What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Andrew Johns do no wrong?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why have you never mentioned that Laurie Daley is always bias towards the Dragons when he commentates now?

Surely this must bother you given your current stance on bias commentary?

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Why have you never mentioned that Laurie Daley is always bias towards the Dragons when he commentates now?

Surely this must bother you given your current stance on bias commentary?

I have say this El, you're a classic for bringing up side subjects. Laurie Daley is biased as well... he even admits it.
Plenty of others are biased too... Brett Kenny, Russell Fairfax and Gary Freeman spring to mind.
But IMO, no one is bad as the Ch 9 team when they commentate A Johns.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Brett Kenny no longer commentates on Fox.

It wasn't really a side subject either it just seems you're up them all of a sudden because they were bias against the Dragons yet there's bias commentary in favour of the Dragons on a regular basis courtesy of Daley.

Seeing they have been creaming their pants over Johns for years I can't understand the sudden wave of criticism.

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Seeing they have been creaming their pants over Johns for years I can't understand the sudden wave of criticism.

I wasn't that there was some sort of time-frame attached to starting discussions on a subject.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
El Duque said:

I wasn't that there was some sort of time-frame attached to starting discussions on a subject.

So if I started one on a bloke named Noah who allegedly built an ark you wouldn't think it odd? :p

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:

So if I started one on a bloke named Noah who allegedly built an ark you wouldn't think it odd? :p
What a great idea! :D :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
Willow said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:

Noah was a drunk

El Diablo

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:

Noah was a drunk

Was it Nadruku who built the ark :shock:

Anonymous

Juniors
El Duque said:
Kiwi said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:
El Duque said:

Noah was a drunk

Was it Nadruku who built the ark :shock:
You see, there's always a Rugby League connection to everything.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Seems to me Johns and Riddell had a sledging contest. I have no probs with that.
Johns got upset - So I declare Riddell the winner.
Riddell 1 Johns Nil - Johns can do wrong - but the commentators can probably turn that into a Johns win somehow. :(

Anonymous

Juniors
Someone pointed out to me today that Brett Firman was carving up the Knights for a while and the commentators in complimenting the halfback said, 'Johns has a lot of respect for Firman, he's been helping him out and giving him some tips'.

In all the nonsense, I forgot about that... I didn't think anything of players from other clubs helping each other out because its commonplace. When Firman came off injured in the 2nd half, Saints missed his influence and in a close match, it may have been the difference.

Why is it that when an opposing halfback is going great, it is somehow the doings of Andrew Johns? I'm almost embarrassed for Johns now.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Willow said:
Why is it that when an opposing halfback is going great, it is somehow the doings of Andrew Johns? I'm almost embarrassed for Johns now.

It stands to reason that halfbacks looking to improve their game will watch the best and learn from that. Johns obviously doesn't run around ALL the clubs telling the halfbacks what to do, but many halfbacks have added tricks to their games from the Johns repetoire ... Stacey Jones' banana kicks come to mind.

On the commentators, I am reminded of something Ian Heads wrote in a recent Rugby League Week. Something like "Every match Andrew Johns plays now is a jewel worth watching as he moves into the latter stages of his career". Which is a fair enough statement for one of the best players in the world at the moment.

Basically, the media have decided (NOT the fans!) that Andrew Johns is the best player in the world ... so when they watch him play they are enjoying him ( :? ) from the view that he is the best. Fans, on the other hand, watch him play as the opposition ... so he won't get the recognition he deserves. Nobody likes Johns coming into their backyards and playing a matchwinning hand at your expense!

roopy

Referee
Basically, the media have decided (NOT the fans!) that Andrew Johns is the best player in the world ...[/quote]

I think I should point out that Johns has won the peoples choice award five years in a row now. He often jokes, when they find a way to rip him off for the Dally M again, that he is the 'people's champion'.

