What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carl Webb joins Cowboys for 2 years

Parraren

Bench
Webb to join Cowboys
19:09 AEST Wed Jul 14 2004

Former Queensland Origin forward Carl Webb agreed to terms with North Queensland for the next two NRL seasons.

Webb, 23, knocked backed offers from Canberra, Cronulla and Newcastle to sign with the Cowboys, currently 10th on the NRL table.

He also rejected offers from Wigan and Castleford to play out the remainder of this year's Super League competition in England.

Webb's manager Barry Collins said the swaying factors were the tropical weather in Townsville and the future prospects of the club.

"I think he sees the Cowboys as a side on the way up," said Collins.

"I believe Carl will play better football in a side not dotted with 10 or 11 internationals because he's basically a quiet guy.

"I'm not a football coach but sometimes when you've got a lot of guys wanting to run the ball, the quieter guys sometimes stand back."

Brisbane back-rower Webb had ruled out signing with Canberra or Cronulla, the latter club because the Dalby product was not keen on the Sydney lifestyle.

The choice was whittled down to North Queensland or the Knights, who are now chasing Melbourne's Kirk Reynoldson.

Collins said the Cowboys contract included incentives for Webb to add to his four Origin appearances for the Maroons in 2001 and 2002.

"He's got the fire in the belly to get going," added Collins. "We couldn't be happier."

Webb has been impressive during the Broncos' recent victories over South Sydney and St George Illawarra after languishing in Queensland Cup for most of the season.

"It's really disappointing to have missed out on Carl," Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said.

"As I said to Barry (Collins), I think we would've been good for each other.

"He was just what we were looking for and I think he would've fitted into our side nicely.

"Being a Queensland country boy, the thought of Sydney didn't appeal to him but there's a big difference between Cronulla and Sydney.

"We've got some other area that we're now exploring."

©AAP 2004

Cowboys have made some good signings (Thurston, Smith & Webb), they'll be a very strong side next year fully fit. Good strong back row and big Rauhihi up front, I like the halves pairing of Thurston & Sheppard too.

Its a bloody Joke!!!!! The whole competition is getting unfairer by the minute! Its not right when a side like Newcastle loses so much quality gains nobody and therefore it will make them a wooden spoon contender! Yet Parramatta can go out and buy neone they want!!! they have bought 4 top players and now want more in Hazem El Masri, its not right!!!

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Well it was likely that he was going to sign with the Knights, nothing to do with Peters, everyone thought the same.

imasharkie

Coach
Jaime_Koeppe_Is_Hot said:
Its a bloody Joke!!!!! The whole competition is getting unfairer by the minute! Its not right when a side like Newcastle loses so much quality gains nobody and therefore it will make them a wooden spoon contender! Yet Parramatta can go out and buy neone they want!!! they have bought 4 top players and now want more in Hazem El Masri, its not right!!!

Well maybe you shouldn't have spent all your money on Joey especially when he spends little time on the field these days

Karma is a bitch aint it Newcastle

Huh? What we kicked ur ass in the 97 grand final? Its ok 4 ur team as they buy every year and they r still at the bottom :lol: :lol:

Big Mick

Referee

At least your talking to players.

Special K

Coach
Rauhihi and Webb - That is crazy. They should bail out J-Williams(Rauhihi shat himself and walked away when J-Will looked at him after he grabbed Peachey)

But good buying from the cowboys so far.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Karma is a bitch aint it Newcastle

Huh? What we kicked ur ass in the 97 grand final? Its ok 4 ur team as they buy every year and they r still at the bottom :lol: :lol:

No your local chemist "kicked our ass" in 97. Wrong choice of phrase there buddy, a side where numerous players were on performance enhancing drugs who scored the winning try in the final play of the game, isn't exactly an "ass kicking". You obviously lack the intelligence and/or age to know what you're talking about. Back to the sandpit...

t-ba

Post Whore
CC_Eagle said:
No your local chemist "kicked our ass" in 97

:lol: :lol: .

Keep having a whinge JKIH. Other teams have lost more quality in a shorter space of time and survived to tell the tale. I know it might be hard to believe, but every club has to go through a rocky period, where mediocrity is the order of the day. You still have the Worlds best player, the Worlds Best hooker, an all star pack and a backline full of SoO experience...

t-ba

Post Whore
Thanks for BK. Need I say more?

Yeah...we'll see your mob in a few weeks. No Jye Mullane or Kane Cleal to hand you victory on a platter this time around...

Latest posts