What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney decision delayed.

edabomb

First Grade
Totally disagree.

Don Furner - "yes, we're willing to negotiate"
Riolo - "Todd still wants to get wasted every weekend. Otherwise he walks".

TBH the fact the club hasn't listened to Todd's version of events should limit them from making ultimatums.

Mal Meninga

Bench
It's more than likely Todd and the players want him back this season.

Riolo wants to know who wrote the guidelines. The board, players, janitor, ball boys? A few players like Turner and Thommo don't really know what's going on.

cram

Bench
For what its worth I reckon you blokes are going great guns. Given the situation with your coach and your team of young blokes you have gone great guns this year.

The effort the team put in last week without Carney shows me that your team has heart and plenty of tomorrows.

Looking forward to Raiders V Knights in a few weeks.

Fathead

Bench
If the raiders sack Todd Carney they will have the admiration and respect of the fans out there from all clubs.
We have to weed these bottom dwellers out of the game. Its human nature to stuff up once but when are these talented but brain dead footballers ever going to get the message ???
By taking a firm stance and at their detriment, the raiders will say to the rest of the league community that they have heart and standards.
No compromise - let him be someone elses problem and dont get too downheartened if he goes to the Panthers or whatever. A goose like that wont be able to help himself and will soon drag their name down as well.

Bay56

First Grade
THe Canberra Times today has published an open letter from Todd Carney.

In summary:

1. Admits to inapropriate behaviour

2. Expresses his apologies to the fellow concerned, the club and supporters and the NRL

3. Indicates that in his opinion the media have not reported some other incidents correctly (such as barking at women)

4. Extremely disappointed that the Raiders board did not include him in any discussions prior to handing down the punishment

5. Loves the club, having played with the Raiders since he was 12, and having knocked back some big money offers recently from other NRL clubs and overseas.

6. Is still commited to the Raiders "however I am appealing the process of these events in the hope that I can be back on the field in the lime green as soon as possible, if the club allows it."

Bay56

First Grade
If the raiders sack Todd Carney they will have the admiration and respect of the fans out there from all clubs.

They will also have the "admiration" of a few CEO's and coaches out there who will snatch him up with stuff like "we're going to take a real active role in not only making Todd Carney a good footballer but foremost a good person" ... I can see Elliott right now.

Thanks for your concerns Fathead but we'll take care of matters to suit this fine club.

Last edited:

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
i say 3 more weeks suspended 1 game for souths logan then bring him back, the other 4 points of the plan are what really matters not playing is just a slap on the hand..let him play finals footy

Bay56

First Grade
I say get him back on the footy field asap (next week) ... the facts are that Todd's suspension didnt work last time and it wont this time ... we're about winning footy games and Carney is an integral part of that.

The other points of the punishment plan should remain ... and that is what has the best chance of making Todd a better person.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Bay champ- not sure if you've been noticing but we've been winning games without Carney. And even when he was playing, it was the Campese show.
I have been supporting a struggling team for the last few years like all of you, and the last thing i want is a douche' of a player dictating terms to the club.

I'd be happy to have him back, but I think the club should stand its ground even if it results in him leaving the club.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We have won one game without Carney against a very weak Gold Coast side. We had beaten an unbeaten in 8 games St George away from Canberra and a strong Roosters side at Canberra with him.

I love how every one seems to take the moral high ground, I didnt see brisbane sack Lockyer after making that rapist comment a few years back, Newcastle certainly didnt sack Johns despite being a confessed drug user, why should we sack Carney??

Timbo

Staff member
I love how every one seems to take the moral high ground, I didnt see brisbane sack Lockyer after making that rapist comment a few years back, Newcastle certainly didnt sack Johns despite being a confessed drug user, why should we sack Carney??

1- Lockyer made one inappropriate comment. Don't even try and compare that to Carney.
2-Johns drug issues only hit public knowledge after he retired.

----------------------

Carney's open letter in the paper today is laughable. Seriously Todd, you've had five thousand chances. The bit where he says he's upset that he wasn't consulted about being removed from the leadership group is my favourite. Yeah, because they're going to ask you about that one. You're being punished you clown, I can't believe he was the clubs vice-captain after all the junk he's done. He also says 'I don't have a problem with alcohol'. Please. He tries to say he has issues when drunk, that he just likes having fun and things get out of hand, but he's learning to manage it. Yeah, it really shows.

The letter also stated if we sack him, he'll probably be de-registered so he won't be able to play elsewhere. If he doesn't accept, I'm right behind the club showing him the door.

edabomb

First Grade
1- Lockyer made one inappropriate comment. Don't even try and compare that to Carney.
2-Johns drug issues only hit public knowledge after he retired.

You're absolutely kidding if you're going to say that with a straight face. I heard about that over here in NZ in 2005 so I'm pretty sure the club knew.

I think Carney should be put back to Souths Logan for now and told he has to earn his way back into first grade this year, which he inevitably will.

Timbo

Staff member
Ed, it was an open secret. I lived in Newcastle, and everyone up there knew it, and this was early 2000s.

But it was never officially acknowledged, and largely because unlike Carney, Johns was never stupid enough to get caught.

edabomb

First Grade
Ed, it was an open secret. I lived in Newcastle, and everyone up there knew it, and this was early 2000s.

But it was never officially acknowledged, and largely because unlike Carney, Johns was never stupid enough to get caught.

Well from a PA basis I agree that is better for the club. My main argument I guess is that this will be pretty much forgotten by this time next year, and then we'll be asking ourselves why is Todd Carney carving up on another team (be it NRL or overseas).

PS> You keen to play a game of F7s Tim??? :lol:

Timbo

Staff member
Be that as it may, we've already given him more than enough slack.

Why? Are the Death Ninja's short?

Bay56

First Grade
Well from a PA basis I agree that is better for the club. My main argument I guess is that this will be pretty much forgotten by this time next year, and then we'll be asking ourselves why is Todd Carney carving up on another team (be it NRL or overseas).

BINGO mate !!

.... and Timbo, you'll be satisfied with that ??

Bay56

First Grade
Bay champ- not sure if you've been noticing but we've been winning games without Carney. And even when he was playing, it was the Campese show.
I have been supporting a struggling team for the last few years like all of you, and the last thing i want is a douche' of a player dictating terms to the club.

I'd be happy to have him back, but I think the club should stand its ground even if it results in him leaving the club.

GC I think you are one of many that jumped on the "We beat an injury depleted Titans in the middle of July at Bruce" bandwagon.

Mate as said previously we won two, much more difficult games prior to that with Carney in the side and we've just lost one against the Broncs.

I'd go as far as saying that had Carney played against the Titans we'd have won by more.

My theory is that Carney was the main focus of attention against the Saints and Roosters and Campo relished in the freedom with a sudden improvement in his form. It will be a different story now with all the media attention Campo has gained elevating him to superstar status.

If the club wants to get back on the rails quickly theyll have Carney back in the side next week.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Even if he is off the bench next week, he should play. He is an important part of this Raiders team.

Latest posts