What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney or Hastings

mickeylane

Bench
Both players back on the market - Hastings because his ESL contract fell through and Carney as reported this morning should be getting the green light to play in the NRL again after winning his "wrongful dismissal" claim.

IMO either player could prove valuable to us..

I can't see Dragons not signing one of these players - Storm apparently the favourite for Carney as a 5/8 if he comes onto market this week ..

If we do sign one of these - expect Hutchisson to ask for immediate release ...

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Honestly can't see us signing either of these guys. Had the opportunity with Hastings but reportedly not interested. Carney probably too much of a risk

mickeylane

Bench
There are no other clubs apart from Dragons and Storm looking for halves.. You would think we are a chance - can't see Carney bring more than $350k year one w a $559k 2nd year if he performs year one

SEAT 1A

Bench
In Hastings case, don't mind a bloke backing himself however, he is just unable to keep his ego in check and pisses to may people off.

In Carney's no, if it forces Hutch out.

At present we have Hutch and McCrone as number 7s and Widdop and Nona as 6s.

The U/20s halves are not ready to play at NRL level.

Both Carney and Hastings have their issues.

The club need to carefully assess our depth in these positions.

Hastings at $100-$150k for 1 year with an option in our favour for another year may be good insurance.

If he came back to the club it would require him to eat humble pie.

Carney is not the player he was a few years ago. So would pass particularly given his off field history.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'd consider pairing up Hastings and Hutch together in our halves with Widdop more than likely to move on after 2017 season. Widdop's game and value to the team has gone down the toilet under McWreckor. Both Hastings and Hutch have better kicking games than Widdop's lollipops into oppositions arms or legs.
2018 needs to bring change with a coaching/captain flush out!!!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Can either of them coach? Save the coin, 2017 is a write off and use the salary cap space in 2018. We are going to need it for the rebuild. If we ever get a first grade coach.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Honestly i'd take Carney for a year or so then have a look at promoting Jai Field when he's ready. I just don't think Hutch has what it takes right now. Regarding Hastings... I don't know. I feel like his future is at hooker and it does really look like he has this attitude problem everyone seems to say he has.
Don't forget, there's still a chance Lolohea might come onto the market given the Foran situation. Anything could happen in the next couple of months lads.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Honestly i'd take Carney for a year or so then have a look at promoting Jai Field when he's ready. I just don't think Hutch has what it takes right now. Regarding Hastings... I don't know. I feel like his future is at hooker and it does really look like he has this attitude problem everyone seems to say he has.
Don't forget, there's still a chance Lolohea might come onto the market given the Foran situation. Anything could happen in the next couple of months lads.
Hutch would still play half the year as Carney is as brittle as a good shortbread. 26 games in 2 years.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hutch would still play half the year as Carney is as brittle as a good shortbread. 26 games in 2 years.

Haha yeah probably. In the NRL he will be required to become a lot fitter though, and this competition has access to much more efficient rehabilitation.
If he can play the natural game I know is in him then he might actually be the buy of the season.

BrissyRedV

Bench
this competition has access to much more efficient rehabilitation.
The rest of the competition maybe, but not us. We don't have the same access the rich clubs have to the latest recovery technology like cryogenic and hyperbaric treatment therapies. Add to that, Tony Ayoub won't be part of the team next year and I believe we will struggle to find someone of his calibre to replace him. I personally think Carney would be the dud of the season. If he struggled to play 26 games in 2 seasons in a "softer" comp, he is going to struggle in the NRL. Add to that, the issues off field he has had in France is another big no we do not want.

As I have said before, we would be better off saving the cap space and using it for 2018. Purchasing more players is reinforcing the failure that has been Mary's coaching tenure.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Neither!
Carney is 30, played a handful of games over the last couple of seasons in the ESL, get's injured a lot and seems to enjoy the social aspect of football rather than the actual football.
Hastings, well, no club wants him, speaks volumes for his poor attitude and ego. If his latest ESL deal "fell through" then even they can see he's trouble. And that should be the end of discussion about Hastings.

Add to the fact that Millward stated on Friday after signing Nona, that he was signed as a 6/7 and that they are not looking in the market for anyone else.
We have a better prospect coming through in Field and wether that is 2018 or sooner or later than that, that's where our focus should be. Not regurgitating ex-players who basically gave us the "bird".

Latest posts