What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
RL took off in Brisbane during the 80s because of Origin, which was based on the generation of great players produced by the BRL.

Crowds for the BRL and NSWRL were shit.

BRL clubs were struggling because they didn't have revenue from electronic gaming machines to fall back on and were being raided by Sydney's clubs. There was a lot of demand for Origin players based in the BRL and clubs bankrupted themselves to keep them from moving to Sydney. The QRL voted against entering a team in the NSWRL in 1987, leading to Quayle having a big sook on TV and labelling us as backwards. They reluctantly agreed to field a team in 1988 because clubs were broke and players were going to go where the money was. Broncos were the last resort to keep players in Brisbane. NSWRL and its clubs used their financial might to kill the BRL, using the poker machine revenue that BRL clubs didn't have access to.

The NSWRL wasn't very popular in Brisbane during the 80s. I was surprised to learn that in the early to mid 80s the games weren't broadcast into Brisbane until really late at night or the early hours of the morning. I learnt that from looking through the TV guide of The Courier Mail when I was at the Queensland State Library researching the Scorpions.

The ABC game would have been live. Brisbane league crowd wise was poor probably the reason they never announced regular crowds at local grounds.

Even without poker machine revenue Sydney clubs would have been richer. It's the nature of all sport no matter what the good players go where the money is, afterall if you were a decent sportsman wouldn't you?

The ABC game would have been live. Brisbane league crowd wise was poor probably the reason they never announced regular crowds at local grounds.

Even without poker machine revenue Sydney clubs would have been richer. It's the nature of all sport no matter what the good players go where the money is, afterall if you were a decent sportsman wouldn't you?
The greatest player of all time stayed in the BRL until 1988. The BRL team he was in had 4 Australian internationals and was easily the strongest team in Australia. No team from Sydney had the talent to beat them.

The NSWRL's popularity in Brisbane increased as our Origin players began to head south.

If BRL clubs had pokies and NSWRL clubs didn't then the NSWRL would have ended up like the BRL.

No....change topic
Then they should be thrown out as they're useless to the game. There's not enough Manly fans to warrant them being the Manly Sea Eagles, so if they cannot gain new fans by dropping Manly and becoming Sydney or North Sydney then the best place for them is the NSW Cup. Manly being in the NRL is killing the sport.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No....change topic
Then they should be thrown out as they're useless to the game. There's not enough Manly fans to warrant them being the Manly Sea Eagles, so if they cannot gain new fans by dropping Manly and becoming Sydney or North Sydney then the best place for them is the NSW Cup. Manly being in the NRL is killing the sport.

Okay tell the NRL....change topic

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The greatest player of all time stayed in the BRL until 1988. The BRL team he was in had 4 Australian internationals and was easily the strongest team in Australia. No team from Sydney had the talent to beat them.

The NSWRL's popularity in Brisbane increased as our Origin players began to head south.

If BRL clubs had pokies and NSWRL clubs didn't then the NSWRL would have ended up like the BRL.

I use to follow the BRL i liked the comp i would love for it to still be around ad it was. Ive been listening to the great podcadt on the history of the BRL it was a very good competition.

reanimate

Bench
I cannot see why North Sydney Sea Eagles cannot be just as successful or more profitable than Manly North Sydney Sea Eagles. I would go as far as to say Sydney Sea Eagles would be a bloody good brand that will have a better chance or attracting big brand sponsors from around the world. Alliteration is good for marketing.
For the same reason St George didn’t drop the name St George when becoming the club for a whole separate region, ‘Manly’ is just as much the brand as the Sea Eagle mascot.

MugaB

Coach
It wont matter, this guys got some repeating rainman disorder, like a stutter, but it has to do with explaining the BRL's struggles, or how Broncos and NSWRL killed the game, or how Manly must die for the good of the comp, every post must have one or all of these, like a broken record.. and even if you try to explain a different point of view, the stutter starts up again, then theres nothing left but the ignore button

For the same reason St George didn’t drop the name St George when becoming the club for a whole separate region, ‘Manly’ is just as much the brand as the Sea Eagle mascot.
Balmain fans accepted the change to Wests Tigers, did they not? The only link to their old brand is "Tigers", as Magpies own 90% of the club and have phased most of the orange out of the jersey. Leichhardt Oval draws plenty of Balmain fans whereas Campbelltown struggles to get Magpies fans to get on board. Didn't a Magpies fan on here switch allegiances to Souths because he misses the mascot?

I think you blokes are overestimating the value of "St George" and "Manly". If they ditched the name then there would be some backlash over the first few seasons, but over time people would see that it's just a name and accept that the new brand is better for the club. They used to be Manly Warringah, did they not? Dropping Warringah hasn't killed them. Roosters have grown since they dropped Easts and become Sydney.

Canterbury Bankstown Berries is now the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Super Rugby clubs in NZ didn't die when they dropped the provincial name from their brand.

Easts Tigers just rebranded as the Brisbane Tigers and I like it.

