What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celebrating Indigenous Round - who are your favourites, best, and under-rated ...

Andrew Walker-Such a freakish player and his spiraling bombs were a full backs nightmare.

Had him as one of my favourites and yes, one of the reasons was his atomic boot. I can’t recall many players who had such a big a boot like him.. and from memory he was one of the first to put spirals on it etc - just to make it even more ridiculous to catch..

Remember a bomb he put up at kogarah one Friday night....honestly don’t think I’d seen anything without an engine go that high..

The crowd were all on the hill going “oooooooooooohhhhhhh”” as it hit it’s peak, then tumbled down like it came out of a WW2 bomber...

For some reason I felt we never really got to see Walker hit a sustained peak in the game. He had so much talent and loved watching him play,

Last edited:
Growing up, I loved watching John Lomax and Quentin Pongia. A couple of trailblazing Maori forwards who really made the Canberra pack fearsome. A little before that, there was Brendon Tuuta. Tawera Nikau is another that comes to mind. Ruben Wiki. Stacey Jones. Now, Tohu Harris.

Hugh McGahan was a hell of a player. Was a great player for the Roosters from 1985 to 1991, as well as playing 53 Tests for NZ with 17 as captain. Great tackler and good ball playing second rower.

McGahan was Dally M Second Rower of the year in 1987 and in 1988 he shared the Rugby League Golden Boot with Peter Sterling. In fact in the history of the Golden Boot award since it started in 1984, the only other forwards to win it were Andy Farrell in 2004 and Cameron Smith in 2007.

King hit

Coach
Absolutely loved watching David Peachey play. Such a freakishly athletic fullback. You always knew you were in for a treat when he was firing. Campbell was another favourite. Great player and a great guy as well.

Laurie Daley wins for upmost respect from me. Possibly the best captain the Blues ever had. Absolute gentleman as well. One of my sisters is named after him. I have memorabilia of him on my wall.

Absolutely loved watching David Peachey play. Such a freakishly athletic fullback. You always knew you were in for a treat when he was firing. Campbell was another favourite. Great player and a great guy as well.

Laurie Daley wins for upmost respect from me. Possibly the best captain the Blues ever had. Absolute gentleman as well. One of my sisters is named after him. I have memorabilia of him on my wall.

The word that comes to mind when I think of David Peachey is “Glide”.. the way he moved across the park was hypnotic.

Some great players mentioned here, loved reading responses. Although it occurred to me that the vast majority of these players are backs. The forwards ..

Artie Beetson
Jeff Hardy
Ian Russell
Sam Thaiday
Dean Widders
Ronnie Gibbs.
Joel Thompson
George Rose

Apols if I’ve overlooked anyone.

Other forwards I can think of who stood out..

Sam Backo
Gorden Tallis
Wade Graham
Greg Bird

Wizardman

First Grade
My favourite was a guy named Wes Patten. For the young ones, think of a bargain version of Preston Campbell. His speed off the mark was incredible and he was not a bad ball player either.
Best....gotta go with GI....incredible player and athlete.
Underrated....gotta go with a fellow poster in this thread and say Andrew Walker. He will not be remembered as the best to play our game....but gee, he had every skill in the book. I got the feeling his career was certainly not as good as it should have been.