What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a PC

ggmu

Juniors
I've been talking about getting a new pc for a while and I've decided to finally do it. I know jack shit about computer parts but a friend of my wife recommended me some parts a few months ago. What he recommended was an intel core i5-4460 processor, 8gb DDR3 1600MHz Ram, GTX 750 TI 2gb graphics card. Would this be good enough to run games like minecraft (maybe with mods) cities skylines, ark survival, gta on good settings? Just don't wanna go spending money only to realise that it won't run it or it only runs at 2 fps.

some11

Referee
Minecraft and games like that will be fine, forget GTA with that video card - even if you get a better one it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

I would have a look on www.pccasegear.com and get familiar with prices then do your research based off that. There will be price steps between components that reflect the intended use.

bileduct

Coach
Minecraft and games like that will be fine, forget GTA with that video card - even if you get a better one it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.
Absolute rubbish.

Here's how GTA V runs on the exact same hardware config mentioned in the OP.

[youtube]ESk9h4NYmSg[/youtube]

McLovin

Staff member
I haven't upgraded my PC since since it tried to take its own life running Doom 3...

The above setup will be fine for what you want it to do.

nöyd

Staff member
This is a shot of how my GTA V is looking at the minute, from on top of Simeon's car dealership during a storm, looking back at some movie advertisement.

GTA5%202015-12-27%2011-18-12-32_zps6ocbbalx.jpg

I'm also uploading a quick video highlighting a few textural mods in the area of the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I've also got Red Bull, Pepsi, Coca Cola etc. trucks and vans driving around.

Mods on pc give this game a new life, and the surface has only just been scratched.

some11

Referee

For me building a PC for games means a smooth experience, 30-40fps chop is too low.

Spending a bit more just means a better experience and it will last that much longer considering how much new games eat up VRAM.

bileduct

Coach
Not sure yet. When it was put together 6 or so months ago i think he said around $800-$900
Cool.

You can check out Youtube for more videos demonstrating the performance of particular games on certain hardware platforms. There's about a dozen videos for GTA V on your exact config alone. Lots of tips for overclocking and tweaks to achieve better performance at higher detail settings.

nöyd

Staff member
Here's a little video of my GTA V on PC at the moment, in case anyone isn't aware probably the #1 mod for the game is Los Santos Police Department First Response aka LSPDFR, which allows the player to be an officer of the law instead of the usual law breaker in the standard game.

The story behind this video goes like this:

So I'm cruising around the city in my Dodge Charger (another mod), when I get a call-out for a stolen vehicle in the area, so me and another unit give chase in typical US police fashion - gun fire, road spikes etc. - finally bringing the offender to a spectacular halt.

The perp, who looks like fat Sam Thaiday, gives up once he has guns trained on him, so I make the arrest, and organise for prisoner transport to come pick him up. After I move my car off the road and return to the stolen vehicle so I can arrange a tow truck, some random lady goes to steal the car again! So I have another arrest to make - no dramas.

As I'm waiting for transport to come pick her up, ANOTHER guy tries steal the car again - and that's when I decided that this guy needed to be made an example of, and I had reached my breaking point...

[youtube]AyDRHe0mR3k[/youtube]

nöyd

Staff member
And in case anyone was wondering -

i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz (no OC)

12 GB ram

GTX 970

Windows 10 64 bit

ggmu

Juniors
Just heard from the dude that is helping me put together my pc. He has a R7 3702 gd5t oc graphics card and a i56400 2.7 GHz CPU. Anyone know much about these and how they perform?

nöyd

Staff member
Just heard from the dude that is helping me put together my pc. He has a R7 3702 gd5t oc graphics card and a i56400 2.7 GHz CPU. Anyone know much about these and how they perform?

just google reviews about them mate, should tell you everything you need to know

bileduct

Coach
Holy f**k, do not buy from PCCaseGear, ever.

I'm not sure what happened to them (as I used to be a frequent customer of theirs going back about 7-8 years) but they are the slowest and most misleading company I've dealt with in quite a while.