What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Rugby League Revamp 2015

The Partisan

Information was in the media last week regarding the revamping of the tier of Rugby League competition in Brisbane directly below the Intrust Super (aka Qld) Cup.

Idea appears to be have the faltering FOGS Cup ‘A Grade’ (which consists of basically the ‘reserve grade’ for only the six clubs from the old Brisbane Rugby League) become a larger feeder club system to the ISC competing clubs.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/city/queensland-origin-legend-wally-lewis-has-backed-a-qrl-decision-to-revive-the-brisbane-rugby-league/story-fni9r1yh-1227030712410

Looking at the comps in Sydney / NSW ( Sydney Shield, Ron Massey Cup, VB NSW Cup) I can see Greater Brisbane being steered towards a similar model in the next few years.

Anyone see pros and cons for the QLD revamp or the lessons learnt from the NSW / Sydney set up ?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Not related to the gist of the article but the photo of Lang Park and the 1975 Grand Final always raises my eyebrows.

To me, that day in 1975 was the high point of the BRL. Brisbane Grand Final day was at the time the biggest annual sporting event in Queensland. In the following years, the crowds started to drop a little, other events came along (One Day cricket and eventually State of Origin) and the Brisbane Grand Final started to fade in importance.

Culturally, Brisbane started to have other events and interest became diversified and not centred on Rugby League as had been the case.

At least, it was one of the greatest Grand Finals to mark the day.

The Partisan

Yes, those were certainly great days XXXX Cap ! Even the first BRL GF I attnded in 1980 was a fairly well attended game.

Agree with all the comments regarding other attractions; events and interests eroding the crowds. Happening not only to sport but many pastimes and hobbies. Memberships dwindling and ages increasing.

On a side issue, I've always wished that QRL / Government had thought ahead and in addition to Suncorp built a smaller 'boutique' stadium somehere within walking distance of the CBD or at least public transport.

Could be used for multiple sports still and other events I'm sure.

Note in the 2013 QRL Annual Report that this issue is still up for discussion and the clubs are involved. (Would Langlands Park be able to upgraded to a 10,000 - 15,000 seater ?)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Langlands has a stop directly on the busway so if the QRL was going to push for government funding that'd probably be more likely to get it over say Davies Park, Ballymore, Perry Park, etc. Could always do something at the Ekka grounds but then we'd have two northside stadiums.

FWIW I love LP when it's packed, a lot of the charm would be taken away if it was another cookie-cutter 15K bowl though.

steeden.

Juniors
Langlands has a stop directly on the busway so if the QRL was going to push for government funding that'd probably be more likely to get it over say Davies Park, Ballymore, Perry Park, etc. Could always do something at the Ekka grounds but then we'd have two northside stadiums.

FWIW I love LP when it's packed, a lot of the charm would be taken away if it was another cookie-cutter 15K bowl though.

Honestly I would pay good money to watch a game at the showgrounds, I wonder how much it would cost to hire compared to LP? of the rest of the grounds I'd say Langlands or Perry would be the ideal places mainly because of the transport links (Perry Park is really no worse than Suncorp given the proximity to Bowen Hills) but with the proposed Kurilpa development Davies Park could be a winner. fairly close to the cbd, frequent bus route, most likely on the city cat network by that point. and one of our oldest grounds to boot!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Honestly I would pay good money to watch a game at the showgrounds, I wonder how much it would cost to hire compared to LP? of the rest of the grounds I'd say Langlands or Perry would be the ideal places mainly because of the transport links (Perry Park is really no worse than Suncorp given the proximity to Bowen Hills) but with the proposed Kurilpa development Davies Park could be a winner. fairly close to the cbd, frequent bus route, most likely on the city cat network by that point. and one of our oldest grounds to boot!

Just on Davies, weren't the Bombers proposing to base their HQ and training there or am I mis-remembering things?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Another article.

Logan Brothers could be part of a renewed Brisbane A-grade rugby league competition

TOM BOSWELL QUEST NEWSPAPERS AUGUST 24, 2014 12:00AM

THE Queensland Rugby League says the return of Brisbane’s A-grade competition will strengthen the pathway to the NRL for the state’s best players.

The QRL will scrap the current FOGS A-grade competition at the end of the 2014 season and reintroduce the Brisbane format for 2015.

QRL chairman Peter Betros said the rebirth of the competition that, which was famous in the 1980s and unearthed the likes of Wally Lewis and Gene Miles, would bolster the pathway from club to Intrust Super Cup and the NRL.

