What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campbell-Gillard Out

tripster

Juniors
Panthers coach Anthony Griffin will demand the NRL match review committee look closely into an incident that has left Penrith front-rower Reagan Campbell-Gillard in hospital with a suspected cracked disc in his back.

Campbell-Gillard was left in agony when a third man into a tackle – believed to be Titans prop Ryan James according to Panthers officials – hit Campbell-Gillard in the back as he stood in a tackle.

As he clutched at his back and doubled over in pain, Campbell-Gillard was then forced to pack into a scrum as the shot clock wound down because of the rule that forbids substitutions being made as a scrum is being formed before he was replaced in the 61st minute.

Campbell-Gillard was taken by ambulance to nearby Robina Hospital shortly after full-time, leaving Griffin with a bitter after-taste following his side's 15-14 win on the Gold Coast that wrapped up a finals berth.

"I'm not one to whinge but I've got a player there with a broken disc in his back by the looks and he didn't get an opportunity to defend himself," Griffin told NRL.com.

"It was sort of like a cannonball tackle or whatever you call it.

"He obviously got a heavy tackle in the back there. I'd have to have a look at the tape but I hope the NRL have a close look at it.

"He's in a bad way. It looks like he has a cracked disc in his back and he's gone out in an ambulance. He's taken a real heavy knock there.

"Hopefully for his sake it's not as bad as what they think."

Watching their teammate taken away by ambulance cast something of a pall over the Panthers playing group who had only moments earlier been jubilant following Matt Moylan's match-winning field goal.

It is unclear whether Campbell-Gillard will be able to fly back to Sydney with the rest of the squad early Sunday afternoon and lock Trent Merrin said all the Panthers players were hoping for the best news possible.

http://www.nrl.com/campbell-gillard...n-back/tabid/10874/newsid/100711/default.aspx

I guess that means Leota will come onto the bench? I guess he is the only other option at this point. Probably too late in the season to blood anyone new such as Kikau.

maple_69

Bench
First game i haven't been able to watch this season so i can't really comment about the tackle. From the stats it seems we are using our bench pretty scarcely. Our starting side demands minutes. Given that I'd say go with the experienced Latimore for the 25 minutes he'd get. I like Griffins style though. He's not a whinger bit hell respectfully stand up for our players and team.

GongPanther

Referee
Penrith Panthers Reagan Campbell-Gillard hospitalised with suspected back fracture

Penrith coach Anthony Griffin was in no mood to celebrate after the Panthers cemented a NRL finals berth, with key forward Reagan Campbell-Gillard taken to hospital with a suspected back fracture.

A furious Griffin has urged the NRL to review Gold Coast prop Ryan James' 59th-minute tackle on the front rower in Saturday night's game at Cbus Super Stadium. It was not penalised at the time.

News Corp Australia is reporting it was contacted late on Saturday night by Griffin who expressed his disappointment.

"They've stood Reg (Campbell-Gillard) up and then Ryan James hits him in the ribs while he's unprotected," Griffin said.

"He's gone to hospital and they think he's got a broken disc in his back.

"I'd really like the NRL to review it. I'm not happy with how Reg has ended up injured.

"I watched it at the time and thought it was a bit crook, so they need to look at it.

"He can't move. They had to stretcher him out of the sheds," Griffin told News Corp.

The Penrith prop was held by Chris McQueen and Nathan Friend when James came in as the third man and made contact using his right shoulder.

James, only two weeks ago, avoided suspension for breaking the jaw of Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco.

On the match itself, Griffin was also unhappy about Penrith's "dumb" first-half performance which allowed Gold Coast back into the contest.

The game seemed to be heading into golden point after Tyrone Roberts kicked a penalty goal four minutes from time following a high tackle by Penrith's Chris Grevsmuhl - ironically on James.

"It was terrible the way we let them back into the game," Griffin said.

"It was a very dumb half of football.

"It's nice to know that we're definitely there (in top eight), but it's going to have to be a lot better than that if we're going to do something with the (finals) spot."

