What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast opinions thread (The "Coast Conundrum")

You're not comparing like with like.

In no way does the money in Mitre 10 Cup (NZ RU Provincial Championship) compare to the money in the NRL. The money is in Super Rugby, and there's FOUR Aussie teams there.

RU had to create Super Rugby in the first place because NZ realised in 1995 that any purely domestic competition would not have the money it needs to resist big offers from Europe/Japan. In fact even with Super Rugby's money, NZ RU *still* needs to maintain a "must play in NZ" rule for All Black eligibility.. just to offer players that one thing that offshore money can't buy!

What's that got to do with League? Well, if Rugby Union - far and away the nation's biggest sport - can't compete in the player market on purely financial terms, then there's no way a domestic NZ RL competition would be able to compete with NRL & Superleague offers.

So you're basically saying that our lot is to be one big set of feeder competitions to the NRL/Superleague, without any team of our own at the table, so locals here in NZ hardly ever see top-shelf RL on these shores.
I don't really think NZ shouldn't have a team. I just get sick of hearing New Zealanders telling us Queenslanders we shouldn't have more teams. I flipped the narrative so they would know what it sounds like.

New Zealanders are quick to laugh at Brisbane having a second team in the NRL, even though it is the second largest RL city in the world and the capital of a state that has 62,009 registered players, 47,214 of them juniors. They think putting teams in cities that have a cultural infused hatred of the game is the way to go. The Storm have produced just 3 NRL players in 22 years and have just 3,500 registered players.

NZ has what, 30,000 across the entire country?

I would like to see NZ have 3 or 4 teams. It wouldn't bother me if they only averaged 10,000 or less. The country produces players and will become more interested in the game if we give them more representation.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth will not offer what Queensland and NZ can gurantee.

I suspect the Kiwis who wish to suppress RL in Brissie are worried that another team here would make life harder for RU, which is NZ's true love.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who are these "NZ'ers" you speak of? All NZ'ers? lol
Fact is NZ gives NRL $20mill a year and a jnr nursery that fills Australian clubs rosters. Instead of cutting the NZRL funding the NRL should be doubling it and inviting them onto the commission. A second NZ team is a must to further grow the popularity of the game and ensure Australian clubs can keep signing players lol
I mean Broncos rely on 7 Kiwis, a Fijian, a samoan and a Kumul in the first team squad so no doubt the second Brisbane club will also be reliant on NZ talent.

Fact is NZ gives NRL $20mill a year and a jnr nursery that fills Australian clubs rosters. Instead of cutting the NZRL funding the NRL should be doubling it and inviting them onto the commission. A second NZ team is a must to further grow the popularity of the game and ensure Australian clubs can keep signing players lol
I mean Broncos rely on 7 Kiwis, a Fijian, a samoan and a Kumul in the first team squad so no doubt the second Brisbane club will also be reliant on NZ talent.
Give NZ a total of 3 or 4 clubs and the game will be set for life. Just find enough capital to fund it a d RL will have a chance to grow in NZ.

Put another 2 or 3 teams in Brissie and RU will die up here, AwFuL will drop off a clip and TV rights will increase.

Nothing to be gained from Adelaide and Perth. Melbourne are only there because of the size of the city.

MugaB

Coach
2 in Auckland, one in wellington

South Pacific Cyclones needs to be in Auckland, a third side in wellington if we're wanting more clubs there in NZ,
I had a thought a few months back that Warriors should play out of Wellington and someone like the Bears could relocate to Auckland as the North Island Bears.
Otherwise if there's only 2 clubs Warriors and Cyclones can both be in Auckland and the NZ Warriors can take games to Wellington and South Island, while Cyclones can take a few games around the North Island

mongoose

Coach
I don't really think NZ shouldn't have a team. I just get sick of hearing New Zealanders telling us Queenslanders we shouldn't have more teams. I flipped the narrative so they would know what it sounds like.

New Zealanders are quick to laugh at Brisbane having a second team in the NRL, even though it is the second largest RL city in the world and the capital of a state that has 62,009 registered players, 47,214 of them juniors. They think putting teams in cities that have a cultural infused hatred of the game is the way to go. The Storm have produced just 3 NRL players in 22 years and have just 3,500 registered players.

NZ has what, 30,000 across the entire country?

I would like to see NZ have 3 or 4 teams. It wouldn't bother me if they only averaged 10,000 or less. The country produces players and will become more interested in the game if we give them more representation.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth will not offer what Queensland and NZ can gurantee.

I suspect the Kiwis who wish to suppress RL in Brissie are worried that another team here would make life harder for RU, which is NZ's true love.

Now you're launching an attack on NZ rugby League lol. Basically Storm, Canberra, NZ, Gold Coast and Broncos should all fold so we can have 4 or 5 meek Brisbane teams. I am glad you are not making decision for the future of the NRL

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why do people talk about bids when they don’t know anything about them...

The South Pacific Cyclone’s plan is to split games between Wellington and Fiji, not PNG, and there’s no reason why it would particularly appeal to other PI’s.

