What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

..but league should be merging & cutting teams right?!

The Great Dane

First Grade
We should have had 2 Brisbane teams + Gold Coast since the 90s, also Perth and maybe Adelaide. If all these existed then I think we would be looking at possibly a Sunshine Coast team. This is all hypothetical.
With all due respect, bugger the Sunshine Coast.

By this point we should have been having discussions about second sides in Melbourne, Perth, and Adelaide for years, and potentially be onto our third or fourth in NZ.

Unfortunately the self interest of a few rules this game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate, the decision to give the Dolphins a license has basically made it inevitable that the NRL will need at least 2-3 more clubs in Brisbane over the long term to maintain saturation of the Brisbane market.

Given that there's a limited amount of space in the competition at any one time, and that the same could have been achieved with 2 teams, that's a terrible outcome as it's going to heavily restrict the potential growth and flexibility of the competition over next 50+ years.

Imagine if an American league had invested in a team in every borough of New York at the expense of teams in some of the other large metro markets like e.g. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Miami... Whether they realise it or not, and I highly doubt they do BTW, that's the equivalent of what the NRL has decided to do.
yeh I was trying to be positive and hope that 'THE' Dolphins will see the error of their ways and move to Suncorp FT and become the Brisbane Dolphins! Firehawks made far more sense (though Id have preferred the South Brisbane somethings as a brand) but News Ltd got their way once again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With all due respect, bugger the Sunshine Coast.

By this point we should have been having discussions about second sides in Melbourne, Perth, and Adelaide for years, and potentially be onto our third or fourth in NZ.

Unfortunately the self interest of a few rules this game.
I think its lack of real vision and confidence in the product more than self interest tbh. In the hundred years we've really only had one period of strong leadership that had the balls to see we could be more than what we are. Sadly News Ltd got in the way of that vision and that group of leaders.
The fact NRL is the only professional sports league not to have a team in Perth tells you an awful lot about the psychology and culture of our sport and its leadership.

Pippen94

First Grade
Mate, the decision to give the Dolphins a license has basically made it inevitable that the NRL will need at least 2-3 more clubs in Brisbane over the long term to maintain saturation of the Brisbane market.

Given that there's a limited amount of space in the competition at any one time, and that the same could have been achieved with 2 teams, that's a terrible outcome as it's going to heavily restrict the potential growth and flexibility of the competition over next 50+ years.

Imagine if an American league had invested in a team in every borough of New York at the expense of teams in some of the other large metro markets like e.g. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Miami... Whether they realise it or not, and I highly doubt they do BTW, that's the equivalent of what the NRL has decided to do.

Hate to break it to you but in last decade Nets moved to New York & labelled themselves not New York but Brooklyn..
Jets & Giants existed in separate leagues. Would've been together in NFL before expansion to some large metro markets.
In NHL Newark devils were added to NYC metro area which included islanders & rangers already.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hate to break it to you but in last decade Nets moved to New York & labelled themselves not New York but Brooklyn..
Jets & Giants existed in separate leagues. Would've been together in NFL before expansion to some large metro markets.
In NHL Newark devils were added to NYC metro area which included islanders & rangers already.
Hate to break it to you, but again you've proved that you're f**king clueless.

What you've just shown yourself is that each of those leagues has two teams representing NY. No more no less, and certainly not one for each of the five boroughs. Which, BTW, is exactly why I used them, along with the Yankees and Mets, to illustrate my point.

BTW, I refuse to be drawn into a pointless tangent about the Tri-State area, so I'll just say this; Newark is in NJ, as such it isn't in one of the five Burroughs of NY.

Pippen94

First Grade
Hate to break it to you, but again you've proved that you're f**king clueless.

What you've just shown yourself is that each of those leagues has two teams representing NY. No more no less, and certainly not one for each of the five boroughs. Which, BTW, is exactly why I used them, along with the Yankees and Mets, to illustrate my point.

BTW, I refuse to be drawn into a pointless tangent about the Tri-State area, so I'll just say this; Newark is in NJ, as such it isn't in one of the five Burroughs of NY.

New Jersey is about same distance to Manhattan as Brooklyn is. Stretching things because ur wrong.

Funny, nets just focusing on part of NYC like dolphins doing in Brisbane, then use using US sports to say it's NRL got it wrong..but then not first time yur wrong

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think its lack of real vision and confidence in the product more than self interest tbh. In the hundred years we've really only had one period of strong leadership that had the balls to see we could be more than what we are. Sadly News Ltd got in the way of that vision and that group of leaders.
The fact NRL is the only professional sports league not to have a team in Perth tells you an awful lot about the psychology and culture of our sport and its leadership.
Nah, it's almost wholly self interest.

There're are certain powerful entities in this sport whom only agree to expansion under the proviso that new clubs won't rock the boat or challenge the status quo.

It's also a fantasy to believe that Arko and Quayle could lead us into a new dawn of growth and professionalism. Almost all of their expansion clubs were set up to fail, and any time any were successful and tried to take their seat at the table (see Broncos and Raiders) they allowed the establishment in Sydney to try and undermine them.

