What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos and Storm get most benefit from hometown refereeing

Dr.J

Juniors
Not a surprising finding. Also not surprising that on a News Limited website that they didn't mention that News Limited pay 50% of the referees salaries and also own the Storm & Broncos.

From AAP/Foxsports:

Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos benefitting from favourable penalty counts at home
  • By Steve Jancetic
Right side of the refs .... Cameron Smith's side have enjoyed a favourable count at home. Source: News Limited
Forget 'Fortress Brookvale', it's Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos who have benefited most when it comes to home crowds influencing NRL referees this season.

The Storm and Broncos have enjoyed a stunning advantage in relation to penalty counts at home - a factor which could prove particularly telling heading into the finals.

Both sides are guaranteed home games in the opening week of the finals - and could play at their favoured venues right up until the preliminary finals.

Likely minor premiers Melbourne have lost just two of 12 penalty counts at AAMI Park in 2011 - a figure even more staggering when compared to the fact they have fallen foul of the referees in all ten games they have played outside the Victorian capital.
At Suncorp Stadium, the NRL's highest average attendance has helped the Broncos to a 9-1 advantage in penalty counts at home, a tally that grows to double figures if the Manly home game which was played in Brisbane is included.
Sea Eagles officials have engaged in much protestation over the fact they won't get to play at Brookvale Oval during the finals series but, despite their unbeaten record on the northern beaches so far this year, it hasn't come with the aid of a leg-up from the referees.

Of all the sides who have secured, or are in contention, for a top-four finish - the Sea Eagles have encountered the worst time of it at home.
They have won just four of nine penalty counts at home, which matches their tally away from Brookvale.
Of the four sides battling it out for the last of the home finals in week one of the play-offs, all have enjoyed a healthy lift from the referees on home soil.
The Warriors have lost the penalty count at home just twice this year compared to away from home where they have won it just once, North Queensland Cowboys' numbers are similar with just one lost penalty count at home compared to nine losses away.
Wests Tigers, despite their plethora of home grounds, have been on the right side of the referee in nine of 11 games at home.
While St George Illawarra scratch around for someone or something to blame for their slide down the ladder, the men in the middle aren't one of them.
They have won seven of ten penalty counts at home so far, including five of six over the back half of the season during which their premiership hopes have nosedived.

gUt

Coach
tinfoilhatarea.jpg

sting

Bench
No surprises here really.

Not to mention the refs are intimidated by the top players in the game eg Lockyer, Smith, Slater etc

Storm got away with murder as per usual, including at least occasions where a third man dived at the legs of a held player. I thought that had been outlawed? Depends who you are I guess

gUt

Coach
It's almost like the best, most disciplined teams get penalized less.

busterc

Juniors
What a wank.
The most disciplined sides(usually the better teams) win the penalty count. What a surprise.
And they dont call it home ground advantage for nothing.
Must be a slow news day.

Billythekid

First Grade
As far as i can tell pretty much every team is winning the penalty count the majority of time when they play at home. The difference is that we get hammered with penalties when we play away. How this is being spun to somehow favoring us is nothing more than the aforementioned tin foil hat syndrome.

Not a surprising finding. Also not surprising that on a News Limited website that they didn't mention that News Limited pay 50% of the referees salaries and also own the Storm & Broncos.

Right, of course news ltd are paying off the refs to cheat for the storm and broncos. Even better they only slip the refs money when the storm and broncos are playing at home. Genius!

How f*cking dumb can you get.

No surprises here really.

Not to mention the refs are intimidated by the top players in the game eg Lockyer, Smith, Slater etc

Storm got away with murder as per usual

What are the total penalty counts for and against for the storm? Have we actually gotten more penalties than we have given away?

including at least occasions where a third man dived at the legs of a held player. I thought that had been outlawed? Depends who you are I guess

You can't dive in and attack the legs. You can come in as third man and wrap up the legs which players like Hinchcliffe still do for us and there is nothing wrong with it.

Maybe i'm just tired from work tonight but f*ck peoples IQ's seem to drop when they are discussing the storm. I need some sleep.

jonno_knights

Juniors
There was a stage of the season where the Broncos had won 13 penalty counts and lost zero

12-1-0 I think is was...absolute joke, no team is that well behaved.

