What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane's Defensive Problems Need Addressing

6togo

Juniors
This afternoon's game @ Suncorp showed that Darren Lockyer's defense is diabolical. 12 tackles and 7 mistackles for the afternoon.

But what is more alarming is the problems he has when numbers are thrown at him. He has trouble reading the play and I would have thought a player of his ability would be able to at least see how the play is going to unfold.

He tries to compensate for this by running up out of the line but that does nothing to improve the situation as more often than not it presents a whole in the defensive line.

Whilst I believe he is one of the greatest attacking players we have seen in the history of our great game it is something that Brisbane must address and do so quickly in my opinion.

You could move Lockyer to fullback in defense but I don't think Karmichael Hunt would perform much better in the front line. Any opinions (constructive only please)?

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Doesnt Stu Kelly play 5/8th in reserves? J/k's... I dont think Hunt would do any better then Lockyer in defense to be honest.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Speaking of diabolic, how is cutie going??

He has done very little all year....

He moved like a statue when Barrett ran around him to score the first try.

bluesbreaker

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
Speaking of diabolic, how is cutie going??

He has done very little all year....

He moved like a statue when Barrett ran around him to score the first try.

:lol:

kickback

Juniors
Locky did strugle in defence today, but to his credit he was injured for the majority of the game. I just think they need to use a more sliding defencive pattern then they are using at the momment. Burro and Hodges played well and contained there centres for most of the game. I dont think moving locky to fullback in defence is the answer.

I'm sure Bennet will sit down with them this week and discuss a few things about the game. Draggons were red hot and deserved the win, at least we know how much work we have to do now, and not just crusing 6 points clear at the top.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Harold Bishop said:
Doesnt Stu Kelly play 5/8th in reserves? J/k's... I dont think Hunt would do any better then Lockyer in defense to be honest.

He's been dropped in favour of Greg Eastwood, poor Stu :lol:

elyod138

Bench
Stu Kelly is injured, that's why Eastwood is there, he was playing well at 5/8 for the clydies before he was injured.

Razor

Coach
Lockyers defence has always been terrible, which is the main reason he isn't even in the equation for being the Worlds best player.

sydraider

First Grade
DEFENSIVE ISSUES???

godd, hope the trend continues, BRONCOS dont have the heart or the passion of previous competition winners, you will make up the numbers again this year!

Knightmare

Coach
The Broncos are beginning to look tired. The other problem is that they've been up the top all year, they have no improvement left in them. Teams like St George and Wests are peaking at the right time. Should make to a great finals series, even though Newcastle won't be in it. Means I can sit back, relax and enjoy some bloody good footy without red and blue contacts in!

Meanie

Juniors
Darren Lockyer wasn't the problem with Brisbane's defence today, the problem was marker defence. Brisbane's defence otherwise was sensational but it doesn't count for much when the Dragon's kept on picking up easy metres from dummy half.Lockie's not a bad defender for someone his size, he's just not really solid enough to defend consistently in the line.

RABK

Referee
Me and my mates stopped at a friends for a drink on the way home from Newie tonight.

We watched about 20 minutes of the replay of the Dragons vs Broncos game, Lockyer's defensive efforts had us in ruptures of laughter! :LOL:

avsterooster

Juniors
ive said it before and been slammed and ill say it again and be slammed
but i personally think soley thinking in terms of a 5/8 i think barrett is better then lockyer. His defense is suberb and when he runs at the line he is at his most dangerous.

Razor

Coach
avsterooster said:
ive said it before and been slammed and ill say it again and be slammed
but i personally think soley thinking in terms of a 5/8 i think barrett is better then lockyer. His defense is suberb and when he runs at the line he is at his most dangerous.

I agree completely. If Lockyer wasn't a Bronco he wouldn't be in the Australian team since he was moved to 5/8th

aqua_duck

Coach
The only thing Lockyer has on Barrett is consistency and temperament.
But Barrett is such an awesome athlete, I mean he's 92kg, solid guy, very strong, great hands, kicking game, and speed to burn.
In the past Loickyer's defensive problems have helped Tonie Carroll get a run in the australian team but even the bodyguard can't help anymore.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Barrett right now is playing better but locky's still the better player overall. He adds more in attack and leadership and doesnt attack people from behind. Ok his defence is woeful but it's all about balancing things out.

I think lockyer needs to do a LOT of defensive work. Seymour started off poorly this year but he's really improved in the 2nd half of the year.

I think brisbanes problems with getting 'tired' in the back end of seasons is not having enough youthful exuberance added. Look at the dragons young forwards firing now, and last year the cowboys young forwards really stepped up. Whilst i think brisband have a strong bench, they're not explosive

Mr Saab

Referee
brisbanes problem is that they had no dummy half and a crap bench.
I am an admirer of Bennett, but his continual use of D Smith is crazy.
The quicker barry berrigan comes back the better.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how easy did Barrett get past Hunt,

Hunt couldn't even lay a hand on him