What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Rugby League Revamp 2015

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/09/26/brisbane_rugby_league_rebirth.html

South East Division Media Release

In a landmark move for the game’s future, the South East Queensland Division has today announced the new Brisbane Rugby League structure for the 2015 season.

The announcement follows confirmation that the FOGS A grade competition would not continue next year. In its place is a local league premiership, which will see the re-emergence of some iconic rugby league teams made famous through the glory days of the Brisbane Rugby League.

“The emergence of this competition is a further enhancement for second-tier rugby league,” QRL Managing Director Rob Moore said today.

“This decision comes on the back of the findings from the recent National Review. Our focus is on delivering sustainable pathways from Under sixes through to the NRL; and we believe this decision is a step in the right direction for participants.”

Moore praised the FOGS for supporting this competition over many years.

“The FOGS Cup has certainly benefited the game and has at times had 10 Intrust Super Cup clubs fielding teams in a very strong competition,” Moore said.

“However as local league premierships have strengthened, many Intrust Super Cup clubs have returned to support the game in their area.”

The South East Division with its Brisbane administration staff, and assistance from the QRL, has worked towards this outcome for several months. Applications were sought from interested clubs in the regions and meetings were staged to gauge the long-term viability of these interested groups.

From 13 expressions of intent, a total of nine teams have now been accepted by the Division to form the new competition. The five Intrust Super Cup clubs, to be supported by the BRL, proposed a structure where each will link with two clubs. Intrust Super Cup players will then be dual registered and placed with the nominated BRL team throughout the season.

These teams are:-

· Easts Juniors

· Carina (subject to meeting final conditions)

· Logan Brothers

· Normanby

· Valleys

· West Brisbane Panthers

· Gaters

· Redcliffe Juniors

· Wynnum Redlands

The Jets will next year field an Ipswich team in this competition, although it is expected that the club will work closely with the Ipswich Rugby League over the next 12 months to expand their support for that local league premiership.

South East Division Chairman Brad Tallon said the new competition marked an exciting time for the game in the area.

“This decision gives the game in Brisbane a real opportunity to reconsider both the junior and senior structures and also provide more clearly defined long term pathways for all of our players,” Tallon said.

“I believe the Intrust Super Cup clubs have taken a giant step and we acknowledge their vision to get this right.”

“This has been a great experience for the Division as some strong cases were presented for inclusion under a number of models. To have a club brand like Valleys come to us with their plan for the future was a bonus, and to offer an opportunity to great community clubs such as Logan Brothers and Carina adds another feature”.

“Then we found clubs like Normanby and Gaters had strong business plans with substantial financial resources based on their entry into this format. And the model presented by West Brisbane Panthers was another eye opener with regards to confirming a bright future for our game.

“The Division has just wrapped up another very successful rugby league season, but to be honest I cannot wait to see this new revamped BRL competition kick-off in 2015.”

Initial plans are for an 18 round home and away BRL premiership with a pre-season competition for all teams to launch this new format. The League also hopes to unveil a Naming Rights sponsor in the new year.

The Partisan

Thanks L4P.

Thought a few of then were a big chance but a couple of surprises too. Would like to see which teams are linked to the different ISC teams. By my guesses South's and Wynum have only one each ( Logan Bros and Wynnum Redlands respectively).

On a personal note would liked to have seen Brothers Juniors in there but obviously just not good enough with all the criteria.

Note the Ron Massey Cup GF is getting shown on Fox tomoorow before the NSW Cup GF. Wonder if e will ever see a Qld equivalent like Carina v Valleys GF shown ?

Still think the competitions of the greater south east will go through change as well in the next ten years.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Thanks L4P.

Thought a few of then were a big chance but a couple of surprises too. Would like to see which teams are linked to the different ISC teams. By my guesses South's and Wynum have only one each ( Logan Bros and Wynnum Redlands respectively).

On a personal note would liked to have seen Brothers Juniors in there but obviously just not good enough with all the criteria.

Note the Ron Massey Cup GF is getting shown on Fox tomoorow before the NSW Cup GF. Wonder if e will ever see a Qld equivalent like Carina v Valleys GF shown ?

Still think the competitions of the greater south east will go through change as well in the next ten years.

Yeah mate, it'll be interesting to see more info as they release it. Just so good to see clubs like Valleys and Wests playing in the BRL... Hopefully down the track it'll be on the ABC or Fox.

Interesting about Ipswich Jets possibly having a feeder team in the BRL. I wonder what other changes are in store.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Thanks L4P.

What changes do you think could happen?

Watching the q cup on their live stream, the image quality is coming across better on my laptop than the channel nine quality for nrl matches

rwaite

Juniors
As best as I can see, the new comp appears to be an amalgamation between the FOGS and the Open (2nd Division) grades which seems a good thing to me and good to see feeder links set up between the Open division clubs and ISC teams.

