What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon getting closer.....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
To buying a controlling share in the Dragons. I can't copy the link but it is in today's paper. Just working stuff out with NRL to repaying 4mil debt and it's done. Happy days

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Need to suscribe to toe to get access to the story.

The main points I read before I got booted off the site:

- 4million debt to nrl who want it paid in a lump sum, whilst win corp. want to repay in installments.
- issue about where games will be played
- Thankfully St.George get to keep their 50% share in the joint venture. And it also raises a point I made a while ago, that the illawarra side of the merger is dragging down the financial chain. Only negative with st.george getting into bed with win corp? Say goodbye to games at kogarah.

Last edited:

Dragonscales

Juniors
This is crucial to the future success and survival of our club. I don't care how many Kogarah games we have to sacrifice. We need to have proper equipment and facilities where we are miles behind other clubs giving us a major disadvantage. We need to be able to attract players through third party agreements. We need to be able to build a top class team and we need to establish a winning culture.

Don't f**k this up Doust.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
To buying a controlling share in the Dragons. I can't copy the link but it is in today's paper. Just working stuff out with NRL to repaying 4mil debt and it's done. Happy days

Happy days you reckon?
You're kidding. I will wait to see a direct article from the club but if people are complaining about losing Kogarah games now, wait till this takes effect.

St Georgio

Juniors
I wonder how wealthy Actor Bryan Brown, I am 99% certain this guy is St George Dragons man, he grew up in Panania and went to De La Salle College Kingsgrove, He starred in several international productions including Tai-Pan with Joan Chen, F/X – Murder by Illusion, Gorillas in the Mist with Sigourney Weaver and Cocktail with Tom Cruise.
I am sure he would know wealthy connections in the U.S who are keen in owning a club with rich history like the St George Dragons.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Article clearly state's that win corp. are looking to buy the Illawarra side of the merger, 50% of the footy team. They are offering win an additional 3 positions on the board, in addition to the one they already hold, this being Bruce Gordon's son.
St.George will still have 50% stake in the merger. I don't think the situation is like the Newcastle/tinkler debacle. Hopefully at worst if win want to one day sell, st.george can buy into Illawarra or st.george can just go it alone. It's a 'win win'.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
This is crucial to the future success and survival of our club. I don't care how many Kogarah games we have to sacrifice. We need to have proper equipment and facilities where we are miles behind other clubs giving us a major disadvantage. We need to be able to attract players through third party agreements. We need to be able to build a top class team and we need to establish a winning culture.

Don't f**k this up Doust.

Sorry , I don't agree and by your comment, I'm tipping you're not a visitor to, or a fan of Kogarah or the history it brings? We do have proper facilities and utilise Wollongong University's sports science for a range of facilities if needed. The only thing we don't have is a hyperbaric chamber. Not many clubs do.
The question begs..where will our Dragons be based in 5-10 years?

St Georgio

Juniors
We should de-merge.

Straight Shooter

I agree, I am sick of hearing Ray Hadlee throughout his calling of the games, St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra
St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra on on on, at least other commentator will say saints or dragons.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Sorry , I don't agree and by your comment, I'm tipping you're not a visitor to, or a fan of Kogarah or the history it brings? We do have proper facilities and utilise Wollongong University's sports science for a range of facilities if needed. The only thing we don't have is a hyperbaric chamber. Not many clubs do.
The question begs..where will our Dragons be based in 5-10 years?