The expansion clubs under their watch were meant to be seen and not heard, and most of them would have stumbled from one bankruptcy to the next until they folded. The Expansion clubs knew it as well, which is why all of them (with the possible exceptions of the Steelers, and Chargers whom were being run by the ARL) tried to join SL at one time or another.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
The expansion clubs under their watch were meant to be seen and not heard, and most of them would have stumbled from one bankruptcy to the next until they folded. The Expansion clubs new it as well, which is why all of them (with the possible exceptions of the Steelers, and Chargers whom were being run by the ARLC) tried to join SL at one time or another.
This in a nutshell is why Superleague got so much traction outside NSW.

The majority of the NSW rugby league community, to this day...
Just
Doesn't
Get
It.

The Great Dane

First Grade
New Jersey is about same distance to Manhattan as Brooklyn is. Stretching things because ur wrong.

Funny, nets just focusing on part of NYC like dolphins doing in Brisbane, then use using US sports to say it's NRL got it wrong..but then not first time yur wrong
I'm the one that's stretching!

The distance between the two is irrelevant, NY and NJ are two different states with their own cultures and identities that are even more distinct from each other than e.g. NSW and Qld. You'd literally be the only person on the planet that considers the Devils a NYC team, of course you don't actually believe that you're just disingenuously trying to win an argument.

The Nets are only called Brooklyn because the Barclays Center is in Brooklyn and the name stands out in the crowd when every other major team in the city is called New York. It's actually a good marketing strategy considering the circumstances in their market.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm the one that's stretching!

The distance between the two is irrelevant, NY and NJ are two different states with their own cultures and identities that are even more distinct from each other than e.g. NSW and Qld. You'd literally be the only person on the planet that considers the Devils a NYC team, of course you don't actually believe that you're just disingenuously trying to win an argument.

The Nets are only called Brooklyn because the Barclays Center is in Brooklyn and the name stands out in the crowd when every other major team in the city is called New York. It's actually a good marketing strategy considering the circumstances in their market.

Just me & the NY times..& everybody with a brain..

Brooklyn approach similar to Dolphins. Just admit ur wrong again

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just me & the NY times..& everybody with a brain..

Brooklyn approach similar to Dolphins. Just admit ur wrong again
Nothing in that article suggests that they consider Newark to be part of New York City... And you won't find a single American that does.

I've never contested Newark being part of the New York Tri-State area, but that's about as meaningful to the average punter living in the region as it is to the average Sydneysider that an increasing number of government agencies consider parts of the Central Coast and Illawarra to be part of the Sydney metro area.

So again, you're just being disingenuous. I mean you're not even trying to address the actual argements being made at all now.

Pippen94

First Grade
Nothing in that article suggests that they consider Newark to be part of New York City... And you won't find a single American that does.

I've never contested Newark being part of the Tri-State area (New York metropolitan area for those that don't know), but that's about as meaningful to the average punter living in the region as it is to the average Sydneysider that an increasing number of government agencies consider parts of the Central Coast and Illawarra to be part of the Sydney metro area.

So again, you're just being disingenuous. I mean you're not even trying to address the actual argements being made at all now.

Hahaha. Article says 3 teams in New York metropolitan area. Don't backtrack. No different from considering parra or Penrith as Sydney teams - which they are. Heck, islanders just on other side of queens too. Jets & Giants play out of east Rutherford, jersey. They NY teams haha haha?!

Wb1234

Referee
The ideals were right, but it was smoke & mirrors by a media tycoon who just wanted the rights.

But the vision (as pitched) was progressive.
Lmao rugby league played in China whilst they killed off clubs in Sydney and helped afl move in

genius thinking

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hahaha. Article says 3 teams in New York metropolitan area. Don't backtrack. No different from considering parra or Penrith as Sydney teams - which they are. Heck, islanders just on other side of queens too. Jets & Giants play out of east Rutherford, jersey. They NY teams haha haha?!
I haven't backtracked at all, you're just full of shit lol.

Not once have I contested Newark being in the New York metro area. The NY metro area wasn't mentioned at all until you brought it up in fact. I was talking exclusively about the city of NY, which was made pretty obvious when I started talking about the five boroughs...

You haven't even addressed my actual argument in any substantive way in fact. This has all just been a big red herring.

BTW, the Jets, Giants, and Red Bulls for that matter, only play out of NJ because there isn't room for stadiums suitable for their needs in NYC.

Pippen94

First Grade
I haven't backtracked at all, you're just full of shit lol.

Not once have I contested Newark being in the New York metro area. The NY metro area wasn't mentioned at all until you brought it up in fact. I was talking exclusively about the city of NY, which was made pretty obvious when I started talking about the five boroughs...

You haven't even addressed my actual argument in any substantive way in fact. This has all just been a big red herring.

BTW, the Jets, Giants, and Red Bulls for that matter, only play out of NJ because there isn't room for stadiums suitable for their needs in NYC.

You backtrack after I linked NY times article saying they all part of same market. Then you said you were talking about something else. 20 million figure you always see for NY metro population is Newark - NYC - white plains number. Tri state is bigger & include pa & ct.

You backtrack after I linked NY times article saying they all part of same market. Then you said you were talking about something else. 20 million figure you always see for NY metro population is Newark - NYC - white plains number. Tri state is bigger & include pa & ct.
That's like saying the Titans are part of the Brisbane market because Gold Coast borders Logan, which is part of the Brisbane metropolitan area.

Latest posts