What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane v Sydney crowds

Frailty

First Grade
I agree as a Broncos supporter i would like less friday night games. I stopped buying a season ticket because they are such a pain in the arse to get to and from. People keep putting the boot into the Broncos on here as if they make up the draw! This club still outdraws any other side even though they are live on FTA most Fridays. Do the people on here bitching about their sides lack of Friday night coverage realise what effect live FTA games will have on their teams attendances?

Do you realise that your club made a record half yearly profit this year and they directly said that this was due to the amount of Friday night coverage they got?

It's not hard to outdraw Sydney sides when you are the only team in the city, and you get almost guaranteed FTA coverage every week to increase exposure, etc.

Brutus

Referee
Do you realise that your club made a record half yearly profit this year and they directly said that this was due to the amount of Friday night coverage they got?

It's not hard to outdraw Sydney sides when you are the only team in the city, and you get almost guaranteed FTA coverage every week to increase exposure, etc.

Hence the need for a 2nd Brisbane team.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

No its not hard to outdraw Sydney sides because not enough Sydney based supporters attend games. Like i said earlier do you think live FTA games for Sydney clubs will increase their crowds. No it wont. Profits are also driven by bums on seats. If a club is well run and successful this will happen. Live coverage will not help this you need people to go to games. How much revenue in ticket sales do you think the Broncos miss out on because they are live on FTA?

Frailty

First Grade
No its not hard to outdraw Sydney sides because not enough Sydney based supporters attend games. Like i said earlier do you think live FTA games for Sydney clubs will increase their crowds. No it wont. Profits are also driven by bums on seats. If a club is well run and successful this will happen. Live coverage will not help this you need people to go to games. How much revenue in ticket sales do you think the Broncos miss out on because they are live on FTA?

No it's not hard to outdraw Sydney sides because the population of Sydney is split between 8 teams, and there are games on every weekend in Sydney, as opposed to every second week for one team in Brisbane.

Furthermore, I am talking on the basis of FTA coverage - not necessarily live FTA coverage. I don't believe there has been much research on the impact of live FTA coverage has on crowds in Rugby League so you can't claim one way or the other. What I can claim is that despite having live games available on foxtel, crowds have generally increased or remained stable.

The Broncos have stated the favourable FTA coverage they received directly related to an increase in Merchandise sales, and sponsorship money - both of which are much more valuable than the 'bums on seats' whether you like it or not.

More exposure leads to more interest, which leads to more sponsorship dollars, more merchandise - AND MORE MEMBERS which more than makes up for crowd numbers.

firechild

First Grade

Per capita the attendance levels in Sydney absolutely shit all over those in Brisbane. Being well run has absolutely nothing to do with it. The donkeys would have to sell out Suncorp for EVERY home game to have even close to the same percentage of their potential fanbase attending games.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
No it's not hard to outdraw Sydney sides because the population of Sydney is split between 8 teams, and there are games on every weekend in Sydney, as opposed to every second week for one team in Brisbane.

Furthermore, I am talking on the basis of FTA coverage - not necessarily live FTA coverage. I don't believe there has been much research on the impact of live FTA coverage has on crowds in Rugby League so you can't claim one way or the other. What I can claim is that despite having live games available on foxtel, crowds have generally increased or remained stable.

The Broncos have stated the favourable FTA coverage they received directly related to an increase in Merchandise sales, and sponsorship money - both of which are much more valuable than the 'bums on seats' whether you like it or not.

More exposure leads to more interest, which leads to more sponsorship dollars, more merchandise - AND MORE MEMBERS which more than makes up for crowd numbers.

Marketing has a large impact on the ability of a team to sell merchandise and attract sponsors. The Broncos would attract sponsors and sell merchandise if they were on live FTA on not. Why do you think they are shown on FTA so often? They are one of if not the most heavily supported football clubs in Australia in any code. How have they achieved this? They havent always dominated Friday night games. I remember complaining about us never playing Friday nights now im sick of it. Your team just needs to be marketed/sold better just being on tv doesnt mean more people will see them they have to watch in order for that to happen.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Per capita the attendance levels in Sydney absolutely shit all over those in Brisbane. Being well run has absolutely nothing to do with it. The donkeys would have to sell out Suncorp for EVERY home game to have even close to the same percentage of their potential fanbase attending games.

This is false. LIke i have said earlier if Broncos games were not live FTA so often on Friday i estimate they would average 40000+ per game. Are you saying there should be less teams is Sydney?

Frailty

First Grade

So you disagree with your club's opinion that their RECORD half yearly profit was driven by their exposure on FTA.

Do you want to know why your team is 'more successful' than Sydney clubs. One team city (no competition for sponsors, supporters, etc), privately owned by News Limited (no risk of collapse leads to 'riskier' business decisions that will lead to higher benefit if successful), more FTA coverage to grow, etc.

Whether you like it or not, your club is not doing any better in terms of management than any other team. Instead, they are operating in a much friendlier environment than the Sydney clubs.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
If your team were to move to the Central Coast they to could become a one team town/region. Maybe they should look into it. Whinging about the Broncos situation will not help you. They are the biggest drawcard the competition has its that simple.

Frailty

First Grade
If your team were to move to the Central Coast they to could become a one team town/region. Maybe they should look into it. Whinging about the Broncos situation will not help you. They are the biggest drawcard the competition has its that simple.

The only thing simple is you.

Do you think the Central Coast has the population or corporate support of Brisbane region? That just shows you are absolutely foolish.

If you honestly think it is right that a team with many advantages already gets given the further advantage of weekly FTA, then you are dumber than I thought.

This has nothing to do with my team at all. But the other 14 teams in the competition as well who deserve a fair go of the product. The Broncos do not contribute 75% of the income in the game, but a rewarded with 75% of their games on FTA.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Anyway ive read this entire thread and still cant figure out what side to take.
The money is great but i definatley feel like ive been hung out to dry my Grant and his buddies.

We could wait and see what they do with the money but going on the track record of the parties involved it doesnt look promising. Many people think the Broncos are big winners and maybe they are but their fans sure is shit arent. 9/10 of them would tell you they are sick of Friday night games as well.

One thing im sure of is Chanel 9 should not have the rights because going on THEIR track record we are all f**ked.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I don't begrudge the Broncos for the scheduling. It's 9 and the NRL that are too blame for it.
But the Broncos are getting massive benefits out of it.

Frailty

First Grade
Anyway ive read this entire thread and still cant figure out what side to take.
The money is great but i definatley feel like ive been hung out to dry my Grant and his buddies.

We could wait and see what they do with the money but going on the track record of the parties involved it doesnt look promising. Many people think the Broncos are big winners and maybe they are but their fans sure is shit arent. 9/10 of them would tell you they are sick of Friday night games as well.

One thing im sure of is Chanel 9 should not have the rights because going on THEIR track record we are all f**ked.

If posting a half year record profit directly linked to Channel Nine is being f**ked, then I have ZERO pity for the Broncos.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Do crowds increase when they play at your stadium? I bet they do.

Again that theory is broken.
Of course there would be a lot of broncos fans in Sydney.
Anyone that moves from Brisbane to Sydney would support the Broncos, Sydneysiders that move to Brisbane aren't necessarily Sharks fans...............

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I don't begrudge the Broncos for the scheduling. It's 9 and the NRL that are too blame for it.
But the Broncos are getting massive benefits out of it.

This will probably sound like false hope but lets see what they come up with when the draw is released. The Cows have had a great year. I would hope to see them play more Friday games next year. And the Broncos have had a f**ken woeful finish thus far.
They Broncos have even requested to have games played on Sundays but been refused. Take this weekend for example.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Again that theory is broken.
Of course there would be a lot of broncos fans in Sydney.
Anyone that moves from Brisbane to Sydney would support the Broncos, Sydneysiders that move to Brisbane aren't necessarily Sharks fans...............

Your earlier post stated they arent a big drawcard in NSW please make up your mind.