What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cause for alarm regarding S. Berrigan talks?

Broncodroid

Juniors
Cause for alarm regarding S. Berrigan talks?

I read in this morning's Daily Telecrap that Bruno Cullen is a little nervous that a rival club may outbid the Brisbane Broncos for the signature of Shaun Berrigan...interesting, I only heard days before this was a done deal and a matter of time.

North QLD are apparently interested it read, and Berrigan will meet with Wayne Bennett on Monday to discuss his future.

Personally, I see us still signing him in the coming days, though maybe it is not such a forgone conclusion.

Interesting times ahead, it will be a nerve racking period after June 30.

Let's hope this is nothing by a "story" reported by the morons from Sydney.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
disasterous
Hardly.
Brisbane are never short of backs.
Bott/Hodges I can see being the centres, once suitable winger are found, which they will be.
Cronulla have had a left centre problem for years. We look after our Qlders.

Big Pete

Referee
Damn...would've liked to of had him signed by now, I don't think he'll leave and if he does it'll be for a lot of money I would imagine.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Leon Bott will be a career winger IMO. IF, a big IF, Shaun Berrigan left us, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges would be the 3/4 pairing with Bott on the wing with Scott Minto.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah thing is with that Tate's very injury prone and is definatly not as good as he used to be.

Then again that would be the option I would choose.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Brent Tate started the year strongly until he pinched that nerve again, if this neck guard allows him to put alot of games back to back, he will still be a force. Keep in mind, Tate is only 23-24 y.o. His best days are still ahead of him...

Balmain_Boy

Tigers too...

I would LOVE to see him play for the Tigers, he's an outstanding player. Doesn't receive as much praise as he deserves. I think it's very long odds of him moving anywhere though.

JW

Coach
Lads, lads, lads...

Berro did this last time he came off contract also. He'll push Bruno as much as he can, but there is no danger of him leaving.

Expect him to re-sign early next week.

Cheers.

I agree with JW. FFS, the Telecrap isn't exactly the bastion of journalistic integrity and I'm guessing that this was sourced from rumours and wishful thinking posted on these forum pages. It could also just be talk from Berrigan's manager.

Sleep tight Pony Boys, Berrigan will remain a Bronco. He may get more money if he went to Souths, but would he ever get another Premiership?

salivor

First Grade
If we don't sign him before Jun 30 then I think we'll lose him as he's an Australian centre and the leading try scorer to date in a market with clubs like Manly looking to make another big buy.

I still think we'll rap him up in the next couple of days but if he does go it's not the end of the world. A backline of Hunt, Bott, Tate, Hodges, Minto, Lockyer and Seymour is still just about the best in the competition.

Razor

Coach
Berro did this last time he came off contract also. He'll push Bruno as much as he can, but there is no danger of him leaving.

He wants to live in SE-QLD, so in the past that would be the case. But the Gold Coast also want him, so he might sign a one-year deal elsewhere(as the Broncos have said they won't sign anyone on a 1-year deal) so he can go to the Coast.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I would not be so sure on the Broncos not signing anyone to a one year deal.....strong, strong indication I have received that Ashley Harrison will take a one year deal at Brisbane (less money of course) and then take up an option with Gold Coast in 2007.

Leave it at that...:cool:

broncoman

Juniors
JW said:
Lads, lads, lads...

Expect him to re-sign early next week.

Cheers.
fact is he remains unsigned. until his name is scribbled on the dotted line i wont be so optimistic...

Davester

Juniors
Berrigan has on-field skills to sell
By Paul Malone.
24 Jun 05

NOT even Wayne Bennett's football club pays extra for a low profile. Shaun Berrigan, the invisible Broncos star, is about to find out again.
Berrigan, the NRL's leading tryscorer with 17 from 13 games, is the last of their present State of Origin players the Broncos have to re-sign after this week's inking of new deals by Tonie Carroll and Casey McGuire.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen says he wants the Queensland and Australian centre to sign for another two or three years before the 30 june anti-tampering deadline expires.

The final negotiation will be one-on-one, Berrigan talking to coach Bennett, trying to come to an agreement on what he is worth in dollars to the Broncos and maybe it will happen in a quiet corner during the team's trip to Auckland.

Berrigan's new manager Chris Orr met with Gold Coast yesterday, and Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said later that while he admired Berrigan's talent he would not be part of their 2007 NRL entry.

Wests Tigers and, to a lesser extent, South Sydney are options should Berrigan decide the extra cash a Sydney club can pay is worth his departure from his home city and his close family.

As a hot on-field property in a market inflated by the cashed-up ambitions of Gold Coast and South Sydney, Berrigan would do plenty for another team off the field and much less in terms of engaging new fans or sponsors.

Give him a flash haircut, a nickname better than "Berro" and a neat turn of phrase and his price would rise faster than other players manage to blurt out: "I have to do the best I can for my family in the time I have left in the game".

To say Berrigan does not court a public profile through media interviews is like saying Wendell Sailor doesn't mind getting his name in the paper occasionally.

The appearance Orr arranged alongside NSW's Anthony Minichiello in a petrol company's television commercial was totally out of character. "If he was going to be an attraction to another club as their marquee player, they'd be looking for more from him in that area and he'd probably recognise that and step up to the mark," Cullen said.

"It's doesn't make him any less valuable to us because we have the sort of personnel who satisfy those requirements. He and (elder brother) Barry are, and this isn't a criticism, knockabout blokes and don't see the benefit in doing anything other than performing on the field.

"Shaun's been one of our priority players. We've had discussions with him, but time is moving on and we want to get moving before he goes to Origin camp next Wednesday."

In deciding what their offer should be, the Broncos know Berrigan, 26, is particularly close to his family and lives at home with his parents, Barry and Barry's fiancee in the western Brisbane suburb of Keperra.

They also know he is mostly popular with teammates for his cheeky ways in the dressingroom, how he sets a good example with his liking for training and brings an unusual skill set to the team.

Berrigan is not over-big and fast like a young Sailor, not quick off the mark like Leon Bott and not elusive like Karmichael Hunt.

He's not over-anything. But he's scored five tries more than anyone in the NRL and is on track to break the club's NRL season scoring record of 23 tries, held jointly by Steve Renouf (1994) and Darren Smith (1998).

An instinctive player, he is a well-honed footballing talent with a valuable knowledge that helps him anticipate what Darren Lockyer and, increasingly, Brett Seymour have in mind.

"He's flying and if he's injury free he'll surpass that (23) quite easily," said Renouf, a former teammate of Berrigan's who retired after the 1999 season.

"He can sniff out a try, which I reckon makes a centre, and he's a good gap runner who puts himself in the right place."

Renouf said Berrigan's try-scoring form was a result of a "dominant" Broncos team in much the same way as he profited in four Brisbane premiership sides.

"There's no way Brisbane should lose Berro. The bottom line is that tries win games," Renouf said. "He's a line breaker for them and they haven't had a dominant centre for a while."

In a conversion where words will be spent as carefully as bank tellers count out $100 notes, Berrigan will hope Bennett sees it that way, too.

Broncos, NQ, Tigers or Souths...No GC