The nine ninnies rave over any player who the media have given a high profile. They rave over Fittler, Lockyer, Langer and anyone else who has built a high profile. It saves them having to make up their minds who is actually playing well while they are trying to talk at the same time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
roopy said:
I think I should point out that Johns has won the peoples choice award five years in a row now. He often jokes, when they find a way to rip him off for the Dally M again, that he is the 'people's champion'.

How has the head slammer ever been ripped off at the Dally M's?

If anything he has won more than he should seeing they brought in the farcical rule about being allowed to win it if you've been suspended.

Anonymous

Juniors
Johns in rage over sledge on his sister

Newcastle matchwinner Andrew Johns had one of the finest weeks of his career ruined by a deeply insulting on-field sledge from Mark Riddell that has him seeing red.

Johns, still fuming about the sledge that targeted his sister Kate, was refusing to speak to the media about what was said.

Andrew Voss of Channel Nine asked Johns about the sledge after the match on Friday night, but Johns refused to comment. He did not return calls yesterday.

Johns told teammates in the Newcastle rooms on Friday night that he would square up with Riddell, who showed "no f---ing respect".

In an amazing show of emotion, even for the highly charged Johns, he ran at least 20 metres down the field to push Riddell in the back of the head.

It is believed Riddell was responding to a comment from Johns about his recent weight gain.

"Joey called him a fat c--- and then Mark went at him about his sister," one Dragons player said.

It is understood Johns was still hurt by the comment yesterday and won't be easy to bring around.

Riddell rang Johns's brother Matthew to let him know he was sorry for his comment.

"Mark rang up and said he regretted what was said," Matthew said.

"I could tell he was sincere in what he said and he meant it.

"I think what was said happened in the heat of the moment. He wants me to pass on his apology to Andrew and I'll be doing that when I speak to him.

"I know that the comments that were made were of a very personal nature and I can understand exactly why Andrew was upset by the whole thing.

"He would have taken some satisfaction out of the win."

Matthew Johns told 2SM the sledging from Riddell would have inspired a tired Andrew to lift his side to victory.

Riddell was staying quiet about what he had said to enrage the NSW skipper.

"Mate, what happens on the field stays on the field," he said.

"I won't be saying what happened. Anything that is said out there should be between the players.

"I don't have any drama with Joey, none at all. I don't know what he is feeling because I have not talked to him."

Riddell was one of the Dragons players involved a few weeks ago in some heavy sledging of Bulldogs five-eighth Braith Anasta which resulted in Anasta's wanting to dispel a rumour about him and his girlfriend Candice Falzon.

Dragons players were trying to suggest that Falzon had been unfaithful to Anasta after Brett Finch had spent the night at her family home. The truth of the matter is that Anasta was also at home, and so was Falzon's brother.

"People just like to make up crap about us and it is ridiculous," Anasta said.

"It's very disappointing."

- The Sun-Herald
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK..... Its only the media. But didn't Glenn McGrath cop heaps for losing the plot not long ago?

Like McGrath, Johns started the sledging.

Anonymous

Juniors
You pack of sad losers you wouldn't know a great team if you fell over one!!!! what a waste of space this topic is just another NEWCASTLE BASHING THREAD...... BORING BORING BORINGGGGGGGGGGG! :evil: :evil:

Anonymous

Juniors
misty said:
You pack of sad losers you wouldn't know a great team if you fell over one!!!! what a waste of space this topic is just another NEWCASTLE BASHING THREAD...... BORING BORING BORINGGGGGGGGGGG! :evil: :evil:
A Newcastle bashing thread? LOL... OK, tell me about it. :-({|= ... and here I was thinking the Newcs were a good team led by a great player. Anyway, this is was a Farkoff Ch 9 thread with a bit of Johns tantrum chucking thrown in for good measure. Hope you don't mind.

Ofcourse, we don't want to be wasting any space and for your benefit, we'll all be careful not to say anything more against this 'great team'. Be sure to let us all know if anyone ever slips up again. :lol:

Latest posts