“It will allow more players an opportunity to play at a higher level and create a pathway and raise the standard of the competition,” Betros said.

The FOGS competition was introduced in 2001 with 11 teams to support the Intrust Super Cup.

But as Queensland’s top tier has grown, teams have opted to leave to play in their own region with just six left at the end of this year.

The new-look competition will see the return of proud Brisbane rugby league clubs such like Brothers and Fortitude Valley.

Logan Brothers met with QRL officials on Thursday, August 14, to provide an expression of interest for the competition and president Matt Mead said the competition would improve all clubs involved.

“It shows our juniors a stronger pathway towards the highest level,” Mead said.

“It will be great for Logan City because it will give people the chance to cheer on a really high quality side.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...ague-competition/story-fni9r0nh-1227032802799

steeden.

Juniors
Just on Davies, weren't the Bombers proposing to base their HQ and training there or am I mis-remembering things?

from memory yeah, and Dolphin Oval was the other option? Actually speaking of Redcliffe - is that proposed redevelopment going ahead? Could be a nice little ground to use until Brisbane gets a 10k venue

juanfarkall

Coach
troubling times for the Magpies....
Ricky's Raiders are bailing and Logan Brothers will not be affiliated with them or a feeder club to them...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Crap news for both sides if Canberra pull out, hopefully it's just talk...

from memory yeah, and Dolphin Oval was the other option? Actually speaking of Redcliffe - is that proposed redevelopment going ahead? Could be a nice little ground to use until Brisbane gets a 10k venue

No idea on Dolphin Oval, sorry mate. Just remember Redlands and Davies and one other were options for the Bombers.

siv

First Grade
Do QLD Cup teams have a reserve grade or just a single grade

Other than the 9 weeks of U18 and U16 football

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The six Brisbane area Queensland Cup clubs have "reserve grade" teams in the FOGS Cup and Colts teams in the FOGS Colts competition, that is, Norths, Souths Logan, Easts, Wynnum Manly, Redcliffe and Ipswich.

Burleigh and Tweed both have teams in the Bycroft Cup on the Gold Coast as their next level down from Queensland Cup. They both have Colts teams in the FOGS Colts.

Sunshine Coast, Central, Mackay and Northern Pride use clubs in their local competitions for placing their excess players but I'm not sure about the exact arrangements. I assume PNG do something similar.

Sunshine Coast also has a Colts team in the FOGS Colts.

expansionist

Juniors
whatever happens it looks like 2015 will be another fantastic year for QRL. Honestly - I am not watching NRL at all now -and why would I?

The standard at Intrust level is fantastic and without *&%^% politics and people putting themselves ahead of the game as we seem to have in NRL...

I would love to see Wests back... playing at Purtell Park..

The Partisan

So I'm guessing there is no word on what clubs / teams have made application for this revamped comp ? Wonder if it will also be given a name specific to BRL history ?

On a side issue I wonder if the competitions of other SEQ locations will be revamped inn the future. Wouldn't be surprised to see some comps merged like Sunshine Coast and South Burnett or Toowoomba / Ipswich Extended League.

The Partisan

Had a bar room chat over the weekend that raised this issue.

If the traditional Brisbane clubs don't / are encouraged nott to field teams in the new A Grade // Colts comps - would it not be detrimental to the finances of those clubs ?

Surely a segment of the supporters would be lost as they have a connection to a player in one of those two grades and not necessarily the ISC squad.

Personally I would like the three grades to stay but just introduce new clubs to both comps.

rwaite

Juniors
Had a bar room chat over the weekend that raised this issue.

If the traditional Brisbane clubs don't / are encouraged nott to field teams in the new A Grade // Colts comps - would it not be detrimental to the finances of those clubs ?

Surely a segment of the supporters would be lost as they have a connection to a player in one of those two grades and not necessarily the ISC squad.

Personally I would like the three grades to stay but just introduce new clubs to both comps.

If the QRL want the non-Brisbane ISC clubs to act as feeder clubs to the new A grade comp then they are gonna have to cough up the money to cover the travel costs of those fly-ins, otherwise it will wane just like the FOGS comp.

If I get the chance to chat to someone official in the know on Grand Final day then I will enquire as to the progress of the new comp. It would be great to see some new teams like Brothers, Wests or Valleys back in at this level.