What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

BLM01

First Grade
You don't really see proper tackling around the legs anymore in the 80s Paul Taylor (Parra midget fullback) was one of the best so was Michael Speechley (sic) slight of frame guys but hardly missed a tackle on the big forwards, these days you have players trying to hold up a player for as long as possible before putting him on the ground and "turtling" him just to slow down the ruck and for the defense to get set, if Dufty, Field and the others should just take the legs out of the opponent as they dont have the strength to hold players up, should get them to watch Steve Mortimer cover tackles as well..
Going back to the 5 metre rule would fix all this and stopping the refs chatter. All the refs need to say "let him go or held when momentum stopped"..then pea the whistle if they dont get off immediately

denis preston

First Grade
Well done boys you all had a great year.
I hope we give clune a chance.

Clune biggest challenge is the massive NRL forwards coming at him.Again players under 90 kilos suffer . It is a exclusive not inclusive game now days and the league has a massive challenge to correct this.They try to clean up the game and the off field issues to get the junior players mothers to let them play the game , but even if they are they hit massive roadblocks against monsters with bigger bodies. Just look at touch football numbers to show the product is potentially there .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
You don't really see proper tackling around the legs anymore in the 80s Paul Taylor (Parra midget fullback) was one of the best so was Michael Speechley (sic) slight of frame guys but hardly missed a tackle on the big forwards, these days you have players trying to hold up a player for as long as possible before putting him on the ground and "turtling" him just to slow down the ruck and for the defense to get set, if Dufty, Field and the others should just take the legs out of the opponent as they dont have the strength to hold players up, should get them to watch Steve Mortimer cover tackles as well..

Legs tackling has become a neglected art form due to the rules, imo. Once tackled around the legs you can here the ref say release, which allows faster play the balls. Not releasing quickly equals a penalty. As you say, body tackling allows for slower play the ball as rhe ref has to decide when really a player is "held" then you hear "release now". The difference can be a couple of seconds which allows for the set defensive line.
Good legs tackles should be rewarded not punished.

BLM01

First Grade
Clune biggest challenge is the massive NRL forwards coming at him.Again players under 90 kilos suffer . It is a exclusive not inclusive game now days and the league has a massive challenge to correct this.They try to clean up the game and the off field issues to get the junior players mothers to let them play the game , but even if they are they hit massive roadblocks against monsters with bigger bodies. Just look at touch football numbers to show the product is potentially there .
I have heard that Clune is happy with part time and wants no more

BLM01

First Grade
He wants a top 30 contract
Thanks GD.and good.on him.he is better half than Dessie in my opinion
His size and defence would worry me to relieve at NRL
He must of changed his tune for a year or so ago. Cant remember who told me that or I might of dreamt it

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-scores-a-try--celeb-1gp_8936.jpg

CANTERBURY CUP

Canterbury Cup NSW Dragons season review
Author
Tom Gibbs
Timestamp
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:17 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons ended an outstanding regular season in top spot with 31 points after 24 rounds, deservedly being crowned minor premiers for 2019.

The first-place result after a gruelling 2019 campaign also continues the Dragons’ run of dominance as one of the Canterbury Cup NSW's strongest competitors of recent seasons, finishing among the top-two for the third time in four years.

Considering the season they had, the Dragons can be forgiven for coming ever so close to a Grand Final appearance, but there is more to look forward to in 2020 after a year in which they produced the best attacking record (588 points scored) and least defeats (6) in the competition.

Their highlight moment

Round 7 v North Sydney Bears - 50-24 W

HIGHLIGHTS | North Sydney v St George Illawarra – Round 7

The Dragons’ highlight moment was not just their first and only half-century of the season, but the win also came against a fellow top-four rival in the North Sydney Bears.

Jai field opened proceedings after eight minutes, scooting over the line off the back a Jackson Ford break.

North Sydney soon replied with a four-pointer to Tom Freebairn, and both sides traded blows for the rest of the half - with two more tries apiece - as the Bears took an 18-16 lead into the break.

The Bears managed one try early in the second yet could not score for the rest of match as the Dragons piled on 34 points, including doubles for Tristan Sailor, Jason Saab and Jackson Ford to seal the win.

Simply their best

Jackson Ford

Jackson Ford showed plenty of promise throughout the season, leading to a deserved first-grade debut in a breakout year for the 21-year-old.

