What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith calls for Salary cap exemption for 300 gamers

Should the NRL have salary cap exemptions?

• Yes

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters

c0c0nutz

Juniors
NRL should bring in cap relief for one-club 300-gamers: Smith
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Fri 8 Mar 2019, 05:01 PM

Cameron Smith has floated the introduction of salary cap exemption for "one-club, 300-gamers" to encourage loyalty in an increasingly ruthless NRL market.

Smith is one of just 15 men in the game's history to crack 300 appearances in the same club colours, and wants to see greater allowances made for some of the game's longest and most loyal servants.

Current NRL rules provide for a $200,000 veteran and developed players allowance per club, which breaks down to just 2.2% of each club's $9.1 million salary cap.

Smith has first-hand experience of the wrangles clubs can face with veteran stalwarts, having negotiated a two-year extension with the Storm over several months last year.

Salary cap pressure at the club has resulted in Sam Kasiano joining Super League's Catalans, but Smith's proposal to reward clubs that develop and retain a 300-gamer with a salary cap exemption could ease such complications.

"To see one club players, to see 300-gamers, It's great for our fans," Smith said.

"It's great for our clubs, it's great for the game. Why not reward those organisations that can achieve that with certain players?"

Asked what amount of exemption he would like to see, the former Australian and Queensland captain suggested a portion of a players' salary starting at a base of 50%.

"It would have to be a percentage wouldn't it? Is it 50%, is it 75%?" Smith said.

"I'm not sure, even if you develop a player and you play 300 matches for the one club, is he exempt from your cap?

"I don't think that's unreasonable given I see that, particularly at a time like now, I see that as a positive story for our game.:
Such an exemption would give a sizeable, six-figure cap advantage to any team boasting a one-club triple centurion.

If Smith's own estimated $1 million pay packet was halved the Storm would have an extra $500,000 to spend, not to mention the unprecedented scenario in which he, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk were at the one club with a triple century under their respective belts.

But to balance that scenario, none of the five players in touching distance of the 300-game mark this year – Darius Boyd (292 appearances), Adam Blair, Benji Marshall (both 289), Gavin Cooper (284) and Robbie Farah (282) – would be eligible under Smith's proposal as they have all played for more than one NRL outfit.

Of the game's recent 300-gamers, Smith, Slater, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Simon Mannering and John Sutton reached the tally playing for one club.

The Rabbitohs and Sutton also navigated uncertainty around his 2019 contract last year as the club balanced an improving roster with retaining a club icon.

For Smith, that is the crux of his proposal, with Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence tossed up as the type of player any loyalty relief should target.

The 30-year-old has racked up 227 games since graduating to first grade as a Campbelltown junior, weathering all manner of controversies at the club along the way.

A severe facial fracture suffered during last week's trial loss to the Warriors threatens to sideline him for up to four months in a year when he is off contract, raising the possibility of the Tigers' favourite son being forced elsewhere.

"Chris Lawrence - perfect example," Smith said.

"[The prospect of him being squeezed out of the Tigers] that's sad I think. Whether he's forced out of the club and has to play somewhere else or you send the bloke overseas, out of our game entirely.

"We should be trying to retain our players in the game and for guys that have played so many seasons for the one club, let's try and help that guy achieve his goal of being a one-club player."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/08/cameron-smith-wants-cap-relief-for-nrl-one-club-300-gamers/

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Pure greed from Cameron Smith. This is a man who has already been paid outside of the cap during his career (yet he wants those stripped premierships back). This is a man who pretended he was retiring to make money out of a testimonial game. This is a man who has complained several times during his career about marquee players deserving more money.

First Grade
Pure greed from Cameron Smith. This is a man who has already been paid outside of the cap during his career (yet he wants those stripped premierships back). This is a man who pretended he was retiring to make money out of a testimonial game. This is a man who has complained several times during his career about marquee players deserving more money.
At the time of the salary cap rort before it was all announced, this is also the guy who was demanding the minimum wage for players be raised like he really cared, whilst displaying this faux compassion, he was collecting illegal cap rorting money. Pure scum.

Pommy

Coach
It’s funny but I genuinely hate Cam Smith more than any player who has been caught up in any off field bull shit this off season.
He is genuinely less likeable than potential rapists and women bashers. Quite an achievement.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
At the time of the salary cap rort before it was all announced, this is also the guy who was demanding the minimum wage for players be raised like he really cared, whilst displaying this faux compassion, he was collecting illegal cap rorting money. Pure scum.

He didn't care about the minimum wage as you say. Because he couldn't wait to demand more of the increased cap for himself.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
What sums up Smith more than anything is his passive aggressiveness to Cooper Cronk for leaving the Storm.

He could easily have chosen to enjoy the good memories they shared, but instead is having a massive sulk.

It kind of makes the grand final result more pleasing.

Somehow or someway, Smith probably feels like the victim in all of this too.

Timbo

Staff member
I’m really enjoying all of his recent ‘calls’.

I’m looking forward to the week ahead:

‘Cameron Smith calls for one city clubs (in Victoria) to have double the salary cap’

‘Cameron Smith call for the Storm to start the season with ten bonus points to help combat AFL’

‘Cameron Smith calls for ex-Queensland captains to be able to murder people as they please’

Where will the good ideas stop!

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I’m really enjoying all of his recent ‘calls’.

I’m looking forward to the week ahead:

‘Cameron Smith calls for one city clubs (in Victoria) to have double the salary cap’

‘Cameron Smith call for the Storm to start the season with ten bonus points to help combat AFL’

‘Cameron Smith calls for ex-Queensland captains to be able to murder people as they please’

Where will the good ideas stop!

Cameron Smith demands the Kangaroos sing Yi Yi Yippee Yippee Yi when they win, and demands fans apologise to him for their attacks last time he led the team song.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The hate for Smith, do not share it, what a player.

Redefined his position, role model off the field.

You all have issues.

Last Week

Bench
The guy must wake up and go "how can I be more of a merkin today." Well done.

I agree with him though. Except there is already a long serving players allowance.

Latest posts