What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney may knock Campo from Country

aussies1st

Staff member
Terry Campese's 2010 representative hopes are fading, after NSW Country selector Jock Colley rated the Raiders playmaker an ''outsider'' to retain the No6 jersey yesterday.

Colley all-but guaranteed Raiders fullback Josh Dugan would be selected in the Country team to take on City at Port Macquarie on May 7.

He also revealed Raiders forwards Alan Tongue, Dane Tilse and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs would be considered when the Country selection panel meets in Sydney on Saturday.

But Campese's chances of taking part in the annual NSW State of Origin trial have plummeted, with Colley confirming former Raider Todd Carney and Bulldogs veteran Brett Kimmorley were likely to be Country's halves pairing.

Campese represented Country last season, before going on to make his NSW debut in Origin I.

He was dropped after the Blues' loss and has been in the representative wilderness since.

That is likely to continue, with NSW coach Craig Bellamy understood to be keen to see how Roosters star Carney and incumbent halfback Kimmorley gel together.

''I wouldn't rule Campese out totally,'' Colley told The Canberra Times. ''But there's a bit of a push for Carney to play at five-eighth and if that's the case Campo will most probably miss out.

''Campese isn't out of contention, but he's an outsider.

''It depends what they do with the halves and his form I don't think is as strong as it was last year.''

The City and Country teams will be announced on Sunday night, just minutes after Australian coach Tim Sheens names his team to take on New Zealand in a one-off Test in Melbourne on May 7.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...ney-may-knock-campo-from-country/1814529.aspx

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Fair enough too. Campo hasn't been performing since the end of 2008 imo- atleast not consistently. Carney is killing it. I still think Carney's defence in the front line will be show up.

my favourite part of this article was "Colley all-but guaranteed Raiders fullback Josh Dugan would be selected in the Country team"

Campo has still been one of our best although Carney is a more talented ball player

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
You really think Campo has been one of our best? I can't remember the last well setup try we scored inside an opposition 20. Not to say he hasn't done it this year, but the majority of our tries have been improvisation, not set plays or playmaker vision.

The one thing that Campo has over Carney at the moment is defence. Do you remember the defensive pairing of Carney and Dobson? Absolutely terrible.

Timbo

Staff member
Campo's first half on Sunday was fantastic.

It showed the flair he has when he has a solid organizer inside him. That's what we need.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well for his sake he will be hoping Mogg is fit and doesn't go off after 50 minutes again.

shear_joy9

Coach
He also revealed Raiders forwards Alan Tongue, Dane Tilse and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs would be considered

seriously? He barely warrants a first grade spot.

carney >>> campese. By a mile.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
In Campese's defence he is being fed ball by a guy with a terrible passing game and his most successful partner in the halves is a winger.

cucuboth

Juniors
It's true. He probably won't make the Country Origin side. Guess it all depends on if Gidley gets into the Test team, or if not, where they want to play him for Country. Still, I'd like to see a Campese/Carney combo!

Campo drifts in out of games a little , but that can be said for the whole team ( bar Duges) and when you are the only genuine option in attack it's alot easier to close down. His defence has been top notch though.

Better for us he doesnt make it, less games he plays less chance of an injury. We dont have a good record in the City/Country game when it comes to injuries.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Ive been saying it for ages..not many players in this league rack up 500k a season, Campo does and hasnt even played close to that value. Before anyone says anything like we need a half back yada yada yada..Thurston doesnt have a decent paring. If this club wants to pay someone like campo what thurston is getting then at least get some results or form for his value.

We got ripped!

Timbo

Staff member
Ive been saying it for ages..not many players in this league rack up 500k a season, Campo does and hasnt even played close to that value. Before anyone says anything like we need a half back yada yada yada..Thurston doesnt have a decent paring. If this club wants to pay someone like campo what thurston is getting then at least get some results or form for his value.

We got ripped!

I think the problem is, a dominant halfback can get away with a sub-par five-eighth, where as the reverse is not true.

Freddo

Juniors
yeh it looks like carney will nudge out campo, but we got bigger problems, we need to but the carney campese thing a side for the fact, we need to develop a side that will stop qld from winning 5 straight origins,

Latest posts