What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs Confirmed Signings & Contract News

little_aza

Juniors
Outstanding buy for the Dogs. He's done very well considering he was on the scrap heap no more than 12 months ago.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/gone-to-the-dogs/

MANLY boss Graham Lowe is backing half Trent Hodkinson to steer the Sea Eagles for the remainder of the NRL season after confirming the youngster was heading to the Bulldogs at the end of the year.
It is understood Hodkinson has signed a three-year deal worth over $800,000 with the Belmore club.
The Bulldogs made their interest in the City half known early, blowing all contenders away with their substantial offer.
Lowe said the Sea Eagles simply could not match the “big money” on offer with salary cap constraints biting the club.
Not even a predicted salary cap increase of $300,000 per year could have helped the Sea Eagles retain the 21-year-old Parramatta junior.
“We would loved to have kept him, but we just couldn’t muck him around and just couldn’t match what was being offered,” Lowe said.
“It’s really disappointing for us and our fans and for Des (coach Des Hasler). It’s really tough for Des having to lose a key player like that. We are just a victim of the circumstances (salary cap) at the moment.”
When asked if blooding another option at halfback or continuing with Hodkinson was the best way for the season ahead, Lowe said:
“That’s up to Des. Trent’s shown this year that he’s not only a good player, but a good guy to have in the place. I am confident he will continue to produce the same 100 per cent commitment to the club that he has done so far this year. The guy goes with our absolute best wishes.”
Hasler said Hodkinson would now freely focus on his 2010 commitments at Manly.
“It’s like the weight is off his shoulders, he was agonising over it and didn’t want to go,” the coach said.
Hodkinson’s exit means the search is on again for a long-term half solution.
Possible options could include moving Foran into the No.7 jersey, with Jamie Lyon reverting back into the halves. Young Sunshine Coast half Daly Cherry-Evans is also another option.
Meanwhile, Hasler said he would know later this week if Origin pair Lyon and Anthony Watmough will be fit for Saturday night’s round 15 match against South Sydney at Brookvale Oval. New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai is definitely back having served a three-match suspension.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Are you kidding me? Why the hell are we paying a rookie that much? Gee's we all know how the Aaron Groom experiment went. This is kind of like a kick in the guts for Benny Barba - he's not on no where near that much. However, this is a local paper article, I might take it with a grain of salt.

cupid

Juniors
Nope his definetly on $800,000, been reported in many different papers. That is why he has left because he is getting 270k a year

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why is it a kick in the guts to Barba? Barba's a 5-8th/FB...

parra pete

Referee
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/gone-to-the-dogs/

MANLY boss Graham Lowe is backing half Trent Hodkinson to steer the Sea Eagles for the remainder of the NRL season after confirming the youngster was heading to the Bulldogs at the end of the year.
It is understood Hodkinson has signed a three-year deal worth over $800,000 with the Belmore club.
The Bulldogs made their interest in the City half known early, blowing all contenders away with their substantial offer.
Lowe said the Sea Eagles simply could not match the “big money” on offer with salary cap constraints biting the club.
Not even a predicted salary cap increase of $300,000 per year could have helped the Sea Eagles retain the 21-year-old Parramatta junior.
“We would loved to have kept him, but we just couldn’t muck him around and just couldn’t match what was being offered,” Lowe said.
“It’s really disappointing for us and our fans and for Des (coach Des Hasler). It’s really tough for Des having to lose a key player like that. We are just a victim of the circumstances (salary cap) at the moment.”
When asked if blooding another option at halfback or continuing with Hodkinson was the best way for the season ahead, Lowe said:
“That’s up to Des. Trent’s shown this year that he’s not only a good player, but a good guy to have in the place. I am confident he will continue to produce the same 100 per cent commitment to the club that he has done so far this year. The guy goes with our absolute best wishes.”
Hasler said Hodkinson would now freely focus on his 2010 commitments at Manly.
“It’s like the weight is off his shoulders, he was agonising over it and didn’t want to go,” the coach said.
Hodkinson’s exit means the search is on again for a long-term half solution.
Possible options could include moving Foran into the No.7 jersey, with Jamie Lyon reverting back into the halves. Young Sunshine Coast half Daly Cherry-Evans is also another option.
Meanwhile, Hasler said he would know later this week if Origin pair Lyon and Anthony Watmough will be fit for Saturday night’s round 15 match against South Sydney at Brookvale Oval. New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai is definitely back having served a three-match suspension.

Gee, that's tough on Manly. Money seems to rule everything..Just when the SeaEagles were just about to get value from him, someone nicks him from under their noses...
Oh, wait a minute.....Hope they can hang onto Tony Williams....

Bulldog Force

Referee
Why is it a kick in the guts to Barba? Barba's a 5-8th/FB...
That's the thing dude. Say Barba was to partner Hodgo in the halves, and Barba being on nowhere near what Hodgo's on, how would he feel working with someone who's less than 12 months older earning much more? That's only a minor issue but (IMO) - I'm more concerned on why we're paying a 21 year old so much money. He's no Benji Marshall... yet we're throwing the cheque book at him :(

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
If you want a decent young half to build your team around for the next decade, you've probably found one. Barba wouldn't have been the guy to lead a team around. Its a good purchase.

Doga

Juniors
I haven't been impressed by what I have seen of him. Foran is twice the player he is

Timmah

Staff member
Why are we calling him Hodgo? We have Hodgo in the forwards already and there's no G in his name.

Call him Hokko or something.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I care - calling him Hodgo = confusing as hell.
I'm sure I read somewhere someone called him Hodgo - and I was thinking it'd be confusing if we called him that at Belmore. I remember when we had both Shane and Adam Perry at the club.

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs confirm signing of Trent Hodkinson 2011-2013

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have made a major investment in their future, signing 21 year old halfback Trent Hodkinson to a three year deal encompassing NRL seasons 2011-2013.

Hodkinson made his NRL debut for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles in round two of the 2010 season. Just six games later he made his representative debut for City against Country in Port Macquarie.

Bulldogs head coach Kevin Moore says snaring such an exciting young talent is a great acquisition for the club.

"I've had my eye on Trent for some time now,” Moore said. “There is no better young halfback in the game and we're very happy to have him on board.
"We as a club have been impressed to see his game develop and I expect he'll form a great combination working alongside the likes of Mick Ennis."

Trent Hodkinson
Date of Birth: 31 August, 1988
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 86 kg
Position: Halfback
Rep. Honours: City Origin 2010 (1 game)
Junior Club: Cabramatta
FG Debut: Manly v Parramatta, Parramatta Stadium, Sunday March 21 2010 (R2)

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26816