What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs defeat Avalanche

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Nothing to report other than a score, but I am sure I will have more information in the coming days. The British Columbia Bulldogs, a select team from British Columbia Rugby League, defeated the AMNRL's Utah Avalanche 48-12 on Saturday afternoon in Kelowna.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Was it a proper game of Rugby League or as scrimmage game?
Although I had hoped to attend the game, work commitments forced me to cancel (I'm a two hour ferry ride and about six hours driving away from Kelowna), so I wasn't there. But I have no reason to believe it wasn't anything other than a regular game. I'm not sure the Avalanche would have travelled all that way to scrimmage, and I don't think British Columbia Rugby League would have presented anything other than a proper game. It was played at the Apple Bowl in Kelowna, a stadium that seats at least 1,000 people. They had regulation rugby league goalposts installed for the game (generally the facility has Canadian football posts or soccer posts), so yeah, I'm sure it was more than a scrimmage.:)

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I'll add a little more here. The Apple Bowl seats over 1,000 in a recently refurbished grandstand with an additional 1,200 in aluminum bleachers (I'm asssuming they are across the field from the grandstand). I don't know how many attended the game, but the site has hosted two Canadian Bowls (Canadian junior football championship game), so is a quality facility. In the last Canadian Bowl there was an announced attendance of 6,200, so they must have brought in some extra seating.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
A further update. I corresponded with the BCRL's development officer about yesterday's game. It was played under international rules with two 40-minute halves, an accredited Australian referee and two official touch judges. A Kelowna newspaper account of the contest said there were a "few hundred" spectators in attendance for this first ever rugby league game in Kelowna.
The British Columbia Bulldogs will now travel to Salt Lake City for a September 8 rematch and follow that up with a game in Calgary, Alberta against a select team from that province on September 29. Finally, British Columbia will face a "combined team" from the AMNRL's Western League on November 10 in Las Vegas.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Could you put a link to the Kelowna papers report?
Unfortunately one needs to subscribe to the Kelowna Daily Courier to see the article, but this is the text sent to me by the BCRL rep I spoke about.

The B.C. Bulldogs gave fans what they came to see.
A showcase of Rugby League - a faster, harder-hitting version of the sport than the traditional Rugby Union - and also a big victory, 48-12 over the visiting Utah Avalanche on Saturday afternoon at the Apple Bowl. It was the Bulldogs' debut and the first international Rugby League game played in Kelowna, in front of a few hundred fans on a sweltering hot day.
"We only actually trained (on Friday) for the first time fully as a team, so considering that, I think we did absolutely amazing," said speedy back Jared Curry, one of four Kelowna Crows on the provincial squad and the only B.C.-born player on the Canada Wolverines national team. "We put up a lot of points, a lot of big hits, so I'm sure the fans loved it.
"After a game like this, I'm sure even more people will come out next time."
It's unknown when that will be, with the Bulldogs' schedule still a work in progress and their next contest a return trip to Salt Lake City, Utah, to rematch the Avalanche on Sept. 7.
"It must have been nice and enlightening for some of the Kelowna fans to see Rugby League for the first time, and to host the first-ever B.C. Bulldogs game is something special too," said Bulldogs coach Andy Blackburn, whose side raced out to a 14-0 lead in the opening 10 minutes and stretched it to 26-0 at the break. "It was a great result. I thought after the first half that we might have run away with it, but credit to Utah for coming back.
"It was almost like they got a second wind and, in all fairness, we probably fell off the pace a little bit. But they have to be licking their lips and wondering what they can do to us on their own ground in three weeks time."
Curry, just 19 years old, showed glimpses of his potential, but was kept off the scoresheet. Another local product, forward Daniel Blasco-Morris, made a bigger impact - at least physically.
"He's a tough lad, made for Rugby League," Blackburn said of Blasco-Morris. "It was fitting that he finished off the game with one heck of a hit on one of the Utah players right after the full-time hoot. That certainly got some of the crowd cheering."
As for Curry's effort, Blackburn said: "He's a competitor. You can see by the yards that he makes and the work rate that he has, that the opportunities are going to come his way and he'll get his name on the try sheet."
Meanwhile, Utah's player-coach, George Tupou, was impressed by both, and many other Bulldogs.
"They've got a good team, a lot of talent and some real standout players," Tupou said. "They just beat us overall. The only thing for us to take away from here is the second half, when we played a lot better.
"We just have to turn it up at the beginning of the game rather than fool around and then try to play catch up."
Curry agreed that B.C.'s fast start was the difference.
"We just came out hard, came out swinging, had a little bit of momentum and it just got carried away after that," he said. "I didn't even need to score the tries because the forwards were doing all the hard work and getting through the middle.
"There are still areas to improve, but, all things considered, we are looking at a great season this year."

The article took up "2/3 of a page" and featured a color photo as well.

Sharks Forever

Juniors
Thanks for posting that article.

I haven't heard the full report from the Utah side yet, but I know they were expecting a tough game, so it sounds like a fair outcome.

Also looks like an excellently-organised game and venue, well done to BC.

Utah should have a few more players available for the next game in Salt Lake (though not claiming that will change the result). I know it was tough to get everyone available with the long bus trip, time off work, and even issues like passports etc, so just really glad it all went ahead.

nadera78

Juniors
That's a great report, it's always nice to see how well people react when confronted with RL for the first time.

Interesting that BC have a game line up against Alberta, hopefully this is a sign of even more expansion in Canada over the next couple of years. Any idea if a game against Ontario is in the pipeline?

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
That's a great report, it's always nice to see how well people react when confronted with RL for the first time.

Interesting that BC have a game line up against Alberta, hopefully this is a sign of even more expansion in Canada over the next couple of years. Any idea if a game against Ontario is in the pipeline?[/QUOTE]
A game against Ontario is something that everyone involved with BCRL desperately wants. I think it is going to come down to costs and who will be asorbing them and what percentage. More than anything at this point when it comes to costs it's - who will do the travelling.
Having said that - at one time I was heavily involved in BCRL, but circumstances have changed and I am no longer involved at this time. When I was involved something on everyone's lips was a "Province of Origin" against Ontario. I don't see why those sentiments would have changed other than the fact those in BCRL are more concerned with a solid program in BC, rather than worrying about Ontario.

rugby_darren

Juniors
Spoke to Paul O'keefe, and it was a great game from British Columbia point of view, but return leg in Utah played 8th sept, same day as Canada v usa colonial cup 1st leg, could be a double win for canada rugby on the 8th

Latest posts