What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burty

varion

Juniors
Looked great.

I'm tempering enthusiasm for the hit as it was John Morris. Thank god Morris is gone - he used to bomb scoring opportunities for us like that all the time but dropping the ball at the last minute or other such brain explosions.

Burt had a great game all round, thing that impresses me is his goalkicking is reliable now. It wasnt long ago that he was a hit and miss kicker (though strangely his career states are excellent near mid 70's if i recall).

I think the shoulder charge was a worry actually. SHowed to me, that Burt thought that Morris would run over the top of him. From my experience, when running at a smaller guy in that situation, if they shoulder charged me, its because they were worried that my weight/momentum was going to knock them over if they tried to tackle me. I think thats what happened here, and Burt was just lucky that Morris was not bigger or able to offload. The only reason they didnt score was he had no support. Burt should have tried to tackle him IMO, not shoulder charge him.

Utey

Coach
Go low and they'll offload, a well directed shoulder charge will usually pay off because the attacking player is looking for support and probably not focusing on the fullback ahead.

It was a smart play.

<UPtheEELS> said:
Go low and they'll offload, a well directed shoulder charge will usually pay off because the attacking player is looking for support and probably not focusing on the fullback ahead.

It was a smart play.

Im not saying go low - im saying go ball and all. He had no support, watch the replay, if he did, they would have scored. Shoulder charge is just a bump, the arms are still free.Ball and all, or at least to the top of the body, reduce the possibility of off loading.

Utey

Coach
NorthShoreEel said:
Im not saying go low - im saying go ball and all. He had no support, watch the replay, if he did, they would have scored. Shoulder charge is just a bump, the arms are still free.Ball and all, or at least to the top of the body, reduce the possibility of off loading.

Definitly agree there, ball and all is the way to go. Burty knows he isn't the strongest bloke and tried to bump him off. It came off well, although you wouldn't want to see him try it every week.

Fathead

Bench
Actually the good work should go to Jarryd Hayne for the tackle.
If you watch the replay Jarryd is to Lukes left and had the tiger who was coming to support Morris covered. You see Hayne tell Burt that he has that player covered and to stay with Morris. Therefore it was easy for Burt to line Morris up and cream him, knowing that Morris wouldnt be passing the ball.
Morris tries to dummy and gets creamed.

If Hayne wasnt there, Morris would have either passed or the very action of having a support player may have played on Burts mind and he may have either fallen for the dummy or been off balance when he hit him.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Shoulder charge was the wrong option, to me it shows burt has no faith in his own defensive abilities. Morris actually bumped off and nearly offloaded but dropped the ball, nothing to do with Burts hit. Poor play by Burt

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hindyscrack said:
Shoulder charge was the wrong option, to me it shows burt has no faith in his own defensive abilities. Morris actually bumped off and nearly offloaded but dropped the ball, nothing to do with Burts hit. Poor play by Burt

Burt's been critisised for many things over the last 8 or so years but this one tops the cake. :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
nothing new there, he reminded me of Wags when he played 5/8 for us

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
Burt's been critisised for many things over the last 8 or so years but this one tops the cake. :lol:
I guess some ppl are never greatful :crazy: :lol: :lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
NorthShoreEel said:

If he had support he would have drawn and passed.

Hindyscrack

Bench
eelavation said:

You've obviously never played footy... it was the wrong thing to do, and burt got lucky

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hindyscrack said:
You've obviously never played footy... it was the wrong thing to do, and burt got lucky

you're right I've never played footy nor do I care, however rightly or wrongly he saved a 4 pointer and did it legealy that's all it matters to me..

Bigfella

Coach
Burt's been critisised for many things over the last 8 or so years but this one tops the cake.

Yep, and Morris too!. the whole reason he didn;t pass was there was no one near by.

It was a great chase by I nHindy and one or two others scrambling, which meant Morris had no support, and what there was was well marked. We had an extra man on the field at that time.

It was one of four or five massive plays by Burt which won us the game.

And if these are mcKinnon fans bagging him - how many times did Wade try that tactic with less success last season?

eels_fan_01

Bench
I have played footy and i agree with what one of the guys said, if you save a try it doesnt matter how you do it. It was a good hit, luck or not.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I have played footy, and Burt brought the man down - all that matters. He could have offloaded, yes, but burt saw Hayne was covering the support so he had license to take Morris down anyway he wanted. He should have gone for the legs in the situation as offloads wasnt a factor, however he chose to shoulder charge him, and it came off so :clap:. If it didnt come off, i know alot of you on here would be calling for his head, i just thought you might refrain from burt-bagging since it worked... however the bias some of you have got is overwhelming