Okay. New topic. I think we need to open the game up to new audiences to grow its market share. It's short-sighted of Sydney RL fans to want 9 teams when RL fans in Adelaide and Perth have none.

What about expats living in Adelaide and Perth? With people being forced to move interstate for work, there's plenty of RL fans from NSW and QLD who will end up in Adelaide and Perth. Wouldn't it be great if you could live there and still attend a game every fortnight? Having a local team will give the game a larger profile in these cities and provide you with an opportunity to talk about the game with your workmates. If you have kids and are forced to relocate to Adelaide or Perth then having a local team will give them an incentive to play RL.

reanimate

Bench
Balmain fans accepted the change to Wests Tigers, did they not? The only link to their old brand is "Tigers", as Magpies own 90% of the club and have phased most of the orange out of the jersey. Leichhardt Oval draws plenty of Balmain fans whereas Campbelltown struggles to get Magpies fans to get on board. Didn't a Magpies fan on here switch allegiances to Souths because he misses the mascot?

I think you blokes are overestimating the value of "St George" and "Manly". If they ditched the name then there would be some backlash over the first few seasons, but over time people would see that it's just a name and accept that the new brand is better for the club. They used to be Manly Warringah, did they not? Dropping Warringah hasn't killed them. Roosters have grown since they dropped Easts and become Sydney.

Canterbury Bankstown Berries is now the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Super Rugby clubs in NZ didn't die when they dropped the provincial name from their brand.

Easts Tigers just rebranded as the Brisbane Tigers and I like it.
Manly is still the ‘Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles’, just as the Bulldogs are still the ‘Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs’, which is why I’ve suggested Manly could drop Warringah from the club’s name to adopt a dual name/co-branding name like St George did when merging with Illawarra. ‘St George’ is a big part of the club’s identity and brand, that’s why it was kept and built upon.

Manly is still the ‘Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles’, just as the Bulldogs are still the ‘Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs’, which is why I’ve suggested Manly could drop Warringah from the club’s name to adopt a dual name/co-branding name like St George did when merging with Illawarra. ‘St George’ is a big part of the club’s identity and brand, that’s why it was kept and built upon.
Footscray became Western Bulldogs and are stronger than before. It can be done.

reanimate

Bench
Footscray became Western Bulldogs and are stronger than before. It can be done.
And as @LeagueXIII pointed out, the various London top tier soccer clubs have maintained their regional identities and history, rather than adopting more generic South London, West London etc style names. Other AFL clubs have retained their original names and have become extremely successful with large reaches without having to rebrand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The author of this book
https://www.fairplaypublishing.com....wars-the-battle-for-fans-dollars-and-survival

was on the progressive rugby league podcast recently

https://player.whooshkaa.com/the-progressive-rugby-league-podcast?episode=811618

He has studied each sport including the damage the SL War has done to Sydney. His information shows AFL up by 20% and league down by 20% in Sydney and that league has basically lost northern Sydney.

We have lost a huge market that the Tina Turner era attracted due to the war, poor decision making post SLW regarding rationalisation and the constant smashing the game's image took from the media.

whilst that might be true it is now over two decades ago. How long are we going to blame our current procrastination and continuing falling behind the afl on SL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
And as @LeagueXIII pointed out, the various London top tier soccer clubs have maintained their regional identities and history, rather than adopting more generic South London, West London etc style names. Other AFL clubs have retained their original names and have become extremely successful with large reaches without having to rebrand.

yes but that’s because they haven’t needed to!
If manly were drawing 30k fans we would t be having this discussion.

reanimate

Bench
yes but that’s because they haven’t needed to!
If manly were drawing 30k fans we would t be having this discussion.
It shows that the problem isn’t the name. If it was evident that renaming clubs to carry more broad, generic names led to even bigger crowds, even more fans and even more sponsorship dollars, those soccer clubs would have done it a long time ago. Same goes for AFL clubs like Collingwood- how’s the Collingwood name working out for them vs the far more generically named North Melbourne or Melbourne?

MugaB

Coach
I thought were on a new topic???
Central Coast Bears bid!

Ive said it already and I'll say it again, junior catchments are the reason some sydney based clubs suffer, if they aren't set up properly or the pathways to top tier level aren't clear, then you'll get youre manly's and roosters will not get to prosper if norths "catchment" isnt properly sorted out..
Manly should be looking at Central Coast as a junior feeder club, not blacktown, and could be holding games up there in gosford moreso, to gain more eyeballs and juniors.
Roosters to do the same in the north shore

T-Boon

Coach
It shows that the problem isn’t the name. If it was evident that renaming clubs to carry more broad, generic names led to even bigger crowds, even more fans and even more sponsorship dollars, those soccer clubs would have done it a long time ago. Same goes for AFL clubs like Collingwood- how’s the Collingwood name working out for them vs the far more generically named North Melbourne or Melbourne?

The problem isnt just the name, it is also the location. But you cant really do the sensible relocation (to North Sydney oval) without also changing the name.

Those examples you give probably have every other thing going for them. Sea Eagles have almost nothing going for them.

Latest posts