What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cancer scare for Mannah

Liam

Juniors
Cancer scare for Mannah

• James Hooper

THIS is the heartbreaking story of one of the NRL's most promising young forwards as he battles a mystery illness.

The greatest fear for Cronulla forward Jon Mannah is that he has a form of cancer, lymphoma.

While his older brother Tim was starring for Parramatta against Wests Tigers at the SFS on Friday night, 2km away Jon was in a hospital bed at St Vincent's.

He was discharged yesterday after doctors took some bone marrow from his back.

Mannah is expected to get the test results on Wednesday.

Deeply religious, Mannah is in the prayers of the rugby league community as he rests at his Condell Park home in western Sydney.

"I'm doing a lot better,'' Mannah told The Sunday Telegraph.

"They're saying it could be a number of things. What they're trying to rule out is an infection in the bone. We still don't know, we're waiting until Wednesday or Thursday next week to get a result."

"They've taken a little bit of bone marrow out. I'm free to go home today, but I'll be a bit sore around where I was cut.''

The Cronulla club has been swift to rally around Mannah since coach Ricky Stuart informed the Sharks playing group of his predicament last Saturday.

Out injured with a cracked vertebra in his back, Sharks doctor Dave Givney began to have concerns when the injury showed no sign of healing.
He sent Mannah to Australia's leading spinal surgeon, Dr Richard Parkinson, for tests that later revealed what doctors refer to has a "hot spot'' - a warning sign for cancer.

Football is the furthest thing from the minds of the Mannah family.

Even as brother Tim prepared to play for Parramatta against the Tigers, you can guarantee he would have said a prayer for his younger sibling.

"He did a blood test on Tuesday and that came out OK, so it was a bit of a nervous week,'' Tim said. "Jonny being Jonny, he stayed positive and didn't let it get to him."

"They took out some fluid from his spine and then they're going to test the fluid to see if there's any infections. Hopefully he'll be sweet.''

From a tight-knit Lebanese-Australian family, brothers Jon and Tim still live at home with dad Fred, mum Abir and brothers Danny and Jamie.

Mum spent last Friday by Jon's side at the hospital, when Mannah spent 45 minutes under a general anaesthetic.

Sharks chief executive Richard Fisk has been in regular contact with the family, echoing sentiments of support from the rugby league community.

"The concerns and thoughts of all at the Sharks and the entire rugby league community are with Jon and his family in what's clearly a very stressful time,'' Fisk said.

"Jon and his family have faced the challenge with incredible strength and positivity and I'm confident this will be a major factor in providing the best possible outcome."

"It's fortunate that it's been caught early and that Jon is so physically and mentally strong to face

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/cancer-scare-for-mannah/story-e6frexnr-1225765116553

broncos70

Juniors
i was gonna post about it when it first happened because i knew it was serious but was in hope it wasnt gonna be anything too serious..i talked to him a couple days ago and he said it was getting a bit better but was slow

The Dodger

First Grade
can we get some updates on this?

does anyone know of any further news?

f**k i hope he is alright.

Vossy

Bench
Johnny Mannah update
http://www.sharks.com.au/?s=article-display&id=19729

After scans conducted for a back complaint on young Sharks forward Johnny Mannah revealed 'hot spots', subsequent tests have returned positive biopsy results for lymphoma.

Johnny will begin treatment next week, with the Sharks to give him and his family every possible support during his recovery process.

The Sharks have asked media representatives to respect the privacy of Johnny and his family while he is undergoing his treatment and recovery and while the club appreciates the well wishes of the fans would request any messages of support be directed to the football office and not directly to Johnny himself.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
That's bad news guys but on a brighter note lymphoma can be cured my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma the same that mannah has 4 years ago and since finishing her treatment she has been given the all clear. So all the best to his family and the sharks.

Eion

First Grade
Yeah - all the best Johnny. It's possible the injury has lead to early detection. I hope that's the case and he smashes it.

Latest posts