What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

..but league should be merging & cutting teams right?!

The Great Dane

First Grade
You backtrack after I linked NY times article saying they all part of same market. Then you said you were talking about something else. 20 million figure you always see for NY metro population is Newark - NYC - white plains number. Tri state is bigger & include pa & ct.
Show don't tell.

Seriously show my original claim then show where you think I contradicted it. If you can do it without misrepresenting me I'll retract. Of course you can't do that because your whole argument is just a disingenuous semantics game where you're trying to conflate a metropolitan area with the limits of each city within said metropolis, and anybody that takes the time to google Newark will instantly see that you're full of shit.

BTW, the Tri-State area is just another name for the NY metropolitan area. They aren't two sperate things, NYC and the other cities in the area have just grown so big that they've all linked together into a single conurbation. It's the largest metropolitan area in the world. However none of that means that the individual cities have ceased existing as independent entities just because they've grown to meet each other and form one contiguous urban area.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Actually it's another one of those ones where government agencies are increasing treating most of SEQ as a single metropolis. They've basically accepted that everything from Noosa down to the NSW border will be a single urban area within a generation, and as such have stated treating it as if it already is for purposes of planning.

Considering that the most northern suburbs of the GC are only, what, 10 or so minutes from Logan, they basically already are a metro area in everything but name.

Pippen94

First Grade
Show don't tell.

Seriously show my original claim then show where you think I contradicted it. If you can do it without misrepresenting me I'll retract. Of course you can't do that because your whole argument is just a disingenuous semantics game where you're trying to conflate a metropolitan area with the limits of each city within said metropolis, and anybody that takes the time to google Newark will instantly see that you're full of shit.

BTW, the Tri-State area is just another name for the NY metropolitan area. They aren't two sperate things, NYC and the other cities in the area have just grown so big that they've all linked together into a single conurbation. It's the largest metropolitan area in the world. However none of that means that the individual cities have ceased existing as independent entities just because they've grown to meet each other and form one contiguous urban area.

Show don't tell.

There's metro statistic area which is continuous sprawl & then combined area which is incorporates part of ct & pa.
Anybody looking at map will see new York teams giant, jets, red bulls all playing on that side of river like devils..

Pippen94

First Grade
Actually it's another one of those ones where government agencies are increasing treating most of SEQ as a single metropolis. They've basically accepted that everything from Noosa down to the NSW border will be a single urban area within a generation, and as such have stated treating it as if it already is for purposes of planning.

Considering that the most northern suburbs of the GC are only, what, 10 or so minutes from Logan, they basically already are a metro area in everything but name.

There's separation between Goldie & Brisbane, just like Sydney & Wollongong etc.
Tweed & Goldie tho the same. Just like Canberra & Quenbeyan. Just like jersey city etc & NYC. Talk ur way out of those examples which incorporate different states & territories

Iamback

Coach
There's metro statistic area which is continuous sprawl & then combined area which is incorporates part of ct & pa.
Anybody looking at map will see new York teams giant, jets, red bulls all playing on that side of river like devils..

New york Jets and Giants play 7miles from Newark

MugaB

Coach
well not necessarily. AFL just had three serious bidders for their rights. The days of Fox being the only option are coming to an end.
Also they dont get dictated to by TV half as much as us despite getting more money. I suspect the problem lies with us, not with the tv companies!
I don't think we can brake free from that media dictatorship, until this sport becomes expanded moreso... 20 teams all around aus/pacific, 10 matches a week, in all major cities/states in aus... once that becomes a reality, RL will dictate to the media and which one they'll accept.. hell they could even drop the rounds down to 20 a year... NFL has half the amount. ....till then 9&Fox are bankrolling and newsltd says jump.. either way bills are getting paid.. and the comp is the comp.. till proper clubs from lower grades raise their hands to commit to be licensed under the NRLs thumb... have to get real folks, there will never be a culling/merger ever again... and areas that aren't playing the sport at elite levels aren't getting looked at period...

Colk

First Grade
I don't think we can brake free from that media dictatorship, until this sport becomes expanded moreso... 20 teams all around aus/pacific, 10 matches a week, in all major cities/states in aus... once that becomes a reality, RL will dictate to the media and which one they'll accept.. hell they could even drop the rounds down to 20 a year... NFL has half the amount. ....till then 9&Fox are bankrolling and newsltd says jump.. either way bills are getting paid.. and the comp is the comp.. till proper clubs from lower grades raise their hands to commit to be licensed under the NRLs thumb... have to get real folks, there will never be a culling/merger ever again... and areas that aren't playing the sport at elite levels aren't getting looked at period...

Yes and no though. Just because it is with Fox and Nine now doesn’t mean that it is a fait accompli. Put yourself out to tender

MugaB

Coach
Yes and no though. Just because it is with Fox and Nine now doesn’t mean that it is a fait accompli. Put yourself out to tender
Grow up, these two chnnels feed off the league, channel seven and ten wouldn't even know what to do with league, and stan is rudderless... what they got... bali 2001?

Wb1234

Referee
Grow up, these two chnnels feed off the league, channel seven and ten wouldn't even know what to do with league, and stan is rudderless... what they got... bali 2001?
Tbf both ten and seven did well with the league when they had it

seven as recently as one of the recent world cups (last one ?)

stan have the union and bid for the afl

leagues best bet for a big payday is Stan bidding for all the game and foxtel having to pay up to keep their number one sport

that should see us match or surpass the 500 million pa they get from their tv deals

Colk

First Grade

Huh? That post makes no sense

Did you not just see what fumbleball did? Do you understand anything about power dynamics?

Take League off Fox and they are absolutely screwed and it is about time the game grew some cojones and realised it. The game rates better than fumbleball on Pay TV yet they have milked more money than us because they stand up to be counted

Also, I’m sorry but conflating quality sports broadcasting with Australia is absolute nonsense. We don’t produce quality sports broadcasters or commentators as a general rule and Nine have been absolutely appalling for more than a decade. Essentially none of the other broadcasters would be any worse. They might be just as bad, but not worse

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Did you not just see what fumbleball did? Do you understand anything about power dynamics?
Yeah, but i don't care, im not the type to look over the fence and ponder at another businesses broadcast rights... the league should have been kaput the way it was inflated and run, before the arlc took over before/during covid... yet we all seem fit to be judge and jury, come out 1st off the block and break records to be the more relevant sporting code. The NRL will top that deal in a few years, then AFL will again pull our pants down, its almost like theyve setup a Kabal gill and peter sitting in a russian bathhouse smoking cigars, laughing at union and aleague plotting at maneuvering broadcasters with content... they seem too chummy those two... makes sence since petes always digs on gill here and there.. thats the sort of stuff politians do to make it look like its an us vs them, but really it both us using you

The AFL and NRL are very similar in setup, yes afl have done better, they are based/setup in Melbourne of 5 mil pop, NRL in Sydney of 5 mil pop, Afl in WA/SA, Nrl in QLD/NZ then both have teams sprinkled around elsewhere, they basically don't step on each others toes too much... its like gang turf wars, as much as each other want to be the dominant code... they both have a similar spread in that regard

Last edited:

Latest posts