I live in the St George area and i go to every game that's played in Kogarah, i'm extremely proud of the clubs great history. That being said, there's bigger issues facing the Dragons than just where we play our games. Our facilities and equipment simply are not up to standard with other clubs. I recall Brett Morris talking about the Bulldogs' superiority over the Dragons in terms of facilities, equipment and player rehab. Just look at Penrith's new state of the art facility. Our financial situation is absolutely horrid, so much so that McGregor had to pay for equipment out of his own pocket and that we have almost nothing in third party deals. Also the fact that no player in their right mind would want to play for us... There has been so much talk about expansion in the NRL and i fear that the Dragons in 20 or so years may not be a club anymore or be merged again with other Sydney clubs. We as a club have to make sacrifices and i'm willing to make the trip to ANZ to support my team. Just my opinion. I understand what your saying and i don't think your wrong. But money is everything in the NRL, and we don't have much of it.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I live in the St George area and i go to every game that's played in Kogarah, i'm extremely proud of the clubs great history. That being said, there's bigger issues facing the Dragons than just where we play our games. Our facilities and equipment simply are not up to standard with other clubs. I recall Brett Morris talking about the Bulldogs' superiority over the Dragons in terms of facilities, equipment and player rehab. Just look at Penrith's new state of the art facility. Our financial situation is absolutely horrid, so much so that McGregor had to pay for equipment out of his own pocket and that we have almost nothing in third party deals. Also the fact that no player in their right mind would want to play for us... There has been so much talk about expansion in the NRL and i fear that the Dragons in 20 or so years may not be a club anymore or be merged again with other Sydney clubs. We as a club have to make sacrifices and i'm willing to make the trip to ANZ to support my team. Just my opinion. I understand what your saying and i don't think your wrong. But money is everything in the NRL, and we don't have much of it.

Fair enough mate. I don't agree with a few things written, especially when it involves Brett Morris and there may be a few gossip type 'stories' in there but I respect your opinion on the matter. Much appreciated, cheers.

Prometheus

Juniors
We should de-merge.

Straight Shooter

The NRL licence belongs to the joint-venture. If St George Illawarra broke up, neither team would be automatically entitled to stay in the NRL. People (especially Wests Tigers fans) seem to think that if the JVs split then one team gets to stay. That's because Manly stayed in the comp when the Northern Eagles broke up. But unlike STI and WT, the Eagles were formed AFTER the Bears were told they would be kicked out and were using Manly's NRL licence.

Como Connection

First Grade
I wonder how wealthy Actor Bryan Brown, I am 99% certain this guy is St George Dragons man, he grew up in Panania and went to De La Salle College Kingsgrove, He starred in several international productions including Tai-Pan with Joan Chen, F/X ? Murder by Illusion, Gorillas in the Mist with Sigourney Weaver and Cocktail with Tom Cruise.
I am sure he would know wealthy connections in the U.S who are keen in owning a club with rich history like the St George Dragons.

Bryan was in the year above mine at school. FACT.

Como Connection

First Grade

Count me out of trips to Homebush, bar finals.
New stadium at Moore Park I say.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
I agree, I am sick of hearing Ray Hadlee throughout his calling of the games, St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra
St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra St George Illawarra on on on, at least other commentator will say saints or dragons.
Hadlee, damn hadlee what a complete and total prat across all media.
Why this clown gets a gig calling a game is beyond me.
Shame Andrew wats his name working with fox isn't available, good caller of the footy.
On a side note have to say Goulds comments lately, have brought a good laugh.
The symphony comment a couple of weeks ago was a classic!

Coffs dragon

Bench
The club certainly need something to take them into the future as they seem weighed down by an anchor in the cash less Steelers. The only concern I see with this 50% share buy out is that St.George still have 4 members on the board. Will they be the same dribblers and same Chairman and does that mean Doust cannot be removed. I'm sure the protected species are positioning themselves.

TruSaint

Referee
Just so people understand Gordons position thus far...

In early 2006, WIN Television Network bought a 25% share in the St. George Illawarra club for $6.5 million (half of Illawarra's share), erasing most of the debt Illawarra had to St. George. This formalised the strong support the network has shown for the Steelers in years gone by and ensured that Wollongong will continue to host world class rugby league matches. WIN Corp can only sell their stake back to the Steelers, should they wish to withdraw their involvement, thus ensuring Illawarra are properly represented in the joint venture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illawarra_Steelers

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The NRL licence belongs to the joint-venture. If St George Illawarra broke up, neither team would be automatically entitled to stay in the NRL. People (especially Wests Tigers fans) seem to think that if the JVs split then one team gets to stay. That's because Manly stayed in the comp when the Northern Eagles broke up. But unlike STI and WT, the Eagles were formed AFTER the Bears were told they would be kicked out and were using Manly's NRL licence.
That's right but like all things it comes down to who has the dosh. St George LC does have money and assets are in a better position.

In the case of the Wests Tigers, if that JV broke up I would think that Wests would be the ones better positioned to field a NRL team.