What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Haha what’s $200k between friends, but you make my point even stronger, Dockers corporate revenue is $17.7mill, more than nearly every nrl team, and they are directly competit with a very big brother In town (Eagles achieved $29mill in corp revenue in ‘22).

if nrl as a comp is as strong as we like to think it is then an nrl team in perth should be able to hit $10mill corporate revenue. I do agree though that hbf west stand needs replacing to help achieve that goal.

ps cowboys game day income includes gate takings as well as corporate sales. Signage would be in sponsorship I suspect in cowboys line items, unless they don’t get any of it as part of the stadium rental deal. Each clubs stadium deal is different in that regards.

re brisbane3 it will come but probably as team 19 or 20, if the nrl has a vision of a 20 team comp, which I have my doubts about, they dont come across as a organisation that has a long term plan.

but if they do the perth then nz2 and brisbane3 would be the obvious choices, though I’d still rather see Adelaide in.

I was getting confused because there's a figure in table 3 mentioning $17.59m. I didn't know whether you were referring to that.

The big one the ARLC needs to get right is stadium rental. Stadiums Queensland charge through the nose for venue hire. It hurt the Titans.

A proactive ARLC will sign an agreement with the WA Gov to get venue hire as low as possible for a Perth team. V'landys should have been doing this at Magic Round last year. Give Perth a Magic Round every year or two as a sweetener. The tourism it'll being to Perth will more than make up for the lower rental fee.

Maybe bring back the NRL 9s for Perth?

I'd rather the game prepare for the worst case scenario -- as unlikely as it might be to happen -- so that a Perth team cannot fail and the other 17 clubs cannot use featmongering tactics to white ant the bid. They didn't do that with the Titans, Cowboys, Reds, Knights, Steelers, Crushers and Warriors. I'm not saying a Perth team will struggle, but we need to be diligent and have precautionary measures in place should something unforeseen hit the club. Our game doesn't have a good record with expansion because it puts the interests of the existing clubs ahead of the new ones.

MugaB

Coach
Its not new fans, just recycled existing ones. But yeh its a good thing brisbane has an alternative to the broncos, long overdue. But now there is an alternative there really isnt any need for a third wheel.
Just so we are clear, when the NRL opens bids for the next 3 licenses in however many seasons down the track and Perth finally snatch one of them...
Are you and others that follow league in WA going to stop following the storm or whoever thet are currently following and jump on the perf bandwagon too... aka RL fans in SEQ

taipan

Referee
According to Roy Masters May 10 2023 ,NRL club CEOs were told at a recent meeting that the decision on an 18th team will be made in 12 month's time ,with the new club entering the comp 2027/8.
On that basis potential entrants will or should be in the process of preparing their bids now.If they aren't in the throes of doing so, they don't deserve consideration.

According to Roy Masters May 10 2023 ,NRL club CEOs were told at a recent meeting that the decision on an 18th team will be made in 12 month's time ,with the new club entering the comp 2027/8.
On that basis potential entrants will or should be in the process of preparing their bids now.If they aren't in the throes of doing so, they don't deserve consideration.

I'm convinced that the Brisbane Tigers will get the licence and galvanise the game in the southern suburbs. Their bid ticks so many boxes and is lightyears ahead of its competitors.

I'm a huge supporter of the Brisbane Tigers because it'll strengthen the game in Logan. The Broncos have neglected rugby league in Logan at all levels since 1988. There was a brief affiliation between the Logan Scorpions and Broncos in 1988, but Bennett soured it by preventing Alan Cann from playing A Grade. Bennett made John Barber play him in Colts. When the Scorpions got into financial trouble 21 years ago the Broncos sat back and let the club die. Logan hasn't been represented at Queensland Cup level since 2002. The Souths Magpies added Logan to their name, but they're still Souths and are based at West End with zero junior clubs in Logan since 1982.

The Brisbane Tigers have a strong presence in the eastern suburbs of Logan. Junior clubs from Rochedale South, Springwood, Flagstone and Yarrabilba are part of the Tigers family and play under their name.

Time for the Tigers to come in and swoop up Logan's rugby league mad fans. If it leads to the Broncos losing a few fans in Logan then they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm convinced that the Brisbane Tigers will get the licence and galvanise the game in the southern suburbs. Their bid ticks so many boxes and is lightyears ahead of its competitors.

I'm a huge supporter of the Brisbane Tigers because it'll strengthen the game in Logan. The Broncos have neglected rugby league in Logan at all levels since 1988. There was a brief affiliation between the Logan Scorpions and Broncos in 1988, but Bennett soured it by preventing Alan Cann from playing A Grade. Bennett made John Barber play him in Colts. When the Scorpions got into financial trouble 21 years ago the Broncos sat back and let the club die. Logan hasn't been represented at Queensland Cup level since 2002. The Souths Magpies added Logan to their name, but they're still Souths and are based at West End with zero junior clubs in Logan since 1982.

