What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos aim to bring Hannant, Civoniceva back

renouf

Juniors
AFTER declaring last month they won't enter the race for Ben Hannant, the Broncos are set to launch bids for both the homesick Bulldog and fellow Australian Test prop Petero Civoniceva. But it is ex-Cowboy Shane Tronc, likely to make his Broncos club debut tomorrow week, who is poised to deliver a more immediate boost to the last-placed club's big man stocks.
Wakefield Trinity prop Tronc, 28, is expected to report to training at Red Hill as early as Monday - only hours after Sunday's must-win clash against fellow battlers Cronulla at Suncorp Stadium - on a deal for the remainder of 2010.
He is also likely to be named for Brisbane's round 7 clash against the Bulldogs in Sydney on April 23.
Hannant remains a key long-term recruitment target for Brisbane, despite the club appearing to drop out of the race for his signature on March 19.
At the time, the Broncos claimed the Hannant publicity was an unwanted distraction for its young squad, averting a potential bidding war with the Gold Coast.

It is believed Brisbane also questioned Hannant's motives amid revelations he sought an upscaled deal from his $350,000 a season contract at the Bulldogs.
Brisbane are now ready to begin formal talks with their 2006 premiership player but any potential deal for 2011 still requires an early release from Belmore.
Bulldogs chief executive officer Todd Greenberg has stated his club will seek compensation or two quality players in exchange for the Test forward.
However, 215-game club legend Civoniceva is considered a strong chance to finish his glittering career in Brisbane.
Formal negotiations between the Broncos and Civoniceva's manager David Phillips began yesterday.
The Penrith captain, who is now honouring the final year of his three-year deal with the Panthers, has made no secret of his interest in a return home.
But the lionhearted Test forward has also formed close emotional ties with Penrith.
He described his situation as "a huge decision to make".
Tronc's imminent arrival appears certain after an official release from his British Super League club Wakefield Trinity.
But the former Cowboy, who played 125 NRL games from 2004-09, must still play one final game for the Wildcats in Saturday's Challenge Cup fourth-round tie against the Harlequins at The Stoop.
Raw 20-year-old duo Mitchell Dodds and Dunamis Lui are currently the club's form front-rowers.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-civoniceva-back/story-e6frep66-1225853806553

Hmm, I'd be rubbing my hands together if we can land both of these guys, give Lockyer one last opportunity to play behind the forward pack he deserves.

applesauce

Bench
I hope they chase Tolman first with Petro, if Tolman says no then if they insist on signing him Hannant will still be there wanting out of the contract only allowed to deal with us and the GC.

We could probably pick up Tolman for 300k, saving us a bit more money for a player of about the same potential and giving us a prop that probably won't do a runner on us for more money when his contract expires or even sooner like he has with the Bulldogs.

beads6

First Grade
What is the bet we sign Tronc, Hannat, Petro and lose all our our gun young props coming through the ranks... I will lose my F##KEN mind

screeder

Juniors
Yeah, hopefully hang on to the young guns. Tronc and Petero won't be around for ever. Unless Tronc really steps up he won't get a contract with the club next year. A lot of young props know they can't expect to crack first grade at the age of 19 like backs can anyway.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
read a similar article in league week yesterday....would be awsome if we could sign them both. Having Petro working with our young forwards would b almost priceless 4 us

bron_cos

Juniors
ben not worth the money would rather tolman or lima, PETRO is a must prob on a 2-3 year deal but playing 1 maybe 2 and mentor/forwards coach for the other year/years. He should of got that 4years ago. We will resign tronc for prob 2-3 years after this one and our go forward with them too would be great two big lumberjacks rolling on with kenny, anderson and lui or sims on the bench

johns_reds

First Grade
love to see civ back, he'd be a great mentor, 1 or 2 years with the broncos forwards and kenny/anderson and some of the younger blokes will be flying hopefully by the time he retired. If you could Hannant to that then we would have a great forward pack for the next 4-5 years. The only thing is i hope if we do get Hannant we don't pay overs for him.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Look Civo returning would be gr8 at the right price and his mentoring of Hala, Lui etc would also b gr8, however, Hannant is essential. All the crap about $$$$$$ is all hearsay, and Ben would be locked away 4 the best years of his career if we could get him on a 3 yr deal. I honestly feel if we get both we are def top 4 material again and seriously challenging the Storm & Dragons 4 titles. I like Sims but to get these two back I'd b willing to let Setu, Sims and Teo go. We're covered for backrowers with Thaiday, Parker and Gillett. Lui, Lingwoodock, Hala and Tariq Sims could create impact off the bench with a quality pack lead by these 2 guys. Ben Hannant has been bucketed by just about all and sundry in regards to loyalty but as a professional footballer he has the right to earn good $ 4 himself and his family and fulfilled his contract admirably whilst in Bronco colours. I 4 one would be chuffed to see Ben Hannant suit up 4 the Broncos again !

ponies 4ever

Juniors
The part I heard they said he had an option in his favour but rumours were growing fast he was returning to the Broncos. Will make interesting viewing.........................:?

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Seen on foxsports news this morning Civo saying he will have a decision on his future in around 2 weeks time. Interesting times ahead .......