What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carbs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We hear so much about carbs and how you need them if you are going to exercise but I also hear bad things about them.

Some diets dont allow carbs after lunch time but I think they are pretty much from womens magazines (according to my wife).

Besides the fact that they assist in providing energy I also hear that eating carbs for dinner can cause yu to put on weight if you dont burn them off before going to sleep.

I dont think there are too many Aussie families that dont have potatoes, corn, rice or pasta with their dinner.

Just wondering if there is any truth in the fact that "unused" carbs are converted to fat while you sleep.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yep, as a rule I eat a serving of carbs an hour or so before I hit the gym, then avoid them for the rest of the day.

A mate of mine also saw a nutritionist recently to lose weight, and he was told to avoid carbs at night and eat more proteins for dinner.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty hard when the misses cooks spuds with the evening meal every night because the kids eat chips till it comes out their ears.

It is so hard to avoid them.

Johns Magic

Referee
Pretty hard when the misses cooks spuds with the evening meal every night because the kids eat chips till it comes out their ears.

It is so hard to avoid them.

Yep, no bread or pasta either.

I couldn't live without pasta so I incorporate it into my pre-gym carb meal on most days.

Cans of baked beans in the cupboard are your friend when you have to substitute something in for potatoes at dinner. Luckily I'm not huge on potatoes anyway though.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
another thing

if you slip down the pub for a few cold ones of Friday afternoon after work, does drinking the low carb beer make any or much difference, assuming you have say 5 or 6 beers ?

adamkungl

Immortal
I can live without potatoes, but I have pasta 2-3 times a week, its my favourite food. Meh, what do I care, I don't have weight problems anyway. And I'd rather just exercise more than not eat pasta for dinner.

roopy

Referee
Carbs should make up the majority of a healthy diet, but it's like that old TV ad that said 'oils aint oils' - every carb has a different glycemic index - and you should have very few low GI carbs - or none if you are overweight.

In short - you shouldn't eat a kilo of lollies before bed, but a kilo of vegetables (except maybe a few high starch ones) would be fine.

Glycemic Index, or how fast the body can convert the carb into glucose, is the key to carbs.

Hallatia

Referee
I can live without potatoes, but I have pasta 2-3 times a week, its my favourite food. Meh, what do I care, I don't have weight problems anyway. And I'd rather just exercise more than not eat pasta for dinner.
are you sure that is the right attitude to have? I find myself thinking those things too. I can eat whetever I want, I exercise and I don't have weight problems ... sometimes I think it is that attitude which can lead to a problem, because sometimes when I exercise and I am really pushing myself, I will start to think why am I doing this anyway, I don't need it, I have a great body ...

adamkungl

Immortal
are you sure that is the right attitude to have? I find myself thinking those things too. I can eat whetever I want, I exercise and I don't have weight problems ... sometimes I think it is that attitude which can lead to a problem, because sometimes when I exercise and I am really pushing myself, I will start to think why am I doing this anyway, I don't need it, I have a great body ...

That attitude could lead to a problem, if I sat around all day instead of going to the gym most days

Kiki

First Grade
i think its hard because when i first started looking into health as a teenager it was all about low fat is best no matter what the sugar or carb content in the food. i didnt even know what a carb was! i sure as hell didnt know anything about the importance of protein.

carbs are my downfall though. im not into fried foods or chocolate or sugar but omgggg pizza and pasta and noodles...love them.

but when i have been able to lose alot of weight its been from cutting down carbs so i only have them in the morning (like one piece of soy and linseed toast with eggs or whatever)

Twiz are you trying to lose weight or just maintain/be healthy? if ur just being healthy, potatos are totally fine...if ur trying to lose weight subsitute them for sweet potato because they are low GI and lower in carbs.

Valderon

Juniors
We hear so much about carbs and how you need them if you are going to exercise but I also hear bad things about them.

Carbohydrates are the most important macronutrient to consume , yet they are the most misunderstood macronutrient. There are tonnes of myths which mislead people into irrational thoughts about CHO consumption in the diet. An example of this is the old "Low CHO, High Protein" diets; which are very unhealthy for you; yet people still do this for weight-loss, even though it's an inefficient, and nonsensical approach to their problem.

Some diets dont allow carbs after lunch time but I think they are pretty much from womens magazines (according to my wife).

Besides the fact that they assist in providing energy I also hear that eating carbs for dinner can cause yu to put on weight if you dont burn them off before going to sleep.

Any diet that suggests "no carbs after lunch" , or "no carbs in the morning before exercise", or "no carbs after dinner" is all hype, smoke and mirrors - especially in relation to weight gain or weight loss. What dictates the bodyfat you ultimately gain results primarily from the basic and simplistic equation of 'energy in -vs- energy out' (ie: energy consumed via food and beverages , versus energy expended from exercise, and from basic organ functions (resting metabolic rate)). Anything else may influence your energy levels, or health in another manner; though specifically in relation to weight gain or weight loss?; it's a simple energy balance equation and nothing more.

