What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cashed up, where to spend our money?

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Hey all.
So, with the departures of Foran, Matulino and more than likely Lillyman. (Harris cancels out Hoffman's money IMO)
Where do you think we should be spending our money?
Who's available that's good value? Who's realistic? What do we need?

Props, props props for mine. an outside back/centre would be great too.
I still hold out hope that Toafoa Sipley will get a decent run this year, so that he can develop into a good 20-30min big body forward to give us some spark off the bench.
With Pulu hopefully signed, thats another forward that hopefully offers something positive.
I still feel we're one or two big forwards away from being competitive.

Russell Packer? Been playing well and would go alright if given the chance.
I always though Jeff Lima went alright at the Storm, has been quiet since he returned for Raiders though.
Tim Lafai would go alright too I rekon.
Josh Asatai from Cowboys could go well...second rower with something a bit different..
Whats the other Tuivasa Sheck like? Anyone know?

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2017/
List of off contract players

Thoughts?

legs 11

Juniors
james graham or a clone of him from the uk.....must be a good one ready to give nrl a go...a dynamic aussie hooker [can be found in plenty of lower level league[minimal cost].
maybe one or 2 burgess brothers?
would james maloney come back?

JJ

Immortal
Not sure if it's true, but some stories saying Penrith looking to offload some players, perhaps to get Cronk... lots of good talent there we could do worse than...

Penrose_11

Juniors
Will Chambers has always been one I've looked at who had a bit of class. Speed. Hands. Defence. Quality signing.

James Graham .... Easy. Would have him everyday of the week and he could name his price. A forward leader we've been missing since Wiki and Price.

Aiden Guerra is a ball playing back rower who offers something different to what we've got.

And YES to both Burgess twins. Discipline is my only concern but often that comes from frustration. They look frustrated at the Bunnies.

Joe Ofaengaue would be a cheap young quality prop pick-up.

Craig Garvey would be a quality hooker signing. Luke's on his last legs IMO.

Luke Lewis could be worth 2 years?? Campion type player. Like Jimmy Graham, a forward leader. 34 yrs at start of next season though.

Brendan Elliott from Newcastle. Absolute gas on the wing.

Just need to find a #6. Unsure 'BBQing Alone' is off contract but would have him back in a heart beat. Stand-off is our mystery. Solve that and things start looking rosey!!!

Thursdan, Graham another decent prop and a centre.

Sell Thursdan the dream of 3 premierships with 3 teams and 2 maidens. He is use to the travel, retiring from rep football. Gets to work with NZ spine (must be sick of the same Aussie & QLD guys by now). Just not sure how to sell the weather!

Last edited:

Penrose_11

Juniors
Thurston would be great but we'll never get him. He'll retire at the C'Boys. Graham at the right $$$ is a chance. Bulldogs have Woods, Tolman and JG all vying for the main 2 starting prop rolls.

If we got Thurston for 2018, I'd pretty much jizz myself!!

Thurston would be great but we'll never get him. He'll retire at the C'Boys. Graham at the right $$$ is a chance. Bulldogs have Woods, Tolman and JG all vying for the main 2 starting prop rolls.

If we got Thurston for 2018, I'd pretty much jizz myself!!
Odds are extremely low, but worth a try.
Doesn't he have Kiwi connections some how?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We seem to get our Australian players from the Queensland clubs like Broncos and Cowboys in the past. They've been good to with Berrigan probably the only let down for me. We do need those who know the game but maybe we should look to the Super franchises for converts as well particularly forwards. Perhaps the Fijian sevens team for wingers? South Africa?

Cold Roses

Juniors
More comments in the Australian media about Te Maire Martin most likely not being with the Panthers next year.

I definitely won't be surprised if he gets announced with us in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be a lot of smoke around this one.

Penrose_11

Juniors
More comments in the Australian media about Te Maire Martin most likely not being with the Panthers next year.

I definitely won't be surprised if he gets announced with us in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be a lot of smoke around this one.
Other than experience/age, how different is he to Hingano though?

Cold Roses

Juniors
Other than experience/age, how different is he to Hingano though?

He's slightly ahead of Hingano in terms of experience. Both seem to have a clever kicking game and are good on their feet.

I think in reality it comes down to the fact that there aren't many other options out there in terms of experienced halves. If we don't sign anyone else and either Hingano or Johnson get injured we'd be pretty screwed.

Kearney is making his mark on the team now. The major change is going to be the forwards. And now that Foran is going he may decide to throw all of his resources into beefing up the forward pack to make the job for his relatively inexperienced halves easier.

Not saying I agree one way or another with TMM, but like I said. There's a lot of smoke around this one. In that quiet sort of way that usually means there's something to it.

Blair

Coach
...Perhaps the Fijian sevens team for wingers? South Africa?

Great point, Zero. The Raiders, Storm and Eels (lesser extent) have had tremendous success with the 'Fijian Flyer' on the wing. The Storm last year had one on both wings. There's no finer sight in rugby league.

South Africa? They had a side in an early nines tournament back 15-20 years ago (?) but have dropped off with league since then. Vast, untapped talent for sure but very doubtful whether they can be taken seriously as a potential league nation. Their individual and collective love for union possibly even surpasses NZ's.

Cold Roses

Juniors
David Long in an Article yesterday. I wouldn't exactly rate him as great with his league knowledge, but he seems to have the inside word reasonably often.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/92449455/losing-foran-gives-warriors-clarity-for-2018-roster

The club have been speaking to other halves about next year, with Te Maire Martin at the Panthers believed to be one of those players, although he would need an early contract release from his current club

As first reported by Stuff in February, the Warriors were chasing forward Leivaha Pulu from the Titans and that deal is agreed, but there'll be higher profile moves than this coming.

There will be a big name signing for next year, but it may not be someone who plays in a No 6 jersey.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Should be looking at forwards, forwards and more forwards, can have the million dollar backline but no use having that with a popgun pack

The last 3 premiers have had forwards like Burgess Bros, Scott, Taumololo, Fifita, Gallen etc in them, can't find those types in a current Warriors pack

When we were rebuilding from nothing in the mid 2000s, I believe Hasler got the recruitment absolutely spot on. Started off with forward leaders (Kennedy, Kite) added a quality half next (Orford) then finished that off with some backs (Lyon, Bell). Also need to have good quality juniors coming through as well to complement them

Last edited:

Cold Roses

Juniors
Should be looking at forwards, forwards and more forwards, can have the million dollar backline but no use having that with a popgun pack

The last 3 premiers have had forwards like Burgess Bros, Scott, Taumololo, Fifita, Gallen etc in them, can't find those types in a current Warriors pack

When we were rebuilding from nothing in the mid 2000s, I believe Hasler got the recruitment absolutely spot on. Started off with forward leaders (Kennedy, Kite) added a quality half next (Orford) then finished that off with some backs (Lyon, Bell). Also need to have good quality juniors coming through as well to complement them

Bang on with this. Very few teams have 2 top quality halves in their team. If we give Johnson and whoever ends up partnering him a better platform to work off during games then it gives them something to grow off as a halves partnership.

With the players coming through in NSW cup we have the beginnings of a powerful forward pack for next year.

As you say though, we're still missing that premier forward.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Clear out some more dead wood - can't see us keeping Manu, Luke (the form hes in) and Bodene past 2018.
The Warriors team of 2019 is going to look drastically different to the team we have right now.

Latest posts