What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you help out naming some faces - 66 Tigers Side

Quigs

Immortal
Hope you can help me out by naming some faces from the 1966 side. I got a lot I am sure of, some not so sure, and some completely forgot. Afterall it is only 47 years ago.

Thanks in advance. See my list below Pic

p-32-23.jpg

that would be 66 I'd say... I'll test my memory here with some players.

Back row... left to right. Artie, (maybe spencer),George Piper (he died mysteriously at the Tigers Leagues club) Peter Provan -brother of Norm and captain of the 69 winning side, Dennis Tutty.

Middle Row Pom legend David Bolton,(think it is Fitzgibbons ),Keith Barns, Bob Boland,???, ???,

Front Row - ???, (was it a Mara, Kevin Yow Yeh, (Laurie Mauaschi??)

I will find out through contacts. If you are an old league tragic, visit my rugby league website... www.eraofthebiff.com

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the list of all Balmain first grade players for the 1966 season:

Keith Barnes
Arthur Beetson
Bob Boland
Dave Bolton
Jim Bonus
Hal Browne
Geoff Connell
Dave Cooper
Paul Cross
Laurie Fagan
Kevin Gentles
Norm Henderson
Peter Jones
Gary Leo
John McCarthy
Bob Mara
Laurie Moraschi
George Piper
Peter Provan
Michael Ross
John Spencer
Brian Sullivan
Dennis Tutty
Sid Williams
Dick Wilson
Kevin Yow yeh

innsaneink

Referee
A couple of old posters ive had for some time, one for quigs. Cant help with any names
The Mirror ones are from 1968 and have quite a few teams like Norths Newtown Wests Souths Penrith, Parra Roosters etc

20130114115052.jpg

20130114114531.jpg

Quigs

Immortal
A couple of old posters ive had for some time, one for quigs. Cant help with any names
The Mirror ones are from 1968 and have quite a few teams like Norths Newtown Wests Souths Penrith, Parra Roosters etc

20130114115052.jpg

20130114114531.jpg

hi Innsaneink - thanks for the pics ... do you recognise the bloke in the sharks front row... in the centre.

I still remember most to them...

innsaneink

Referee
Not sure about front row center guy, but middle row far left bloke looks a lot like a young Jack Danzy???
I only recognize Kenny Madison from that lot....bit before my time

Quigs

Immortal
20130114114531.jpg

Inns - I thought I was the bloke with the fading memories.

Inn that bloke in the middle is a young Warren Wok Ryan.

Back row has me stumped at the moment... l-r Ron Dutton (i think), ???, ???, ???.

Middle row is - yes Jack Danzey (went on to be a ref) Bomber Hynes (scored our first ever try), ???? , the bloke I think you think is KM is infact Graham Wilson.(Dad of Alan and ?? who played for years for sharks and norths)and the last bloke is Alan McRitchie.(Son of Doug I believe - Doug McRitchie 'allegedly' had his ear bitten off in a scrum by one Bumper Farrell)

Front row is Noel Thorton (Took over coaching the sharks after Tommy Bishop in 1974) Terry Hughes (1st ever Rothmans Medal winner) Wok Ryan, Graeme Sams, ???.

That is off the top of my old head.

Quigs

Immortal
You gotta love those old jerseys. Better than the crap they run around in now. The Tiges looked great running out in those. The sharks set in the pic was the first year we had the hoops.

Arrhhhhhhh the days when clubs didn't have to farkkkkk around every three months to change a playing strip. Life was good.

Das Hassler

Bench
OP photo...if my eyes and memory are not too far off i'd say middle right are Hal Browne and Sid Williams...Front Row left is 100% definitely Paul Cross (i think)

Quigs

Immortal
p-32-23.jpg

Got this information from Troy Grant son of souths legend Bobby Grant.

(I'd already covered a few names mind you....)

BACK ROW:Young Artie Beetson,jack spencer,george piper (who died mysteriously out side of the Balmain Leagues Club),peter provan (who captained the 69 Winning side against Souths),dennis tutty (Who took the league on in the player transfer case).

SECOND ROW:dave bolton (Pommy Legend),dicki wilson,keith Golden Boots barnes,bob bolland (captain),harold brown (Quigs here - I thought it was Hal Brown ???),peter jones.

FRONT ROW Paul cross, bob mara, Kevin Yow Yee, Laurie Moraschi ...

Yep, to me the last list is spot on. Brings back some memories from my time on the hill in the 60's as a kid. The hill being the one to the right as you enter the main gate today as the ground ran east / west in the 60's.

Can recall Hal Brown running into the goal post at speed because of the setting sun, ouch.

I was trying to work out where the guys named played, but will guess:
Back Row:
Artie - 2nd row
Jack Spencer - reserve forward
George Piper - Prop
Peter Proven - Lock
Dennis Tutty - 2nd row

Middle Row:
Davie Bolton - Half
Dick Wilson - Hooker (if not prop)
Keith Barnes - Fullback
Bobby Boland - Prop (if not hooker)
Hal Brown - reserve back
Peter Jones - 5/8

Front Row:
Paul Cross - Winger
Bobby Mara - Winger
Kevin Yow Yeh - Centre
Laurie Moraschi - Centre

In the GF in 66 the back line above played. In the forwards, Brian Sullivan was prop; Bobby Boland played hooker, Sid Willams and Dave Cooper were the reserves.

spearby

Juniors
p-32-23.jpg

Got this information from Troy Grant son of souths legend Bobby Grant.

(I'd already covered a few names mind you....)

BACK ROW:Young Artie Beetson,jack spencer,george piper (who died mysteriously out side of the Balmain Leagues Club),peter provan (who captained the 69 Winning side against Souths),dennis tutty (Who took the league on in the player transfer case).

SECOND ROW:dave bolton (Pommy Legend),dicki wilson,keith Golden Boots barnes,bob bolland (captain),harold brown (Quigs here - I thought it was Hal Brown ???),peter jones.

FRONT ROW Paul cross, bob mara, Kevin Yow Yee, Laurie Moraschi ...

super_coach

First Grade
Didnt Dicki Wilson get punted for betting on the other side, than going bush and doing the same thing while playing for Lithgow Workies????????

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I have memories of Paul Cross always diving for the corner...no matter who was around. He just stretched out for corner even if he could have run around and scored under the post without a hand being laid on him.

Maybe it is just my memories of him but gee he brought me to my feet a few times the at LO....

super_coach

First Grade
I have memories of Paul Cross always diving for the corner...no matter who was around. He just stretched out for corner even if he could have run around and scored under the post without a hand being laid on him.

Maybe it is just my memories of him but gee he brought me to my feet a few times the at LO....

Kevin Yow YEh was more exciting, he was as good as Larry Corowa. Poor bugger I think died in jail in Brisbane

Quigs

Immortal
Kevin Yow YEh was more exciting, he was as good as Larry Corowa. Poor bugger I think died in jail in Brisbane

G'day Supe.

If you read Big Arties book he has an entire chapter on Keving Yow Yeh. Artie said he was a brilliant player but had demons when it came to the drink.

He got into a lot of strife whilst on the slops.

He did die in custody.

Latest posts