Funny how some of the top teams, who are reguarded as the best 'wrestlers' get the rub of the green so much in the penalty count...they get away with slowing the play the ball down where other teams dont.

sting

Bench
What are the total penalty counts for and against for the storm? Have we actually gotten more penalties than we have given away?

I was more alluding to the legitimacy of some penalties given and the times when none were given at all on Friday night, as opposed to the actual counts.

You can't dive in and attack the legs. You can come in as third man and wrap up the legs which players like Hinchcliffe still do for us and there is nothing wrong with it.

Maybe i'm just tired from work tonight but f*ck peoples IQ's seem to drop when they are discussing the storm. I need some sleep.

I disagree. There were at least 2 occasions when someone came running in late and diving at the legs.

AuDragon

Juniors
So let me get this straight, this is the penalty count in favour of the mentioned teams ar home:

Melbourne 10-2
Manly 5-5
Brisbane 9-1
Warriors 9-2
Cowboys 10-1
Tigers 9-2
Dragons 7-3

I might be wrong but the penalty count in favour of Tigers, Warriors and Cowboys is as good as Storm and Broncos, yet because they are related to News, they're the ones getting most benefit. Right... :lol:

It has nothing to do with the fact that those are the better teams this season for sure! :sarcasm:

Please refer to post 2 of this thread. :crazy:

Cue the silvertails...

Dr.J

Juniors
It is very unlikely of course that any referee ever goes to a game with the attitude of "I'm going to hammer one team in the penalty count today". However, the very fact that home teams come out in front so much shows that the subconsicous pressure affects human beings.

With respect to News Ltd the subconscious pressure probably comes from the media more than the fact that News contribute to referees paychecks. There are a number of players in the league that the media has painted as "dirty players" (e.g. Matai, Gallen, Ennis, Waerea-Hargreaves etc.) and these players become whipping boys for the refs. That is, every ruck has the defence lying on for ages and after this happens 47 times in a row, the refs decide to select an "undisciplined player" for the eventual penalty (usually from the away team of course). It just so happens that there never seems to be a News Ltd campaign to paint a Bronco or a Storm player as an "undiscplined" player. Yes they talk about grapple tackles and the Storm but individually all of the Storm players get profiled as a highly disciplined unit that is "professionally coached". A guy like Mick Crocker is "undisciplined" and "penalty prone" when he plays for Easts or Souths, but when he spends a few years at the Storm he is seen as a well-drilled professional pushing the laws to the absolute limit. If the Storm or Broncos recruited Ennis or Waerea-Hargreaves then amazingly they might start giving away fewer penalties and it would be put down to superior club culture or the player suddenly becoming more "disciplined". I wouldn't expect it to be due to the referees consciously deciding to not penalise them because they play for News Ltd, but it woud probably coincide with News Ltd journos stopping writing blogs about what "grubs" they are. And why don't they pick on Broncos or Storm players for this sort of treatment. See part A - if News Ltd is paying 100% of your paycheck will you hammer a fellow News employee?

it is only our ridiculous comp where this sort of conflict exists. Imagine if UEFA decided they were buying Man City the soccer club. Everyone would think it was a complete joke if suddenly the referees always seemed to penalise them less in Champions League games.

No one in their right mind should defend conflicts of interest. Everyone should just agree to get rid of them. News should be forced to sell Broncos and Storm - end of story.

HowHigh

Coach
It's almost like the best, most disciplined teams get penalized less.
I was going to say that too, but....

"Likely minor premiers Melbourne have lost just two of 12 penalty counts at AAMI Park in 2011 - a figure even more staggering when compared to the fact they have fallen foul of the referees in all ten games they have played outside the Victorian capital."

Sounds like there is obviously a little influence at home..

Butters

Bench
So refs get it right when Melbourne play at home and the crowd isn't full of wankers who have a sook when a Melbourne player so much as touches one of their players, and wrong when Melbourne play away from home and the crowds full of said wankers.

Sounds about right.

Latest posts