What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Rugby League Trivia .....

russ13

First Grade
Wally played lock in his first senior game with Valleys-against Illawarra in an Amco cup match in April 1978. He was a replacement.

mud n blood

Juniors
You're right - he did play lock .... even locked in the first origin match in 1980.

But the Amco Cup match wasn't his first senior game though. He made his senior debut for Valleys against Norths at Neumann Oval where he scored 3 tries, and the Diehards got up 31-14.

BTW, Valleys got belted 35-7 by that rep Illawarra side at Lang Park. Struddy had the Valleys boys in camp for a day before the match, but all they did was drink p!ss and play pool. :lol: :lol: .... and I sit right next to one of the Valleys blokes who played 2nd row that night, and boy - do I like reminding him that he missed 'cold', two tackles on Johnson the Illa fullback who scored both times ..... :clap: :shock: :lol:

zulu

Juniors
I remember Wally playing fullback against the Devils at Neumann Oval one day in 1983. I think Valleys won 14-10 or something like that and Wally starred as usual.

I'm still wondering why Struddy played him there just for that game??

Did he ever start in any other posi during his BRL career apart from five-eighth, lock and fullback?

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Did he ever start a game at Halfback for Valleys in the early days for some reason I thought he did when Struddy was injured or suspended

akdrob

Juniors
I'll rephrase the question. What position was Wally selected at for his first Queensland representative game as a senior RL player. None of you have hit the mark. :lol:

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Wally was selected on the bench against the Poms in 1979
Team was I think
Colin Scott
Brad Backer
Mark Payne
Chris Close
Ian Dauth
Allan Smith
Larry Briggenshaw
Norm Carr
Rohan Hancock
Greg Platz
Bob Cock
Jay Hoffman
Peter Apps
Reserves
Wally Lewis
Wayne Lindenberg

mud n blood

Juniors
You say halfback - must have been while Struddy was hurt or playing for Brisbane.

I have an inkling I saw him play second row, but I remember no details.

akdrob

Juniors
Spot on Sgt Schultz. Reserve was the position he was selected at. Most fans would have said otherwise. Can't recall if we won that game or not. The poms were hopeless that series. They brought out a heap of older hasbeens.

mud n blood

Juniors
The poms beat us 10-7 that night at Lang Park. Ten days before, they also beat the Qld side 25-19 from memory. I remember both were a bit of a rough-house affair ..... :D It was sweet payback for the poms after Brisbane had beaten them in 74 and 75. But they had to play their test side to do us. Was it Trevor Skerrit of Kelvin Skerrit in that side ? Whichever, he was in trouble all night but never got sent off. Big Eddie reffed that one.

After that 79 match, I don't think they played Brisbane again until 1988, and they beat us convincingly 28-14.

rays1502

Juniors
In what year did the Queensland schoolboys team first play NSW schoolboys at Lang Park?
I played in a Queensland Schoolboy side against NSW in 1965 at Lang Parc.
I recon it was the first one between Qld and NSW at Lang Parc.

Last edited: