What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters
Crushers was a good name for a SEQ team and Cutters would be too. Not so much for a team called Brisbane though. Not many cane fields in the city for some reason. Cyclones is definitely a northern name, as is Stingers and both are/were taken anyway (Cairns Cyclones and Townsville Stingers). Basketball stole Crocs and Taipans, though Crocs is a north Qld name too.

BDGS

Bench
To be fair his credibility went out the window with the CQ bit though. CQ is no hope, and neither should it be.

To be fair, he never said that he had any mail on CQ. He just stated his own opinion, When talking about the "Perth" bid he stated that he had "mail" (i.e. not his opinion) that they are in.

I don't mean that he has "mail" saying CQ are in, I mean his opinion has no cred for suggesting they should be. If he really does have "mail" about Perth then that's different. And I hope he's right.

BDGS

Bench
well he said he has "mail", so unless you are calling him a liar he must have mail.

While Vautin is a weird, non-funny, poor host of the footy show i have to admit a lot of the time his mail is correct.

Goddo

Bench
The state has things other than horses and people who ride them.

Brisbane Tractors? Seriously though, this is harder than I thought.

What about off-the-wall names? (Not Pink Floyd)

I really like the "Boston 13s" and the Irish spin in America. 13 players, 13 original states, "13" looks like a "B". Could a "celtic" or other nation-styled club brand work in Brisbane?

Brsbane Gunners? with an artillery/military styled brand, with 19th century styled artillery logo? Maybe some sort of armoured corps identity with a WW1 tank logo?

Jets - the name rocks and would be good to have back in the NRL, but can't use that one.

Brisbane Hammers? mean tradie as a mascot... I guess we don't need another Thor styled team in Qld either (Titans)

Brisbane SM2? As in the missile.

Maybe a plant name? Clovers, warratahs, et cetera can work. Brisbane Lantana?

-----------------

asside, PNG could be the Port Moresby Angels, as in Fuzzy Wuzzy Warrior kind. That would rock as a name.

BDGS

Bench
Fatty Vautin backs Central Queensland and Perth for expansion on Triple M

"My mail is the next team to come into the competition will be Perth, I've been told that's a given, they want ... the NRL actually wants a team there."

"before a second Brisbane team i would have Central Queensland, because between Brisbane and Townsville there is a thousand kilometres of hungry Rugby League supporters who want a team to support."

Video Link: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150115618543514&oid=287492087899&comments&ref=mf

Dogs Of War

Coach
Bull Ants are not intimidating they are squashed easily.

Brisbane Wolves.

But they do bite, and can carry 1000 times there weight. Plus uniquely Australian. If I was going for a Wolves type thing, I would probably go Dingos. But Brisbane Dingos doesn't have that ring to it.

well he said he has "mail", so unless you are calling him a liar he must have mail.

While Vautin is a weird, non-funny, poor host of the footy show i have to admit a lot of the time his mail is correct.
What he thinks is "mail" might not be. Plenty of people say they are in the know but aren't really. And things can change too.

BDGS

Bench
Hmm that is true, i wonder how old his mail is. If it is from late last year, then i wonder if it was the same thing i was told. If so, the NRL have preferred Expansion teams.

Brisbane Tractors? Seriously though, this is harder than I thought.

What about off-the-wall names? (Not Pink Floyd)

I really like the "Boston 13s" and the Irish spin in America. 13 players, 13 original states, "13" looks like a "B". Could a "celtic" or other nation-styled club brand work in Brisbane?

Brsbane Gunners? with an artillery/military styled brand, with 19th century styled artillery logo? Maybe some sort of armoured corps identity with a WW1 tank logo?

Jets - the name rocks and would be good to have back in the NRL, but can't use that one.

Brisbane Hammers? mean tradie as a mascot... I guess we don't need another Thor styled team in Qld either (Titans)

Brisbane SM2? As in the missile.

Maybe a plant name? Clovers, warratahs, et cetera can work. Brisbane Lantana?

-----------------

asside, PNG could be the Port Moresby Angels, as in Fuzzy Wuzzy Warrior kind. That would rock as a name.

Brisbane Brothers would be good with a Fighting Irish logo (and it could fit my prefereed white, green and blue colours) but the Brothers clubs in Qld is already an entity in itself and Brisbane Brothers still exists on the northside of the river. The Brothers clubs would have to be involved and they are not.

Plant names are lame. Otherwise the one that would make most sense would be poinsettias because that's what the traditional Brisbane rep team logo is. But that rep side also wears red and white like St George so it's not really a goer. And the flower itself is pink so steer clear of that.

The other traditional nickname used by the Brisbane rep side was Capitals or Capitols and that's also lame.

Goddo

Bench
Australia's first light horse regiment came from Queensland too. I think it was also where they put Emu feathers in slouchies for mounted/light cavalry units first.

Some sort of spin on this?

Its hard. You have to find some sort of element that captures Brisbane/Queensland but that can be grown into a unique culture and brand. It can be done, but requires thought.

Either that or you just randomly give the team a name, but that can be a plastic "franchise" and impersonal. For some reason the Raiders, Broncos, Titans and Storm imediately spring to mind.

BDGS

Bench
Brisbane Brothers would be good with a Fighting Irish logo (and it could fit my prefereed white, green and blue colours) but the Brothers clubs in Qld is already an entity in itself and Brisbane Brothers still exists on the northside of the river. The Brothers clubs would have to be involved and they are not.

Plant names are lame. Otherwise the one that would make most sense would be poinsettias because that's what the traditional Brisbane rep team logo is. But that rep side also wears red and white like St George so it's not really a goer. And the flower itself is pink so steer clear of that.

The other traditional nickname used by the Brisbane rep side was Capitals or Capitols and that's also lame.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i the name "brothers" has a religious connection and history to it, i don't think it is in the best interest of this team or the NRL to have a team restricted by religious connections and history.

grouch

First Grade
What about the "Yowie". Like the Aussie version of the yeti. A town in SE Qld claims to be the home of the mythical Yowie. So it works. Kilcoy is it?

What about the "Yowie". Like the Aussie version of the yeti. A town in SE Qld claims to be the home of the mythical Yowie. So it works. Kilcoy is it?
I think Kilkoy may even have a footy team called the Yowies. There's also the Newcastle Yowies who Timana Tahu played for at the Aboriginal KO. I don't mind the name. Not sure what the logo would be.

grouch

First Grade
I think Kilkoy may even have a footy team called the Yowies. There's also the Newcastle Yowies who Timana Tahu played for at the Aboriginal KO. I don't mind the name. Not sure what the logo would be.
A massive scary ape like monster! Has potential