What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celebrating Indigenous Round - who are your favourites, best, and under-rated ...

horrie hastings

First Grade
From the Roosters.
Big Artie-Don't think i have to say any more, one of the greatest forwards to ever play the game.
Andrew Walker-Such a freakish player and his spiraling bombs were a full backs nightmare.
John Ferguson- Brilliant winger who could score a try from anywhere.
Matt Sing -Amazing attacking centre and winger
Rod Silva- Another elusive fullback who scored so many side stepping tries, his defence was a bit of a let down but his attack was brilliant.
Ron Saddler- A very under rated centre, probably the best defensive centre i have seen play , he became the first Indigenous player to captain NSW.

Others
Cliff Lyons
Larry Corowa
Steve Renouf
Matt Bowen
Preston Campbell
Rhys Wesser
Ty Williams
Ricky Walford
Nathan Blacklock
Eric Simms.

I know Ricky Walford and Nathan Blacklock played at the Roosters but really stood out more at the other clubs they went to.

Last edited:

captainwarrior

Juniors
Off the top of my head.

Best: JT - was a pleasure to watch because he was always in everything. He was dynamic and dominant. I always found him super likeable too.

Favourite: Matty Bowen - he was absolutely electric. Just did everything with so much speed, and felt like everything went up a level as soon as he entered the fray. Could almost have him as the most underrated too.

Most Under-rated: Preston Campbell - like mentioned above, enough time has passed that you almost forget how good he was. He was tough and just did things on a footy field that not many others can. Definitely under appreciated imo.

84 Baby

Referee
images

soc123_au

Staff member
Preston will always be one of my favourite players of all time. Massive heart and sublime skills.

I loved to hate Mundine as well, he was a big loss when he left the game. A great showman and a superb athlete. Apparently also a great bloke when the cameras arent around.

This Year?

Immortal
Favourite: Nathan Blacklock. Could find a try when nothing was on, or in a pressure situation. Never looked like an athelete but very deceptive.
Best: Greg Inglis: This was hard for me to pick. I've never seen Beetson play and there are many great players from my lifetime. The reason why I picked Inglis was because I've never seen a player adapt his game based on his body shape or the team he plays in like Inglis has. Unbeliveable talent.
Underrated: Cody Walker. Alot might find this pick surprising but I've never really rated him mainly because of some of the rubbish in his game. Although I don't like him, nobody can turn the momentum in a game like he does.

skeepe

Immortal
Joel Thompson
Greg bird
Jack wighton
Adam Elliott
Connor Watson

I see what you’re trying to do, and you’re a f**king idiot. A rare non-troll thread and you have to bring your shitheaddery.

Anyway, on topic, I’m slightly too young to remember much about Chicka Ferguson other than his grand final exploits, wish I got to see more of him.

As a kid though, Ken Nagas was easily my favourite player. The way he glided around the field was amazing. I’d even say he was woefully underrated given he only played 2 Origins and 5 Super League tests. Not being selected for the 1994 Kangaroo Tour after the season he had must still rank as one of the greatest robberies of all time.

DeeJ

Bench
Dean Widders deserves more than one mention IMO, but here we are.

You know who hasn't been mentioned at all? Sam Thaiday. We all know he deteriorated perhaps more than any other player in the last third of his career, but a young Thaiday was exciting to watch, a dynamic backrower who would run hard and hit hard with good technique in defense.

Sphagnum

Coach
I see what you’re trying to do, and you’re a f**king idiot. A rare non-troll thread and you have to bring your shitheaddery.

Anyway, on topic, I’m slightly too young to remember much about Chicka Ferguson other than his grand final exploits, wish I got to see more of him.

As a kid though, Ken Nagas was easily my favourite player. The way he glided around the field was amazing. I’d even say he was woefully underrated given he only played 2 Origins and 5 Super League tests. Not being selected for the 1994 Kangaroo Tour after the season he had must still rank as one of the greatest robberies of all time.
Huh? They’re all indigenous all-stars?

Arthur Beetson was the best. May have played in the forwards, but his pace over the first 20 meters was up with the best three quarters of his day, and he had the ball and organising skill of the best halfbacks. I saw him at the back end of his career but he had it all.

Other greats I've seen or heard about deserving mention -

Cliff Lyons
Steve Renouf
Gorden Tallis
John Ferguson
Eric Simms
Larry Corowa
Laurie Daley
Greg Inglis
Ken Nagas
Matt Bowen.

Mark B

Juniors
Big Artie, Steve Ella (the most underrated centre pairing with the Crow, 4 premierships) Steve Renouf and little Preston Campbell.

Latest posts