What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Sharks win the Premiership?

Fein

First Grade
Dragons fans seem to be awfully indignant at the thought of Sharks making the finals.....fear methinks.

Well given that "Koala Avenue" is now a "sealed section", it's hard to gauge an accurate assessment other than the dribblings of a few, Adam. :lol:

Can the Sharks win the Premiership?

no, but they can salvage some pride and repair the damage of the first half of the season. The past 3 weeks have been good, on the back of tough football.

I thought I didn't like you, but I was wrong! A decent Saints fan. Seems the list is growing

But alas, the dinky dragon brings the standard back to gutter level!

I think the Sharks will add some spice to the remaining rounds of the comp, and will have plenty of teams nervous - particularly those above them that do not seem to have yet cemented a spot in the 8.

Great to see the young kids playing well now that they have been given a chance, and the Sharks fans must be happy to see some positive football after the dour style of play in 2008.

Winning the comp is a bit much to consider, but making the 8 is a possibility. It will not only depend on the Sharks winning though, but also the teams above them losing. I can see the ladder predictor getting a workout from Round 20 onwards.

-2009 Predictions-

-Manly to finish Minor Premiers
-Roosters to finish top 4
-Roosters to finish Premiers
-Parramatta to get the spoon
-NSW to win Origin
-Braith Anasta to somehow get selected again...
-and Mitch Pearce to win player of the series

-2009 NRL games: 16

Nice work. You must really know your stuff or have an awesome sense of humour. :lol:

22-02-2009, 05:30 PM
adamkungl
user_online.gif

First Grade
rank3.gif

icon1.gif
Re: This is no two-horse race
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Souci Sainter
Manly, Dragons, Warriors, Storm, Titans, Raiders.

Manly Roosters Warriors Sharks Dragons Storm

Mines better than yours.

22-02-2009, 09:57 PM
adamkungl
user_online.gif

First Grade
rank3.gif

icon1.gif
Re: This is no two-horse race
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Souci Sainter
Saints > Roosters = 2009

There is no way Easts will beat or finish higher than the Dragons this year.

Dragons smoked the Roosters last year. And Roosters have not improved.

Saints > Roosters = 2009

Now you're just setting yourself up for failure. We'll see come ANZAC day.

LOL!!!

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5757977

These were posted in February though.

adamkungl

Immortal
congrats, your guesses were better than mine. Somehow I didn't predict our forward pack going from the best to the worst over the offseason.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
congrats, your guesses were better than mine. Somehow I didn't predict our forward pack going from the best to the worst over the offseason.
It wasn't hard to see it coming. Roosters have recruited many 2nd rowers over the years but lacked depth up front. The problem being, the 2nd rowers they recruited or developed aren't "mobile", nor is the front row. With the 2 referees the game was always going to be quicker, as a result the need for good ruck defense and line speed is paramount. Something the Roosters forward pack were never going to be at the top in. Chuck in some overrated ex-dogs like O'Meley and Mason for good measure. The Roosters have a backline that requires their forward pack to dominate, the reliance on set plays and kicking games was never going to come to the fore if the pack didn't have the better of their opposition.

I couldn't understand all the hype about the Roosters before this season, the over-achieved last year with a stellar early run in the season, it was never going to pan out that way this time around. That being said I don't think anyone had them pegged as spoon contenders either. That said, they look to be turning things around over the last 4 rounds, they've just got to learn how to win again.

adamkungl

Immortal
It wasn't hard to see it coming. Roosters have recruited many 2nd rowers over the years but lacked depth up front. The problem being, the 2nd rowers they recruited or developed aren't "mobile", nor is the front row. With the 2 referees the game was always going to be quicker, as a result the need for good ruck defense and line speed is paramount. Something the Roosters forward pack were never going to be at the top in. Chuck in some overrated ex-dogs like O'Meley and Mason for good measure. The Roosters have a backline that requires their forward pack to dominate, the reliance on set plays and kicking games was never going to come to the fore if the pack didn't have the better of their opposition.

I couldn't understand all the hype about the Roosters before this season, the over-achieved last year with a stellar early run in the season, it was never going to pan out that way this time around. That being said I don't think anyone had them pegged as spoon contenders either. That said, they look to be turning things around over the last 4 rounds, they've just got to learn how to win again.

I don't think those are the issues. The offseason, by recent reports that came out when the sh*t hit the fan a few weeks ago, was a complete waste, with Fittler shuffling around the halves, a few forwards have recons and not training. A couple of losses in and there was friction between the players and coach. Injuries piled up. Our season started poorly and things just got worse, some were the clubs fault, others were just horrid luck.

I honestly thought at the end of last year, sure we bombed out badly, but the young guys would be a whole lot better for the experience. Mason and O'Meley had started last year well enough, and Mason was injured for the backend of the season. I didn't anticipate that was the last good form we are ever likely to see out of them. The young blokes have come on in leaps and bounds, but the old heads in the forwards haven't provided the platform. The halves started the year terribly as a result of the sh*t offseason. In the last 3 weeks there has been massive improvement, partly as a result of hitting rock bottom and the entire club being forced to take a good look at itself.

We've cleaned out a lot of sh*t for next year and brought up a lot of youngsters. Hopefully O'Meley and Mason follow Soliola and co and piss off. Next year should be a huge improvement. Pearce, Anasta, Minichiello, SKD, Perrett, Cherrington, Friend, Paea are players good enough to win a comp in the next few years.