The Brisbane Tigers have a strong presence in the eastern suburbs of Logan. Junior clubs from Rochedale South, Springwood, Flagstone and Yarrabilba are part of the Tigers family and play under their name.

Time for the Tigers to come in and swoop up Logan's rugby league mad fans. If it leads to the Broncos losing a few fans in Logan then they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

I have a sick feeling that Logan scorpions branding might return. Did u buy the trademark?!

Pippen94

First Grade

It'll be south brisbane

MugaB

Coach

Here we go again
KLINK LOGAN.png

Mate no one cares about fkn logan

The Great Dane

First Grade
So the NRL isn't going to declare their intent to expand ahead of time and call for all bids to be ready before X date, thus restricting the pool of potential bidders almost exclusively to those whom have had had a bid in the works for an extended period... It's unbelievably stupid, but I can believe it of the NRL.

It's effectively what they did last time, though it seemed like a bit of an accident last time TBF.

I have a sick feeling that Logan scorpions branding might return. Did u buy the trademark?!

I looked into it in 2013.

Ironically, Logan Road begins close to Langlands Park at Coorparoo and travels all the way down to Underwood.

Plenty of locations in southern Brisbane are named after Captain Patrick Logan.

Whether it's as the 18th, 19th or 20th team, I strongly believe the Tigers will be in at some stage. I also think Perth will get in, too. Perth could get in ahead of the Tigers.

That’s a lot of words and emotional ones at that just to say I want another Brisbane team.

If you want evidence or a reason why you don’t do it, look around at every other sporting competition. There’s also a little thing called laws of diminishing returns which runs into this.

For example, let’s take Major League Baseball. By rights, you could have 5 or 6 teams from New York or Los Angeles and they would probably be worth a lot more money than any one of the Oakland Athletics or the Tampa Bay Rays or the Colorado Rockies and a probably a fair few others. Have a look at the money spent on rosters over there to get an insight into what I’m taking about.

If I looked at the NBA or the NFL you would probably find the same thing happening.

Even closer to home you could look at the fumblers 30 odd years ago. They could have decided instead of going to Brisbane and Sydney, we’ll just put extra teams in Adelaide and Perth. They would have been a lot easier to run and would have been a lot safer. Now, 30 years later, we have a RL team in Brisbane using that same code as a reason for them to get in because we are supposed to be scared of them . It’s embarrassing that we as a code don’t get it.

All of these examples are why it is not sensible as an overall strategy. Because any and every business has to go to new markets in order to get new customers. Any time you do the opposite, all you are doing is splitting the existing customer base. So, unless all of Australia is just going to live in NSW and Qld in the future, then you go and take your product to customers who can’t participate in it or have access to it.

Now you can disagree with me all you want but putting another team in Brisbane is not growing your customer base, however you want to spin it. If there were no other options and you have exhausted all your potential markets, then go for your life. But until then I don’t see the point and I don’t give a f*** about your or their concerns about it either if I were to quote you.
Oakland A's in MLB are moving to Las Vegas same as the Oakland Raiders ( Now Las Vegas Raiders) did in the NFL - Both couldn't find any location to build new grounds in Oakland CA which would be the same problem in having more MLB teams in New York other than the 2 they now have

New York did have the Giants ( Now San Francisco Giants) and Brooklyn Dodgers ( Now LA Dodgers) who were both National League Teams - NY Yankees play in the American League.

Only reason why the NY Mets came into being was the proposed third major league -NY would then have a team in both leagues - Yankees in the American League and Mets in the National League

The Mets and Yankees sure have huge payrolls - been a long long time since either won a world series - Mets 1986 and Yankees 1999.

Without doubt the MBL is the hardest sporting competition to win in world sport - 162 game regular season and up to a 22 game post season - wild card play off best of 3 games /division play off - best of 5 games / League championship - best of 7 games and World Series - best of 7 games

From end of January( Spring Training) right through to 1st week of November - World Series game 7(Nov 4)

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

but isn't Logan part of the "western corridor" with Ipswich?

Wb1234

Referee
Somehow dolphins added an extra 20k members & a near 30k per home game (despite often playing out dolphins oval which is only 11k)..but according to u everybody who's interested is onboard already
That’s a decent argument

Brisbane 3 would increase partiticpation I agree with that

Wb1234

Referee
So the NRL isn't going to declare their intent to expand ahead of time and call for all bids to be ready before X date, thus restricting the pool of potential bidders almost exclusively to those whom have had had a bid in the works for an extended period... It's unbelievably stupid, but I can believe it of the NRL.

