What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye bye Spagnolo...

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The Game needs Parra to be a successful team so i hope this helps you guys lift yourselves out of the rut you've been in..

Parra Stadium is great when it's full..

Joely01

Bench
Hopefully never see you again Roy, hopefully you finally get the message that you are not welcome around our club ever again.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'll go counter to the popular opinion: THIS IS STUPID.

Why?

Because it just shows that the other side of the 'petty infighting group' are doing stupid things now. If Spags is 'wanted' by the constituents to run the club, then let him run it. I highly doubt anyone wants him to run it, so just let him fade away into obscurity.
By 'banning' him they're just lighting a fire under his supporters, giving them 'reason' to act, and making a rod for their own back. What happens in 2 years when this miniscule ban is over? Surely we're all seeing that Spags will be looking to come back - and if he gets back in, the 'tit for tat' rubbish will continue.

Best thing that can be done is to ignore the goons once they're gone --> don't keep making circular paths for them to come back and flex their muscles again.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll go counter to the popular opinion: THIS IS STUPID.

Why?

Because it just shows that the other side of the 'petty infighting group' are doing stupid things now. If Spags is 'wanted' by the constituents to run the club, then let him run it. I highly doubt anyone wants him to run it, so just let him fade away into obscurity.
By 'banning' him they're just lighting a fire under his supporters, giving them 'reason' to act, and making a rod for their own back. What happens in 2 years when this miniscule ban is over? Surely we're all seeing that Spags will be looking to come back - and if he gets back in, the 'tit for tat' rubbish will continue.

Best thing that can be done is to ignore the goons once they're gone --> don't keep making circular paths for them to come back and flex their muscles again.

He'll be like that liquid bloke in the Terminator...

Gronk

Staff member
Spags went after previous merkins and even attempted to revoke life memberships etc.

The lesson here is that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Karma's a bitch Roy.

Now I think we've had 4 years of witchhunts that has done us no good. Can we please:-

1. Keep our hands out of the cookie jar (that's no matter what camp you're on)
2. Ensure that the club is your priority and not your pocket or your mates, and
3. Do what ever you can to keep your nose clean and out of the papers.

Avenger

Immortal
Ummmm....not quite.

This will come down to whether the board have sufficient evidence to prohibit a member from standing for election as a director (this is different from sacking an incompetent employee). An internal audit may well raise several questions regarding operations, which may include issues of efficiency, mismanagement, gross negligence and extending to potential fraud issues. Now, to stop someone from standing for election (as opposed to firing an employee for not doing their job well) you are going to need evidence towards the nastier end of that scale. And if you have that, the issue should not stop at a 2 year ban from standing for election. I'd be stunned if there's not a legal challenge to the directive (unless further other action by the Board is forthcoming).

While criminal prosecutions are based on the 'beyond a reasonable doubt' idea, criminal charges are not (and no suggestion of criminality has been made in this case).

Gary, if an audit is irregular it is always judged initially at a civil standard. A civil prosecution can at times provide more teeth in terms of penalty than a criminal prosecution especially if banning notices are conducted by a regulatory body such as ASIC. I only mentioned a criminal standard in relation to prosecutions because Jake asked why it isn't being referred to police. I never inferred that there were criminal allegations.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Gary, if an audit is irregular it is always judged initially at a civil standard. A civil prosecution can at times provide more teeth in terms of penalty than a criminal prosecution especially if banning notices are conducted by a regulatory body such as ASIC. I only mentioned a criminal standard in relation to prosecutions because Jake asked why it isn't being referred to police. I never inferred that there were criminal allegations.

How do you know all this mate?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Or maybe he might care for the club and f**k off silently ?

Yeah probably not. :roll:
Yep, he is no different to the merkin he replaced.

But why only the two years??? If he has been doing dodgy shit shouldn't he get life???

Gary is my brother (as is Larry). I realise that you didn't infer anything about criminal allegations (I was just making it clear that I too was not suggesting anything of the sort). My point is that you need pretty solid evidence of something greater than mismanagement/incompetence if you wish to ban someone from running for office. Interesting (in a bad sense) to see how this plays out....but I would be surprised if this is over.

Avenger

Immortal
Gary is my brother (as is Larry). I realise that you didn't infer anything about criminal allegations (I was just making it clear that I too was not suggesting anything of the sort). My point is that you need pretty solid evidence of something greater than mismanagement/incompetence if you wish to ban someone from running for office. Interesting (in a bad sense) to see how this plays out....but I would be surprised if this is over.

I agree. It's all about admissible evidence and the burden of proof is with the prosecution.

born an eel

Bench
I wonder if he is getting the ban as his position as Chairman of the board and his fellow board members should also be looked at or was it from his individual dealings?

As Chairman he should only be implementing the wishes of the board and is not the CEO signing off on the day to day running of the club.

Freak2

Juniors
Found it interesting that this made Herald back page but nothing in the Tele-Crap.

I guess we all know who is feeding whom don't we......

I'd suggest 2 years is as good as a life ban, given there will be a change in the Junior's board during this time.

Roy was attempting to get back on the LC board as chairman through the constitution requirement of 3 board members must be on each board.

Early discussions with Roy's 3P people (before being board members suggested that this was something they intended on changing once winning balance of power. Ironic that they didnt follow through with this and now attempted to use it as their last resort to gain balance of power back again.

It is quite intriguing the battle for power but very unproductive!

I was always told to count my fingers after I shook hands with Roy. I am most assured this is not the end of the fiasco, but I can hope it is only played out in the press and in the Civil courts and not anywhere near O'Connell street.

Lets just hope we can move onwards and upwards from here on in, Having said that, when do memberships go on sale.