What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess Faces Tough Initiation

Adam Lucius
Sportal
11/12/2009

South Sydney great Mario Fenech has warned English import Sam Burgess he will enter the NRL with a massive target on his chest.

The 20-year-old international begins a four-year stint at Redfern in 2010, joining forces with giant ex-Broncos forward Dave Taylor in an imposing-looking pack.

Led by Kiwi international Roy Asotasi, Souths' forward power will be the envy of the NRL.

But the passionate Fenech, who played 181 games for the club, said the Rabbitohs will feel the heat from rival packs itching to test them.

"I know when I played and I heard hype about other players - like all this talk about Sam Burgess - what are players from other clubs thinking?" he told Sportal.

"They're thinking 'hang on, we're going to test this bloke'."

"I'm very excited but I'm a bit old school. We've got the pack that everyone is raving about but at the end of the day you've still got to turn up and play."

"I'm sure John Lang, who is a very experienced coach, will make that happen."

Taylor acknowledges the heat will be on the Rabbitohs forwards from day one but isn't fazed by the pressure.

"There is a lot of expectation on us but we can't let that worry us," he said.

"We're going to be a big pack and a lot of teams will be wanting to take us on."

"If we play to the best of our ability we will be hard to beat."

The Bunnies have made the finals just once since 1989 and are investing heavily in their 2010 campaign.

High-profile owner Russell Crowe has warned nothing short of a finals finish will be tolerated.

"I'm very excited about Souths' chances. It would be great if South Sydney could be up there because it wouldn't hurt the competition," Fenech said.

"As the old saying goes, when Souths are going well, rugby league's going well."

"For us Souths supporters you never know ... we could win a competition in our lifetime."

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/sights-set-on-burgess-82684http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/sights-set-on-burgess-82684

Last edited:

Latest posts