What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldog Ben Roberts caught Drink Driving in an unregistered car

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Official statement from Roberts and Noad:

www.bulldogs.com.au

Yesterday morning Bulldogs player Ben Roberts was charged with a drink-driving offence.

Ben Roberts said, “I tried to do the right thing by not driving on Saturday night.

“I wouldn’t have driven the next morning if I’d known I still had alcohol in my system.

“I’ve learnt a valuable lesson the hard way and I apologise to the Club, the coach, the team, the sponsors and the fans for my actions.

“I’ve learnt I have to take responsibility for my own actions and have given the club a commitment I’ll do that.”

Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said, “We are obviously not impressed by Ben’s actions. There is never any excuse for drink-driving.

“With regard to what action the Club will take, this matter is before the courts and it would be inappropriate to make a judgement on this matter until it has been heard by the courts.”

HevyDevy

Coach
curious said:
Its one thing to go out drinking, then get behind the wheel

Its another thing to go out the night before, wake up drive to training, and not even relise that you still have achohol in your blood system.

He was not intoxicated, he would not have felt anything at all, how would he have known?

Well I'm sure if he explains it like that the judge will let him off with a smile ...

:crazy:

innsaneink

Referee
Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said, “We are obviously not impressed by Ben’s actions. There is never any excuse for drink-driving.

Crap Malcolm, just log onto LU, you'll find plenty.

_Johnsy

Referee
legend said:
Johnsy,

mate you need to take some anger management classes and relax a bit. The Broncos have far more to be proud of than the Dogs and they punish their players accordingly for off field indiscretions.

Try comparing apples with apples mate and settle down a bit. You're starting to sound like Chook!

I understand being lastg on the table brings it's own baggage mate but Dragons players over the years haven't been angels either.

f**k me fire up Johnsy! ;-)

Fair enough.

I just found the comments a bit rich, especially coming from a broncs supporter who was stating that the dogs have brought the game into disrepute. Yes they have to a certain extent, as i posted i see the damage that the broncs orchestrated as much more damaging.

No need to fire up leg, you should be up 6-0. how was tongues try a no try ??

_Johnsy

Referee
badav said:
Hey im more proud to support it than some merged entity with 8 years of history of failure and underachieving.

But carry on anyway.

I see "ignorance is bliss" is the choice of fragrance for those of the gg ilk.

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs star drink-drive appeal

July 12, 2007 - 3:37PM

Bulldogs rugby league player Ben Roberts has been stripped of his driver's licence for three months after being convicted of drink driving by a Sydney court.

However, the 22-year-old halfback immediately launched an appeal against the severity of the sentence.

In Sutherland Local Court today, Roberts pleaded guilty to driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.03 when his P-plate licence requires that he have no alcohol in his system.

He also entered guilty pleas to charges of driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an uninsured vehicle and for not displaying his P-plates.

After drinking the previous night, Roberts was pulled over by police on June 17 in Bellingara Road, Miranda, in Sydney's south.

The following day, he issued a statement apologising for his actions.

"I wouldn't have driven the next morning if I'd known I still had alcohol in my system," he said at the time.

"I've learnt a valuable lesson the hard way and I apologise to the club, the coach, the team, the sponsors and the fans for my actions.

"I've learnt I have to take responsibility for my own actions and have given the club a commitment I'll do that."

Magistrate Kevin Maughan also ordered Roberts to pay fines and court costs totalling more than $1,200.

Roberts immediately lodged appeals against the severity of the penalty on all charges except the offence of not displaying his P-plates.

He will next appear in court on September 27.

Comment is being sought from the club.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bulldogs-star-drinkdrive-appeal/2007/07/12/1183833673224.html

HevyDevy

Coach
Ok, he's got his punishment, no excuses, hopefully he learns from it.

I won't vilify the bloke any further.

Stupid thing to do and I'm sure he knows it.

legend

Coach
I hope they increase the penalty.

He was caught DUI in an unregistered and uninsured car and he thinks a $1200 fine and three month suspension is too heavy?

What a turkey!

Timmah

Staff member
He was caught DUI in an unregistered and uninsured car and he thinks a $1200 fine and three month suspension is too heavy?

I agree he should be punished but it's hardly that clear cut :roll:

Timmah

Staff member
It's not like he was knowledgably drunk, got in a car and drove off.

What I've heard indicates it was the morning after and he thought he was under, decided to take the chance. As for the car I'm pretty sure it was a mate's car that was unregistered. The P plate thing he's not contesting because he can't - that's his responsibility.

His sentence shouldn't be as heavy as someone who's gotten in the car at 1:00am after 5-10 drinks, that's what I mean.