What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalans Dragons

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Catalans’ Challenge Cup victory saw the region in party mood after the shock win and saw a European name on the trophy for the first time since continental sides entered the competition in 1997.

As Catalonia has come together to celebrate Les Dracs win, the Challenge Cup Trophy is set to be paraded at the Barcelona vs Girona game on September 23rd.

These two famous Catalonian soccer sides will host the oldest Trophy in Rugby League at a significant cultural epicentre for the region – Camp Nou.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/53278/set-of-six-this-week-in-rugby-league
Fantastic news. Even better that it’s 2 Catalonian football teams.

One big Catalonian sporting festival!!

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Interesting point regarding Catalans current benefit from the salary cap. Works both ways, of course, but it might be an overlooked aspect of expansion to countries that use different currencies.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Interesting point regarding Catalans current benefit from the salary cap. Works both ways, of course, but it might be an overlooked aspect of expansion to countries that use different currencies.
Do Catalans have a bigger salary cap budget than other super league clubs due to the £-€ exchange rate?

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Do Catalans have a bigger salary cap budget than other super league clubs due to the £-€ exchange rate?

Recently estimated at 200k due to untracked change in exchange rate. It's a tricky one, because as I mentioned it can go the other way too. If they have to start considering Canadian dollars too, it could get messy

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Interesting to read that Remi Casty is urging the French Federation to use the success of the dragons to create a team in Paris. Not sure whether he’s talking about for the English leagues or elite 1/2.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Interesting to read that Remi Casty is urging the French Federation to use the success of the dragons to create a team in Paris. Not sure whether he’s talking about for the English leagues or elite 1/2.
Yeah there should totally be a team in Paris, Remi. Let's call them Paris St Germain. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Yeah there should totally be a team in Paris, Remi. Let's call them Paris St Germain. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:
Leave well alone for mine. Paris is football and union. RL needs to concentrate on big cities/towns in the south like Toulouse, Montpelier, Lyon and even Marseille etc.

kdalymc

Bench
Can someone update me on the ESL season and if this means they will win that too?
And also what’s better to win? Because this has sounded pretty huge and I never hear who wins the ESL title...

Pommy

Coach
Can someone update me on the ESL season and if this means they will win that too?
And also what’s better to win? Because this has sounded pretty huge and I never hear who wins the ESL title...

ESL title is what everyone wants to win.
Still plenty of games left to be played to decide who picks up the trophy at Old Trafford in October.
Bookies seem to have St. Helens and Warrington as favourites with Catalans some way back, I will be honest I haven’t paid a lot of attention this year as I don’t have Fox.

jim_57

Staff member

Yeh, one shit attempt 20 years ago means it can 100% never ever work again ever..

It would need to be something similar to Toronto to stand a chance which means very unlikely, not sure if the French Federation starting it is the best idea.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Yeh, one shit attempt 20 years ago means it can 100% never ever work again ever..

It would need to be something similar to Toronto to stand a chance which means very unlikely, not sure if the French Federation starting it is the best idea.
They should stick to the south of France. Plenty of big cities there not to far from RL playing areas.

jim_57

Staff member
They should stick to the south of France. Plenty of big cities there not to far from RL playing areas.

Agreed that FFR should focus more on the South with limited resources they have. Like I said in another thread having a 20k+ drawing event on the calendar to sell to fans every year would be a good start. I don't think FFR are in a position to bankroll any pro sides let alone one in Paris.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Agreed that FFR should focus more on the South with limited resources they have. Like I said in another thread having a 20k+ drawing event on the calendar to sell to fans every year would be a good start. I don't think FFR are in a position to bankroll any pro sides let alone one in Paris.
Lyon, Montpellier and Marseille are 3 big cities that I would put before Paris. Plus I think all 3 have history of playing the game during the glory pre WW2 days.

Challenge Cup winners Catalans Dragons will receive a visit from the President of the Government of Catalonia on Friday.

Quim Torra, who was elected in May and is a supporter of Catalan independence, is on an official visit of Perpignan.

He will meet Dragons club chairman Bernard Guasch at the Gilbert Brutus Stadium to congratulate the club on its first title.

It’s the first of a number of significant PR coups for Catalans since their historic victory.

They are set to parade the Challenge Cup trophy at an upcoming La Liga football game between Barcelona and Girona at the Nou Camp, the biggest football stadium in Europe.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...to-visit-dragons-after-challenge-cup-success/

Coastbloke

Bench
Saw an old bloke with a Catalan Dragons jacket yesterday at Ettalong Diggers while watching the footy.. :relaxed:

2nd time in 10 years I've seen Catalan logo in Oz. Wonder where he got it..

Saw a bloke wearing a Catalans jersey in parra, bloke wearing avigion bison shorts at the pub and another bloke at the shopping centre wearing a France jersey.