Are these teams gonna be fed any players from the non-Brisbane ISC teams or will they continue playing in their local comps? And who's gonna pay the travel costs for them to play with these Brisbane teams? It's obvious the travel costs are what's been hindering the non-Brisbane ISC clubs having their own FOGS team.

The Partisan

What changes do you think could happen?

Watching the q cup on their live stream, the image quality is coming across better on my laptop than the channel nine quality for nrl matches

With clubs in the Sunshine Coast struggling and mergers already occurring I wouldn't be surprised if a Wide Bay Extend League ocurred with maybe three teams from the existing SC comp playing opposition from the North and South Burnett.

Something similar to happen with Toowoomba and Ipswich and the Border Comps.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
With clubs in the Sunshine Coast struggling and mergers already occurring I wouldn't be surprised if a Wide Bay Extend League ocurred with maybe three teams from the existing SC comp playing opposition from the North and South Burnett.

Something similar to happen with Toowoomba and Ipswich and the Border Comps.

Why is the sunshine coast struggling? From afar looks like a growing area population wise but perhaps it's an older demographic moving in?

Looking at Fox sports pulse page for the sunshine coast, why can't the likes of gympie support a first grade team by itself?

Last edited:

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
hmmm...no Brothers. With all the publicity that the new NRL Brothers bid are generating, not getting Brothers into the BRL is a huge problem for them. I understand, Logan Brothers are in, but to not get the original Blue and White Butcher stripes in is thoroughly disappointing :-(

All this NRL talk just smoke and mirrors perhaps....

Last edited:

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
It has sounded like that all the way along.

You would think getting some sort of presence in the BRL / QRL should have been their top priority. Makes you wonder how theycould possibly even consider a shot at the NRL when even the BRL rejects them. As a long term suffering Brothers supporter, this is hard to swallow.

Good to Wests and Valleys back though.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I don't think there was anyone with any significant connection to the old Brothers club involved with the supposed bid. They seemed to just want to latch onto the old "brand" to give them a base.

The Brothers-Valleys venture ten years ago ended in tears, it is basically impossible to get a football club up and going at even a semi-professional level without a major Leagues Club backing. Pride are a huge success story without one but seem to have Cairns Brothers League Club as a platinum sponsor.

The Partisan

I may have missed something .. but does this new revamp apply to both to the Colts level as well ?

If so, does that basically mean Norths, Souths - Logan, Wynnum Manly, Redcliffe and Easts only have the ISC team bearing their name ?

Brutus

Referee
No more all three grades watching the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls at Kougari it seems.

Great to have Wests and Valleys back, but I want to see them playing the likes of the Dolphins and Devils.

The Partisan

Anyone the wiser as to which clubs are aligned to which ISC club / team ?

Some are logical but others not so ? (Sure I've read that Normanby are to be linked with Souths ? I would have thought Norths.)

Frankus

Juniors
Honestly I would pay good money to watch a game at the showgrounds, I wonder how much it would cost to hire compared to LP? of the rest of the grounds I'd say Langlands or Perry would be the ideal places mainly because of the transport links (Perry Park is really no worse than Suncorp given the proximity to Bowen Hills) but with the proposed Kurilpa development Davies Park could be a winner. fairly close to the cbd, frequent bus route, most likely on the city cat network by that point. and one of our oldest grounds to boot!

Was just reading this thread and agree with Davies Park. Although it can be difficult getting in and out from there but if they run extra buses or shuttle buses from Vulture St (now South Bank?) station, it could improve access.

Diehards

Juniors
In regards to the Brothers bid, they elected not to put a team in as it was too short notice for them to do it properly.

Would you really want anyone from all the failed Brothers teams still running the bid?

Anyway, great to see the mighty Diehards back in the comp.... make sure you get down to Emerson Park next year and celebrate the re-birth of the Diehard!!

juanfarkall

Coach
Was just reading this thread and agree with Davies Park. Although it can be difficult getting in and out from there but if they run extra buses or shuttle buses from Vulture St (now South Bank?) station, it could improve access.

You won't see any Saturday matches at Davies Park and unless something has changed markedly there will not be any extra bus or shuttle.
There is already a bus stop outside of Davies Park which copes with the dozen or so who attend games there.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Anyway, great to see the mighty Diehards back in the comp.... make sure you get down to Emerson Park next year and celebrate the re-birth of the Diehard!!

Went to Allan Border Field last weekend.

The old besser block sheds are about the only reminder left of the old Neumann Oval, now they are painted Brisbane Heat teal rather than Fortitude Valley Royal Blue.