I dont think there are too many Aussie families that dont have potatoes, corn, rice or pasta with their dinner.

Just wondering if there is any truth in the fact that "unused" carbs are converted to fat while you sleep.

No truth at all. While you rest, you're still using energy. You're still burning kilojoules (the Australian measure of energy, ie: "calories") while you rest, because you still need energy to maintain organ function and to proliferate cellular activity (such as maintaining muscle tension at rest). For example; if you require 12,000kJ's per day, and you've only consumed 8,000kJ prior to bed; and you choose to then have a snack worth 2000kJ's just before bed.... you're still , as a whole , short in your overall energy intake, thus you'll actually burn a very miniscule amount of body fat; (ie: not store / increase it).

Carbohydrates as a whole are essential ; they're meant to form the majority of our diet for both healthy individuals, and athletes. CHO is the most efficient source of energy; it's the most chemically simplistic nutrient that is converted into glucose for energy (ATP) production; and for cognitive (brain) function. While other energy, in Fat and Protein, are able to be converted into glucose as well; they're either excessive in energy (Fat), or inefficient in energy return per kilojoule (Protein); thus more taxing on the body. Hence why carbohydrates predominantly fuel exercise; particularly at high intensities.

Prior to exercise, particularly for a training session which is an hour or so in duration; low GI carbohydrates are necessary to prolong activity and energy supply; whereas high GI carbohydrates should be taken during endurance events (sugar gels, bananas); OR, directly after a work-out to assist spiking insulin, and to promote optimal recovery. Both forms of carbohydrates have their benefits; both are necessary!

Valderon

Juniors
Yep, as a rule I eat a serving of carbs an hour or so before I hit the gym, then avoid them for the rest of the day.

A mate of mine also saw a nutritionist recently to lose weight, and he was told to avoid carbs at night and eat more proteins for dinner.

Good work eating carbs before you hit the Gym. I wouldn't avoid eating them for the 'rest of the day'. I don't know when you go to the Gym, though, a carbohydrate rich breakfast is usually recommended (one which has sufficient dietary fibre); not to mention, CHO generally is meant to consume 55% or so of your whole daily consumption. The idea that CHO is responsible for weight gain is nonsense. In fact, per 1 gram of CHO, we ingest 17kJ of energy. This is equal to protein at 17kJ per 1 gram as well; whereby 1 gram of lipids (fat) yields approximately 37kJ .... so, based on simple maths; how does replacing your carbohydrate diet at dinner with protein differ?. It doesn't. They're equally weighted in energy yield; however, ATP turnover is higher in carbohydrates; plus energy production, use and storage is greater with carbohydrates.

Last edited:

Valderon

Juniors
Carbs should make up the majority of a healthy diet, but it's like that old TV ad that said 'oils aint oils' - every carb has a different glycemic index - and you should have very few low GI carbs - or none if you are overweight.

In short - you shouldn't eat a kilo of lollies before bed, but a kilo of vegetables (except maybe a few high starch ones) would be fine.

Glycemic Index, or how fast the body can convert the carb into glucose, is the key to carbs.

Thank you.

Well said Roopy!

And yes, (as per your second post), you did mix the two GI's up! haha ... but that's OK ... good advice !

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
i think its hard because when i first started looking into health as a teenager it was all about low fat is best no matter what the sugar or carb content in the food. i didnt even know what a carb was! i sure as hell didnt know anything about the importance of protein.

carbs are my downfall though. im not into fried foods or chocolate or sugar but omgggg pizza and pasta and noodles...love them.

but when i have been able to lose alot of weight its been from cutting down carbs so i only have them in the morning (like one piece of soy and linseed toast with eggs or whatever)

Twiz are you trying to lose weight or just maintain/be healthy? if ur just being healthy, potatos are totally fine...if ur trying to lose weight subsitute them for sweet potato because they are low GI and lower in carbs.

Just trying to remain healthy and fit.

I suffer from nospam29, I've very competitive when I play sport and being middle aged and playing a high level of cricket against players who are 20 years younger makes it necessary that I remain fit.

I dont mind a cold one after the game either so its a matter of moderation.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Carbohydrates are the most important macronutrient to consume , yet they are the most misunderstood macronutrient. There are tonnes of myths which mislead people into irrational thoughts about CHO consumption in the diet. An example of this is the old "Low CHO, High Protein" diets; which are very unhealthy for you; yet people still do this for weight-loss, even though it's an inefficient, and nonsensical approach to their problem.