It's effectively what they did last time, though it seemed like a bit of an accident last time TBF.
Let’s bring back your hero John ribot to sort out expansion asap

first step Perth then Mongolia

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just so we are clear, when the NRL opens bids for the next 3 licenses in however many seasons down the track and Perth finally snatch one of them...
Are you and others that follow league in WA going to stop following the storm or whoever thet are currently following and jump on the perf bandwagon too... aka RL fans in SEQ
Can’t speak for others but yes the perth club will become my main club, I’ll still cheer for Storm as my second club.

difference is brisbane has had a team for years to follow and now has two and rl is the main sport. If you want to be an nrl fan it’s easy to be so. In Perth we dont have that opportunity to get more people following the game. So yes there will be existing rl fans like me who will become fans of the new club bit the aim is through greater coverage of the game and a team to follow we will attract new fans to the nrl.

Canard

Immortal

This is a fanbase that already catered for though.

The Scorpions have no IP worth any value or history in the BRL like the Dolphins, Valleys or Brothers.

The minor issues you mentioned have no resonance with the people of Brisbane or Logan (they just don't care that a short lived unsuccessful BRL ceased to exist almost 2 decades ago). In simple terms, no one gives two f**ks about the Scorpions.

Many a QRL team has failed or ceased to exist since the Broncos came into being in 88, what makes Logan so important that they deserved any special treatment? And anyway wouldn't this be the role of the ARLC, via the QRL?

This is a fanbase that already catered for though.

The Scorpions have no IP worth any value or history in the BRL like the Dolphins, Valleys or Brothers.

The minor issues you mentioned have no resonance with the people of Brisbane or Logan (they just don't care that a short lived unsuccessful BRL ceased to exist almost 2 decades ago). In simple terms, no one gives two f**ks about the Scorpions.

Many a QRL team has failed or ceased to exist since the Broncos came into being in 88, what makes Logan so important that they deserved any special treatment? And anyway wouldn't this be the role of the ARLC, via the QRL?

Why did you chuck a tantrum when I said Townsville doesn't need a Queensland Cup team because it already has one at NRL level?

If you think Logan is already being catered for, despite having no representation at QRL or NRL level, then why do you believe Townsville needs a QRL and NRL team?

Why bother having a QRL team in Cairns when the city falls under Cowboys' territory?

Cairns Cyclones went bust in the early 2000s. Townsville Stingers didn't last long in the 90s. Neither did the Mackay Sea Eagles.

No one gives two f**ks about the Townsville Blackhawks, Northern Pride or Mackay Cutters. Just like they didn't care about the Stingers, Cyclones and Sea Eagles.

You want the QRL to introduce a team in Logan?

How f**ken hypocritical can you get?

When I contacted the QRL to inquire about bringing back the Scorpions in 2013 you said it means I must have NPD. You never make any sense.

Canard

Immortal
Why did you chuck a tantrum when I said Townsville doesn't need a Queensland Cup team because it already has one at NRL level?

If you think Logan is already being catered for, despite having no representation at QRL or NRL level, then why do you believe Townsville needs a QRL and NRL team?

Why bother having a QRL team in Cairns when the city falls under Cowboys' territory?

Cairns Cyclones went bust in the early 2000s. Townsville Stingers didn't last long in the 90s. Neither did the Mackay Sea Eagles.

No one gives two f**ks about the Townsville Blackhawks, Northern Pride or Mackay Cutters. Just like they didn't care about the Stingers, Cyclones and Sea Eagles.

You want the QRL to introduce a team in Logan?

How f**ken hypocritical can you get?

When I contacted the QRL to inquire about bringing back the Scorpions in 2013 you said it means I must have NPD. You never make any sense.

When did I chuck a tantrum about the Blackhawks?

I don't want anyone to introduce a team in Logan, I was making the point that you seem to blame the Broncos for the Scorpions demise, but not the QRL?

It's mental that you see one suburb in Brisbane as being a higher priority in any expansion discussion.

When did I chuck a tantrum about the Blackhawks?

A few months ago.

I don't want anyone to introduce a team in Logan, I was making the point that you seem to blame the Broncos for the Scorpions demise, but not the QRL?

I've said plenty about the QRL over the years.

It's mental that you see one suburb in Brisbane as being a higher priority in any expansion discussion.

This is the second time you've incorrectly referred to Logan as a "suburb".

Logan is a city with 70 suburbs and 363,301 people. It is twice the size of Townsville.

Don't take my word for it:

On 1 January 1981, Logan was declared a city. Our administration building in Wembley Road was opened in February 1981. Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

You really have no idea about the geography and history of the Greater Brisbane area.

If you're going to say that the City of Logan's 363,301 permanent residents shouldn't have a Queensland Cup team or one at NRL level, then why do you want tiny cities like Cairns and Townsville to have one?

Cronulla is a suburb in a shire that has 231,723 people.

Parramatta is a city that has 259,878 people.

On the one hand you're happy with Cronulla and Parramatta having teams in the NRL. On the other hand, you reckon Logan shouldn't have a team at any level, despite the fact it's much larger than Cronulla and Parramatta. It's an insane double standard and it makes no sense.

Last edited: