What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bundaberg Red Cup 2009

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
A new thread for Jim Beam Cup 2009 which I belive will be the Bundaberg Cup in 2009.
Any updates news on any of the teams for 2009.
At this stage there seems to be only 8 definites from last year (Windsor,Sydney Bulls,Cabramatta , Wenty , Mounties , Southern Sharks , WA Reds and Campbelltown) with a team from Penrith comp a possibility.
Any player signing for any of these clubs ??

Last edited by a moderator:

100yearsRL

Juniors
Cabramatta have acquired the services of two quality players with the recent signing of former Cronulla fringe First Grade halfback Andrew Dallanano and Balmain Tigers forward Jamie Small for the 2009 Jim Beam Cup season.
Both players have agreed to terms and offer the Club plenty of experience, with Dallanano sure to replace the void left by incumbant halfback Luke Branigan who recently signed with English Super League Club Gateshead. Dallanano, who already has 7 first grade games to his name, comes to the Club in good form after being named the Illawarra District A Grade player of the year for his performances at Berkley.

The Blues also look set to lose promising young fullback Sammy Aiga who has been signed by Cronulla as a back-up to Brett Kearney, although Aiga is certain to return to Cabramatta should the new deal not work out. On a more positive note, Jim Beam Cup Forward of the Year and Players Player from 2008 season, Casey Ellis, has resigned with the Club for 2009, along with class forwards Albert Tuara, Ross Brown and Chris Yates.

Source: Cabra Leagues Website

A new thread for Jim Beam Cup 2009 which I belive will be the Bundaberg Cup in 2009.
Any updates news on any of the teams for 2009.
At this stage there seems to be only 8 definites from last year (Windsor,Sydney Bulls,Cabramatta , Wenty , Mounties , Southern Sharks , WA Reds and Campbelltown) with a team from Penrith comp a possibility.
Any player signing for any of these clubs ??
I was under the impression that the Reds are playing in the NSW Cup

Roland

Juniors
I was under the impression that the Reds are playing in the NSW Cup

No. Reds are nowhere near ready for State Cup. They aim to get out of the bottom half of JBC in 2009 and then go into the State Cup in 2010.

A couple of kiwis arrived in Perth recently to play with the Reds next year. Joel Freeman is a hooker who played in the NZ Tertiary team with Wenty's Nathan Cleaver. Freeman played with Brisbane Norths in the Qld Cup this year. The other Savi Hafoka comes from Auckland.

These guys are probably reasonable players but the Reds need to sign some players of the calibre of Small and Dallalana as per Cabramatta.

Roland

Juniors
Erina back, Danny Lawrence has followed his coach Mark Horo, signing with the Shellharbour City Dragons in the State Cup. The Dragons also are seeking to sign a winger from the JBC. I suspect that will be Tim Smith from Erina, one of the leading try scorers in the comp this year.

Roland

Juniors
Young winger Gus Aiga, who made 6 top grade appearances for Mounties this year, is in the Sharks u/20 squad for 2009.

No. Reds are nowhere near ready for State Cup. They aim to get out of the bottom half of JBC in 2009 and then go into the State Cup in 2010.

A couple of kiwis arrived in Perth recently to play with the Reds next year. Joel Freeman is a hooker who played in the NZ Tertiary team with Wenty's Nathan Cleaver. Freeman played with Brisbane Norths in the Qld Cup this year. The other Savi Hafoka comes from Auckland.

These guys are probably reasonable players but the Reds need to sign some players of the calibre of Small and Dallalana as per Cabramatta.

I understand that they had an ordinary year (I saw them play Shellharbour and they were pretty average, and had a rather small team) but I thought I read it somewhere that the Reds got accepted into Reserve Grade for either 2009 or 2010 (the latter I think it was). I may have been wrong though. Perth Red may know the answer.

Roland

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth Red
Reds have turned down an invite for 2009 season in NSW cup but are definately still aiming to move up in 2010.

Previous post on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth Red
Reds have turned down an invite for 2009 season in NSW cup but are definately still aiming to move up in 2010.

Previous post on another thread.

Ahhh, I see. I hope they do take up an offer in 2009, it would allow them to pick up some stronger players (I think). They are making positive steps to returning to 1st Grade.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Definitely Bundy Cup for 2009 , looks like 10 teams (9 from last year and Penrith Brothers the new team) Erina,Shellharbour and Belrose out from last year.
Interesting to see who plays for the new club Penrith Brothers.

Roland

Juniors
If Brothers have the required funding they should be able to recruit heavily but their A Grade side includes some good forwards:

Mick Hawkings (prop) - played for St Marys, Ryde Eastwood and Balmain, Luke Aitchison (hooker) played with Kellyville in Metro
Luke Sloan (prop) - captain and very solid
Matt Nightingale (2nd row) - has repped for Papua New Guinea like his 2 brothers

Darren Baker (half back) - played 1st grade for Panthers, played in winning Windsor JBC team in 2005.

Chris Morson and Dave Cahalane are other useful backs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We were after an ex NRL coach but I heard it has fallen through. We need a couple of hefty props and a good ball player/organiser if we are to move up the table. Last years experience will help and I expect us to be a bit stronger than last year but not by much at this moment in time.

Spitty

Juniors
Brothers have listed Peter Kelly as there "Bundy Rum Shield" Coach for 2009.

Link:
http://www.brotherspjrlc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=307&Itemid=175

I'm not sure of it's the old Panthers front rower.

No mention of where they might play out of.
Their junior teams use Nepean Rugby Park in Cranebrook.
One of the fields there isn't fit for JBC games, the other is used by Penrith Emu's RU and I can't see them re marking that constantly so it can be used by both teams.
I suppose another option is Western Weekender Stadium. Either option is good for me, I'm quite close to both.

Roland

Juniors
Brothers have listed Peter Kelly as there "Bundy Rum Shield" Coach for 2009.

Link:
http://www.brotherspjrlc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=307&Itemid=175

I'm not sure of it's the old Panthers front rower.

No mention of where they might play out of.
Their junior teams use Nepean Rugby Park in Cranebrook.
One of the fields there isn't fit for JBC games, the other is used by Penrith Emu's RU and I can't see them re marking that constantly so it can be used by both teams.
I suppose another option is Western Weekender Stadium. Either option is good for me, I'm quite close to both.

Why would they have to remark the field? RU has the same field except bigger ingoals. I suspect Brothers moved from the school to the Rugby Park with a view to entry in JBC.

Why would they have to remark the field? RU has the same field except bigger ingoals. I suspect Brothers moved from the school to the Rugby Park with a view to entry in JBC.
Union's field markings are the 40m line, the 22m line, and the 5m line. Also, going down the ground there is a 5m line and a 15m line. Union also has a larger in-goal area (up to 22m).

Spitty

Juniors
RL has lines every 10 meters. RU has a 22m line at each end, a halfway line and two 40m lines. There the obvious ones, I'm not sure about the indent from the sideline for RU.

Roland

Juniors
RL has lines every 10 meters. RU has a 22m line at each end, a halfway line and two 40m lines. There the obvious ones, I'm not sure about the indent from the sideline for RU.

OK. I have seen plenty of rugby on Fox but never looked at the lines. I would be sure that Brothers played on the main field so maybe they have the league markings as permanent dotted lines. We will find out when the NSWRL puts out a press release (joke)