Any diet that suggests "no carbs after lunch" , or "no carbs in the morning before exercise", or "no carbs after dinner" is all hype, smoke and mirrors - especially in relation to weight gain or weight loss. What dictates the bodyfat you ultimately gain results primarily from the basic and simplistic equation of 'energy in -vs- energy out' (ie: energy consumed via food and beverages , versus energy expended from exercise, and from basic organ functions (resting metabolic rate)). Anything else may influence your energy levels, or health in another manner; though specifically in relation to weight gain or weight loss?; it's a simple energy balance equation and nothing more.

No truth at all. While you rest, you're still using energy. You're still burning kilojoules (the Australian measure of energy, ie: "calories") while you rest, because you still need energy to maintain organ function and to proliferate cellular activity (such as maintaining muscle tension at rest). For example; if you require 12,000kJ's per day, and you've only consumed 8,000kJ prior to bed; and you choose to then have a snack worth 2000kJ's just before bed.... you're still , as a whole , short in your overall energy intake, thus you'll actually burn a very miniscule amount of body fat; (ie: not store / increase it).

Carbohydrates as a whole are essential ; they're meant to form the majority of our diet for both healthy individuals, and athletes. CHO is the most efficient source of energy; it's the most chemically simplistic nutrient that is converted into glucose for energy (ATP) production; and for cognitive (brain) function. While other energy, in Fat and Protein, are able to be converted into glucose as well; they're either excessive in energy (Fat), or inefficient in energy return per kilojoule (Protein); thus more taxing on the body. Hence why carbohydrates predominantly fuel exercise; particularly at high intensities.

Prior to exercise, particularly for a training session which is an hour or so in duration; low GI carbohydrates are necessary to prolong activity and energy supply; whereas high GI carbohydrates should be taken during endurance events (sugar gels, bananas); OR, directly after a work-out to assist spiking insulin, and to promote optimal recovery. Both forms of carbohydrates have their benefits; both are necessary!

could you please give us some examples of high GI and low GI carbs

Johns Magic

Referee
Good work eating carbs before you hit the Gym. I wouldn't avoid eating them for the 'rest of the day'. I don't know when you go to the Gym, though, a carbohydrate rich breakfast is usually recommended (one which has sufficient dietary fibre); not to mention, CHO generally is meant to consume 55% or so of your whole daily consumption. The idea that CHO is responsible for weight gain is nonsense. In fact, per 1 gram of CHO, we ingest 17kJ of energy. This is equal to protein at 17kJ per 1 gram as well; whereby 1 gram of lipids (fat) yields approximately 37kJ .... so, based on simple maths; how does replacing your carbohydrate diet at dinner with protein differ?. It doesn't. They're equally weighted in energy yield; however, ATP turnover is higher in carbohydrates; plus energy production, use and storage is greater with carbohydrates.

Well I'm not going to be able to discuss this with you in as great a depth as you have because my knowledge is simply second-hand from a few health professionals I've spoken to, but what you say is interesting. I guess at the end of the day people have different theories about it and it probably can depend on the person's metabolism, but this friend of mine was advised by a high-profile dietitian to avoid carbs in the PM so I suppose it is a commonly accepted one(even if not 100% proven correct, like a lot of dieting theories).

Just a quote I google'd trying to find what I'd been told.

"5. Avoid eating carbs before bedtime. This will trigger insulin, which will inhibit fat-burning while you sleep and in fact, will initiate fat STORAGE."

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

And another site which speaks of it

http://thelowcarbcook.com/?page_id=4

Of course for every site supporting the no-carbs-at-night theory, there's another site saying it's a myth...so at the end of the day I don't know who to believe, but I'm the sort of person who would err on the side of caution(personally).

Oh and my gym sessions are usually between 6-8pm although that can vary.

Cheers for the advice and it's definitely something I'll look into more now.

Danish

Referee
I'd say the "no carbs at night" line is largely because many of us over-eat during the day, and its much easier to tell someone to reduce the portion side of one of their meals than trying to get someone to eat right the whole day through.

Cutting the potatoes out of your meat and 3 veg style meals, and limiting the amount of pasta you eat is quite manageable for most people and for someone who is overweight is a simple way to ease yourself into a healthier eating regime.

As said above in the end it all comes down to energy in vs energy out, however the "no carbs after lunch/6pm/etc" type of eating is certainly not a fad diet IMO (providing people don't replace those carbs with an extra bit of steak of course!)

Thomas

First Grade
I'm in a bit of a rut myself. I did my knee in and got a cushy office job. Now its a case of losing 5-10kgs.

I've been going to the gym and started running again and have dropped a pant size. Now I need to tone it up a bit. I've figured I need to really start watching my food intake and to boost up the cardio.

Kind of hard to go for a run at lunch when it's 35 degrees. Even harder to go for a run when I get home due to my 2 year old son and my part-time job/hobby