What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centenary Suggestion 2008

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
To celebrate the tremendous contribution to rugby league from the foundations clubs, I believe a procession should take place before the Grand Final:

A big bear dressed in red and black (with a massive knife sticking out of his back) can be driven around the ground in a Foxtel ute. At the end, an NRL representative can string the body up on a maroon and white gallows. An ARL representative can sit back in the shadows and do nothing. Then they can start putting the boot into the bear whilst counting from 1998 to 2008.

Now, that would be a spectacle!

goboggo

Juniors
The Bears are the only Sydney team that didn't successfully merge or stay in the comp, aren't they?

Do they have a bit of a loyal following still, like Newtown?

innsaneink

Referee
goboggo said:
The Bears are the only Sydney team that didn't successfully merge or stay in the comp, aren't they?

Do they have a bit of a loyal following still, like Newtown?

You ask the question, then mention Newtown? :sarcasm:

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
To celebrate the tremendous contribution to rugby league from the foundations clubs, I believe a procession should take place before the Grand Final:

A big bear dressed in red and black (with a massive knife sticking out of his back) can be driven around the ground in a Foxtel ute. At the end, an NRL representative can string the body up on a maroon and white gallows. An ARL representative can sit back in the shadows and do nothing. Then they can start putting the boot into the bear whilst counting from 1998 to 2008.

Well historical re-enactments seem to be the flavour of the NRL celebrations so far. So i guess that your idea would be very fitting. :clap:

The only other ammendment i would make is they need some actors preferably Peter Hoare ("the serial pest") and a few others to play the role of some delegates from the rival football codes in Sydney, they then proceed to run onto the field (from the Northern end of the ground) after the Bear exectution takes place., The NRL representitive who is busy booting the Bear turns around and wonders confusingly how Hoare and the other rival delegates have invaded the field so easily. The Driver of the Foxtel ute, the NRL and ARL oficialls all do nothing to stop the rivals.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Rockin Ronny said:

LMAO!

Love your work mate.

NGR

Juniors
well the bears will be playing in the premier league final, maybe they could act it out for one of the many post trie celebrations they will enjoy....

Blind Freddy

Juniors
NGR said:
well the bears will be playing in the premier league final, maybe they could act it out for one of the many post trie celebrations they will enjoy....

Fingers crossed they do make the final, its about time something positive happens to RL on the North Shore that isn't Manly.

Danish

Referee
Perhaps we could have the bear thrown out of a big dodgey Optus Vision tele suspended above the ground, then run over by Billy Idol on a hovercraft?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Blind Freddy said:
Well historical re-enactments seem to be the flavour of the NRL celebrations so far. So i guess that your idea would be very fitting. :clap:

The only other ammendment i would make is they need some actors preferably Peter Hoare ("the serial pest") and a few others to play the role of some delegates from the rival football codes in Sydney, they then proceed to run onto the field (from the Northern end of the ground) after the Bear exectution takes place., The NRL representitive who is busy booting the Bear turns around and wonders confusingly how Hoare and the other rival delegates have invaded the field so easily. The Driver of the Foxtel ute, the NRL and ARL oficialls all do nothing to stop the rivals.

perhaps, a nice touch at the end - a Titans representative (in an NRL outfit) could sneak in from behind and steal the Bear's wallet.

goboggo

Juniors
innsaneink said:
You ask the question, then mention Newtown? :sarcasm:

Mate I said "successfully merge" or "stay in the comp".

Last time I checked Newtown had not done either of those two things.

I ask again - do Norths have a small loyal following like Newtown (who are not merged nor still in the comp)?

I get the feeling the Newtown following is more of a 'trendy inner-city alternative' thing to do, rather than anything else. I'm just wondering if the Bears have the same small supporter base.

dimitri

First Grade
perhaps we could get a C7 float involved too

it could be blown up with the optus vision tv

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Maybe a knock out comp with the 8 initial clubs. The players could be drafted from NRL/PL and the games played at the start of the season. How good would it be to see these teams doing battle again.

Perhaps the games could be reduced in length or even run as a 7's tournament.

Knightmare

Coach
I like the sound of this! Although it should all be preceeded by Buck the Bronco prancing around with his chest puffed out, holding up the Winfield Cup trophies from 1992-93. That is, until a train driver wearing gold and blue striped overalls and Captain Charger run out of the tunnel, at which point Buck throws the trophies on the grass, starts jumping up and down on Captain Charger and the train driver and throwing a tantrum until two NRL execs handcuff Captain Charger and the train driver and lead them away down the tunnel, never to be seen again.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
perhaps, a nice touch at the end - a Titans representative (in an NRL outfit) could sneak in from behind and steal the Bear's wallet.

All with a big Elephant painted white with Bluetounge, and Express advocate painted on its side walking around in the background. To symbolise the stadium on the C.C. the Bears threw funds at to be built which now sits there being used mostly by other sports throughout the year.

petetheileet

First Grade
Blind Freddy said:
All with a big Elephant painted white with Bluetounge, and Express advocate painted on its side walking around in the background. To symbolise the stadium on the C.C. the Bears threw funds at to be built which now sits there being used mostly by other sports throughout the year.

A big White elephant perhaps!!! lol

steeden.

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
Maybe a knock out comp with the 8 initial clubs. The players could be drafted from NRL/PL and the games played at the start of the season. How good would it be to see these teams doing battle again.

Perhaps the games could be reduced in length or even run as a 7's tournament.

its the centenary of rugby league in australia. the NSWRL wasnt the only rugby league played in 1908. lets get some equality please.

dimitri

First Grade
steeden. said:
its the centenary of rugby league in australia. the NSWRL wasnt the only rugby league played in 1908. lets get some equality please.

don't worry

the sth qldcrushers can be represented with a toy train set

buck the bronco could then run all over it

with someone from news ltd picking it up and throwing it