What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Bazal

Post Whore
To be fair, me too.

Fox must’ve read the riot act to the commentators.

Probably a lot easier when you don't have as many deadshit merkins around you too. Heals is one that went from quite good while Richie was still regularly around, to absolutely abysmal very quickly

ek999

First Grade
Warne will be the real test. If he sticks to being an analyst and not being a dickhead we could actually have a very good commentary team.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Warne will be the real test. If he sticks to being an analyst and not being a dickhead we could actually have a very good commentary team.

Agree, he could be a surprise , hope so.

Maybe being away from clowns like Slater, and buddies like Chappelli and Clarke he might pull his head in

Bazal

Post Whore
Fox team for the PMs XI has been very good.

Brett Lee in particular is a hugely improved commentator. Very insightful talk just now about bowling fitness and training, too.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Fox team for the PMs XI has been very good.

Brett Lee in particular is a hugely improved commentator. Very insightful talk just now about bowling fitness and training, too.

Lol Seven and CA will be presiding over a revenue disaster.

Well done!

A shame for Seven though that they had to inherit an Australian team hich had to be gutted of its talent.

Timbo

Staff member
Good read in the Guardian today about the failings of the regulatory body:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...r-tv-but-the-regulator-doesnt-seem-interested

Of particular interest are the last three paragraphs:

As it seemed to me (and to many others) that the new agreement broke the anti-siphoning laws I asked the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) to make a ruling. After some weeks, it emailed me that the ACMA has “concluded that it would not be in the public interest to proceed with an investigation of your complaint”.

It is my understanding that ACMA has every right to do this. In the past it had to proceed unless a complaint was deemed vexatious or trivial. Now it has the discretion not to. It does not have to give reasons and there is no avenue of appeal against its decision.

Nevertheless we live in a very strange world when a regulator decides that it is not in the public interest to adjudicate whether or not a law has been broken.

Bit of a worry.

Timbo

Staff member
There has been something that felt not quite right about these three games.

I was in my old cricket clubs WhatsApp group and only three of us were watching because of the paywall. Last year eight or nine guys would have been discussing it. A few blokes didn’t even realise it was on - which seems to be a very common theme I’ve noticed on social media.

TheParraboy

Staff member
There has been something that felt not quite right about these three games.

I was in my old cricket clubs WhatsApp group and only three of us were watching because of the paywall. Last year eight or nine guys would have been discussing it. A few blokes didn’t even realise it was on - which seems to be a very common theme I’ve noticed on social media.

Yep

Noticed that to, plenty.

Easy for that to happen, no free to air promoting the game, cause , well, they don’t have a game to promote

If someone had the free to air rights like ch9 did, the series would have been promoted a week before game 1, and then days leading into each game. The average cricket fan would have known about it.

Dismiss the argument that it was puplic knowledge in April that everyone should know about it

Timbo

Staff member
It seems CA didn’t promote it at all. The only promo I’ve seen is for Fox Cricket - not the series itself.

I heard a little of Warne yesterday while he was commentating with Isa Guha and Skull. He seemed reasonably level headed. No talk of favourite pizzas and AFL thank f**k.

jargan83

Coach
Yep

Noticed that to, plenty.

Easy for that to happen, no free to air promoting the game, cause , well, they don’t have a game to promote

If someone had the free to air rights like ch9 did, the series would have been promoted a week before game 1, and then days leading into each game. The average cricket fan would have known about it.

Dismiss the argument that it was puplic knowledge in April that everyone should know about it

I'll bet you that if anything CA were hoping everyone would forget about the TV deal's lack of FTA ODI coverage after announcing it in April.

Das Gupta

Juniors
I heard a little of Warne yesterday while he was commentating with Isa Guha and Skull. He seemed reasonably level headed. No talk of favourite pizzas and AFL thank f**k.

Wait till the test matches start he will have more time to talk about himself.

Eelectrica

Referee
Probably wasn't heavily advertised, but I managed to watch what I could of the games on cricket.com and cast it the stream to the TV from there. Was pretty good for the most part.
Not something that too many people would think, or even know they could do though.

Certainly not as convenient as just pressing a button to watch on FTA.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Certainly not as convenient as just pressing a button to watch on FTA.

Agreed though the world is being driven by those who want to throw everything on the internet, have apps on their 100000 devices and argue that FTA is going the way of the dodo. What they don’t realise, and will argue profusely with you, is that putting content on the internet is also putting it behind a pay wall.

Eelectrica

Referee
Agreed though the world is being driven by those who want to throw everything on the internet, have apps on their 100000 devices and argue that FTA is going the way of the dodo. What they don’t realise, and will argue profusely with you, is that putting content on the internet is also putting it behind a pay wall.

Well all I'm saying in this instance it was able to be watched without a foxtel subscription, so I was able to watch the games free. Not factoring in the cost of internet because I'd have that regardless.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Not factoring in the cost of internet because I'd have that regardless.

What about the person who is happy with their 10-20GB mobile plan for internet?

They would have to spend more money to up their allowance or invest in fixed line broadband just to watch cricket via the internet..

Eelectrica

Referee
What about the person who is happy with their 10-20GB mobile plan for internet?

They would have to spend more money to up their allowance or invest in fixed line broadband just to watch cricket via the internet..
So it would've been better if it wasn't even available via the web then? I'll take what I can get. I've already said I would've preferred it to be available via FTA, but it sounds like CH7 dodged a bullet with the ratings.

By watching it via the web at least I've shown there's some interest their. What Ch7 do with that info I can't say.

Timbo

Staff member
I felt Warne was back to his agenda driven worst last night, and it’s been coming in spurts all series.

Latest posts