game.

How good was Halloran? Great style of play all round..

Mong

Post Whore
Wtf?

Murdocca and Nicholls both gone in the last few weeks..both to Melbourne sides as well I believe?

Something must be going on within the club...

BDR

First Grade
Brought in Liam Miller too:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...iga-2-in-germany/story-e6frfkp9-1226648190058

Former Perth Glory midfielder Liam Miller will join Brisbane Roar next season, while youngster Ben Halloran has departed for a club in Bundesliga 2 - believed to be Fortuna Dusseldorf.
Miller, who spent a six years at Celtic and Manchester United earlier in his career, is the club's first recruit for the upcoming campaign.

The 32-year-old from the Republic of Ireland is moves to Brisbane after two seasons in Perth.

"I’m very happy to be joining a club with such a strong football culture both on and off the pitch," Miller said.

"I know how proud and passionate Brisbane Roar fans are and I look forward to proving to them I am worthy of wearing this orange jersey."

Coach Mike Mulvey sees Miller as a vital cog in his plans for his first full season in charge.

"On behalf of the club, I’d like to welcome Liam to Brisbane and say we’re very excited to have him on board with us," Mulvey said.

"I see Liam as a key piece to our midfield puzzle – he brings experience and poise and a good work ethic.

"I can’t wait to see how he combines with the talent we already have here at Brisbane Roar."

Meanwhile, former Gold Coast United and Roar midfielder Halloran has handed in a transfer request to move to an undisclosed Bundesliga 2 club in Germany.

"We never want to stand in the way of a player pursuing their dreams overseas," managing director Sean Dobson said.

"As a club, we have a great tradition of footballers forging successful careers overseas.

"We’ve enjoyed having Ben here and we hope he goes on to do great things in Germany."

20-year-old Halloran made 28 appearances for the Roar, scoring four goals, before earning himself a contract with the German club this month.

Glad to see Nicholls go and while I love Massimo, i think he wasn't really cutting it anymore. Halloran leaving is something I'm very used to with Aus football, once a young guy goes well for a bit, they are off to Europe. With the way Franjic played at the back end of the season, it won't be long until he will be off to Europe.

Mong

Post Whore
I thought Nicholls came good towards the end last year and has plenty to offer.. I hope you are right about murdocca, I think he still has a good season or two in him.

Agree with the last point though. We are going to miss his pace out wide..

BDR

First Grade
I am glad to see Nichols go, I think he is criminally overrated. I know he was a good servant for us, but I don't ever see him as a player who should be on a large contract, he just doesn't have much ability IMO. Touch of an elephant.

I'd like it if he proved me wrong though, he is a really nice guy. Massy I would have preferred for him to stay, he was a foundation player and it would have been nice to see him finish up with us.

BDR

First Grade
It looks like Brisbane Roar graduates Tommy Oar, Michael Zullo and Adam Sarota have put a good word in for the club at FC Utrecht.

Fox Sports understands that the Roar are on the cusp of signing 30-year-old striker Edouard Duplan from the Eredivise club that boasts the tree Aussies boys on their books.

Duplan started up front, with Oar playing in behind, in FC Utrech's win in the Europa League qualifier against Twente on the weekend. But despite that success, the Frenchman, who has also played for Sparta Rotterdam, RBC Roosendaal and Clermont, looks like joining the two-time A-League champions after six seasons in Holland's top flight.

The club has already signed Liam Miller for the 2013-2014 A-League season, but lost promising youngster Ben Halloran to Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...an/story-e6frf4gl-1226653095053#ixzz2UfS16jM0

They call him a striker, but apparently he plays more like a winger. Could do some good business for us up front.

hmmm. Hopefully not another Stef Nijland. But good to see some competition for Berisha, if not a replacement for Berisha.

Mong

Post Whore
Hopefully he's a winger with speed to replace Halloran.

Miller could be a solid pick up though.

BDR

First Grade
He will fit into the squad perfectly, just what the doctor ordered IMO. Can't wait to see him back at Suncorp.

Mong

Post Whore
I was pissed off when I saw the a league directive regarding active areas at all grounds, working 4 days a week while doing full time law at uni with a young family doesn't leave much spare time, certainly not enough to attend regularly.

Thankfully I have since seen this from the club, which is encouraging.

CHANGES TO ACTIVE SUPPORT

Hi All,

So it's now clear that there are changes being implemented by the FFA for next season. The clubs position is that we flatly object all changes.

From here we will be reviewing how we tick their boxes but also make sure there are no changes to the way The Den operates - think of it as jumping through loopholes. We will implement things like "One game memberships" that cost the same, "Guest passes" that are purchased by existing members entering their member number and other things that will fill the area. Details will be shared closer to the season.

My request to everyone is this. Do not pass judgement on the clubs actions until the start of the season. Purchase your memberships as normal and prepare for another great season. Also, keep up the conversation on the topic. We'll continue to fight for you but fans speak louder. Keep threatening not to renew, but still do it please! They don't see who are members, but they see comments.

That's probably all I will be saying at the moment. I will keep everyone up to date with changes as they come through.