The St George Illawarra second-rower was commended for a brilliant 2019 upon receiving the Dragons’ Canterbury Cup Player of the Year award, and was also named in the Canterbury Cup Team of the Week on numerous occasions during the year.

fordj-scores-a-try-1gp_0513.jpg

Ford was rewarded with an NRL debut in Round 21 after strong form in the Canterbury Cup NSW.
Ford was a major point of difference in the Dragons’ attack, scoring the most tries of any forward in the competition (13). He also produced a total of 3155 run metres (4th) including 1111 post-contact (5th), and made 678 tackles (11th).

Room for improvement

While St George Illawarra were THE stats leaders in key attacking areas such as try-assists (91) and line-break assists (90), the Dragons will need to address their ball-control if they are to keep progressing next year.

Despite ending the season atop the competition ladder, the Dragons recorded the most errors (256) in 2019 and, as result, finished eighth in average set completion (72.7%).

Although the numbers suggest that the Dragons may have taken more risks in attack than their competition, if they can minimise the amount of possession allowed to opposition sides, it could be enough to see them earn the ultimate prize in 2020.

Soward's season grading

B

Really disappointed with how they finished the season with a loss in the Preliminary Final. I thought they had the style to win the whole thing but they were a victim of how their first-grade team was performing.

They made some changes and had some guys play in Finals Week One but just couldn't switch it on when it mattered and it was another opportunity missed for the Red V.

This season grading is the opinion of Jamie Soward, based purely on performance factors throughout the 2019 season, and does not nessecarily reflect the views of NSWRL.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/14/canterbury-cup-season-review/

nontime111

Juniors
Im so excited about watching FORD carve up next season it will be his breakout year I think hell play origin sooner rather than later, Him and LUCH are my favourite young forwards, I like blocker too such mungrel but Id love to see him pass some if it on to young KERR aswell SO much potential! all we need is a coach we already HAVE the cattle

Wittenberg

Juniors
Im so excited about watching FORD carve up next season it will be his breakout year I think hell play origin sooner rather than later, Him and LUCH are my favourite young forwards, I like blocker too such mungrel but Id love to see him pass some if it on to young KERR aswell SO much potential! all we need is a coach we already HAVE the cattle
Big call re Ford and Origin. He needs to bulk up a little. He has good pace and a good work rate but I don’t want to see too much expectation put on him just yet. He is a genuine talent but I hope he is used properly. Host had potential too and remember what hopes there were with him. Host was partly overrated, partly poorly used. Let’s see if Ford can survive Mary before we talk of Origin. I too have great hopes for Luch, using him as a trade for Matterson would have been a tragedy.

Old Timer

Coach
Big call re Ford and Origin. He needs to bulk up a little. He has good pace and a good work rate but I don’t want to see too much expectation put on him just yet. He is a genuine talent but I hope he is used properly. Host had potential too and remember what hopes there were with him. Host was partly overrated, partly poorly used. Let’s see if Ford can survive Mary before we talk of Origin. I too have great hopes for Luch, using him as a trade for Matterson would have been a tragedy.
All our forward stocks are in for a world of pain with Mc Fookknuckle's power game being the foundation to "his success".
Ford at < 100kg will be exposed to the gym and "the muscle bulk" programme that has been the downfall of so many of our players.
We keep trying to build our players into "action figure" shapes and that has been an unmitigated disaster.
I cannot see that other than Vaughan (not tot confident for him either) that any of our current rep players will be in the selection mix in 2020 as they have all gone backwards whilst so many players at other clubs have excelled under astute coaching.

George Dragon

Juniors
All our forward stocks are in for a world of pain with Mc Fookknuckle's power game being the foundation to "his success".
Ford at < 100kg will be exposed to the gym and "the muscle bulk" programme that has been the downfall of so many of our players.
We keep trying to build our players into "action figure" shapes and that has been an unmitigated disaster.
I cannot see that other than Vaughan (not tot confident for him either) that any of our current rep players will be in the selection mix in 2020 as they have all gone backwards whilst so many players at other clubs have excelled under astute coaching.
Jacko has been bulking he is already over 100k

Old Timer

Coach
Jacko has been bulking he is already over 100k
Do you think that his frame is suited to the additional bulk and any idea what the "desired" weight is for him?
I think many of our players look far to "muscled or bulked up" and I think for some their lateral movement is affected any ideas on that?