Griffin praised Tyrone Peachey, who made the crucial line break, bringing the ball to within 20m of the tryline and allowing Moylan to kick the one-pointer to snatch the game.

In Jarryd Hayne's first match at fullback for two years, he was outshone by his opposite number Moylan, who scored the Panthers' first try in the eighth minute.

The lead was doubled in the 17th minute when Waqa Blake dived over wide.

Hayne had a chance to score the first try of his NRL return just before the break after an offload from Leivahu Pulu, but the Panthers' No.1 stopped him close to the line.

Just after halftime, the Titans were back in it when Pulu was fed by Greg Bird 5m out and he carried three defenders over the line for his first NRL try.

Bird set up a dramatic finish when he stretched out over the line to make it a two-point game.

The Titans need to beat North Queensland in Townsville next week or hope other results go their way.

Coach Neil Henry will keep an eye on Sunday's Warriors-Wests Tigers clash, but backs his team to get a result next Saturday against the Cowboys.

"It's not over. The destiny's in our own hands," Henry said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-past-gold-coast-titans-20160827-gr2qyu.html

Second time in three weekends that this players has maimed a fellow player.

See what happens when the NRL does not do their duty to protect other players when they don't punish the shitty players accordingly?

Spot On

Coach
Feel sorry for the Panthers.

If the judiciary had done their f**king job James would still be on the sidelines.

Kade Snowden 7 weeks for breaking a players jaw.
Inglis 3 weeks for breaking a players jaw.
James 1 week.

I hope he misses next week and any semi they might play.

Clifferd

Coach
Feel sorry for the Panthers.

If the judiciary had done their f**king job James would still be on the sidelines.

Kade Snowden 7 weeks for breaking a players jaw.
Inglis 3 weeks for breaking a players jaw.
James 1 week.

I hope he misses next week and any semi they might play.
Actually James got nothing for breaking Tedescos jaw and effectively ruling out our best player for the season

Watch the grub get off lightly here aswell

f**king bullshit

Pomoz

Bench
To be fair, the tackle doesn't look that bad. He was unlucky he got caught in the wrong place. We really needed him out there too because they were beating us up in the forwards.

Rhyno

First Grade
RCG is one ugly f**ker something about him just annoys me I hate watching him play

GongPanther

Referee
From Gus Gould's Twitter:

"X-ray confirms Reagan has fractured his L2 and L3 transverse process on right side of his back. 3 months recovery"

Out for the finals.

NRL will piss this incident off as "accidental"

chrisD

Coach
Stupid rules that kept him out there with the injury. That kind of tackle isn't illegal though. Sad for him personally, the coach considered him part of the best fit 17 at the moment and now he's out of the finals. Team wise Lats for RCG is like for like.

TheFrog

Coach
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it looked a bit crook to me too, like a cannonball tackle. James was pulled off immediately if it's the incident I'm thinking of.

Whino

Bench
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it looked a bit crook to me too, like a cannonball tackle. James was pulled off immediately if it's the incident I'm thinking of.

Thats the tackle. The ref yelled held and then James came charging in.

kbw

Bench
Ryan James is nothing short of filth, but there was nothing wrong with the tackle on RCG.
But I do agree he should not have been playing due to the hit against the tigers.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I understand Griffin being upset about losing another player for the semis but to me there was nothing in the tackle.

Frankus

Juniors
From Gus Gould's Twitter:

"X-ray confirms Reagan has fractured his L2 and L3 transverse process on right side of his back. 3 months recovery"

Out for the finals.

NRL will piss this incident off as "accidental"

This is a pretty painful injury. If it is a complete fracture, not a hairline/stress fracture - it is a possibility this could become chronic lower back injury for the poor kid.

This is the sort of injury where you think it is good to go after a couple of weeks - the bone starts to heal and you can move freely. You even do light exercise or a decent weight session and you think - I'm right. Then you do 1 high intensity session and you are back to square one.

Latest posts