Frankly it’s pie in the sky nonsense that would spread itself too thin and as such would fail to appeal to any of it’s target audience. It’s not even close to being what the NRL needs in a club.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
NZ doesn’t give the NRL $20mil a year Skysports NZ does, and they don’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Every junior that comes out of NZ could be replaced with an Aussie kid of similar potential if given the chance, and frankly it’d be better for the sport in Australia if they were.

If the NZRL wants to join the ARLC (i.e. be taken over by the NRL) then fine, but imperialistically making all these nations reliant on the NRL to maintain the sport’s status in their country will come back to bite everyone on the arse eventually.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NZ doesn’t give the NRL $20mil a year Skysports NZ does, and they don’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Every junior that comes out of NZ could be replaced with an Aussie kid of similar potential if given the chance, and frankly it’d be better for the sport in Australia if they were.

If the NZRL wants to join the ARLC (i.e. be taken over by the NRL) then fine, but imperialistically making all these nations reliant on the NRL to maintain the sport’s status in their country will come back to bite everyone on the arse eventually.

In large part because of the Warriors,
Thats an easy thing to say but has no real basis for being able to prove. Sure they could be but would they be as good quality and if so then why are the PI's heritage players now becoming such a large % of first graders in a relatively short period of time? Its like saying if we took all the black sprinters out of American colleges then the Olympics 100m would be full of white sprinters. Yes it would but would they be clocking the same times?

I dont think it needs to be a take over, it could be a collaboration. A seat at the commission table and greater funding and joint initiatives is a win for both countries. NRL wants NZ players and NZ tv money and competitive test matches, NZ needs funding and top tier representation in NRL to drive interest in the game.

Now you're launching an attack on NZ rugby League lol. Basically Storm, Canberra, NZ, Gold Coast and Broncos should all fold so we can have 4 or 5 meek Brisbane teams. I am glad you are not making decision for the future of the NRL
You misread me.

I don't want Canberra to fold. I just pointed out the cons of the Raiders when The Great Dane berated the idea of Brisbane having more than 2 teams. I was letting him know that all teams have their pros and cons, and if we were to put our brains to it we could come up with a million reasons why each team in the NRL should stay and why they should go. I wanted you and him to know that the things you say about Bris 3 and 4 are no different to saying Canberra shouldn't have a team, because the arguments against Ipswich and Redcliffe could be applied to the Raiders. I genuinely like Canberra as they have a connection to the Magpies.

I wasn't attacking NZ when I said they have 30,000 registered players. I was pointing out there is genuine interest in the game in NZ and saying it can be so much more if we give them more content.

More teams in NZ will increase tre worth of the NZ TV rights and generate more interest in the game. It will make the 6pm Fri time slot the ideal time for RL in NZ, as 2 or 3 teams there means one of them can play in that slot. That will be 8pm NZ time. Not having that game hosted in Aus will raise crowds. comments about

Mu comments about NZers being anti-Bris 2 are based on what I have seen and head them say. They just don't understand Australia.

I had high hopes for GC when they came in, but they've let everyone down. Again. I don't see much hope for them. If they cannot get their act together in the next 7 years then they will have been around 2 decades and still suck. If they haven't made it by then, shift them to Perth.

17th Bris 2
18th NZ 2
19th Bris 3
20th NZ3

GC to Perth.
Manly to Gosford.

Bugger Adelaide.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
In large part because of the Warriors,
Thats an easy thing to say but has no real basis for being able to prove. Sure they could be but would they be as good quality and if so then why are the PI's heritage players now becoming such a large % of first graders in a relatively short period of time? Its like saying if we took all the black sprinters out of American colleges then the Olympics 100m would be full of white sprinters. Yes it would but would they be clocking the same times?
On average they're bigger, and if they are willing to work on it they can be just as athletic as anybody else.

99% of the players that are passed over these days are the guys like Thurston, i.e. the guys that everybody said were too small, too slow, not aggressive enough, etc, basically the guys that weren't the best at anything physically, but they developed things mentally that you just can't teach.
Twenty years ago many of those guys would have gone on to get a good shot at first grade, these days almost all of those guys get dropped relatively early in the system in favour of big, physical, genetic jackpot winners who coast by on their size and athleticism without much of any "footy smarts" about them.

Basically it's bad recruiting practices that value the purely physical almost totally over anything else, and in the long run it'll hurt everybody.

The comparison to sprinting is stupid by the way, completely different sports with different requirements for success, but compare to the NFL and you find that they have a massive shortage of strong "pro-style" QB's and it's basically for the exact same reason that there's a shortage of good half's and hookers in the NRL.
I dont think it needs to be a take over, it could be a collaboration. A seat at the commission table and greater funding and joint initiatives is a win for both countries. NRL wants NZ players and NZ tv money and competitive test matches, NZ needs funding and top tier representation in NRL to drive interest in the game.
Mate the NZRL is one of the most incompetent organisations on the planet. I wouldn't want them to have any power in the NRL at all, and I wouldn't trust them with any money or resources from the NRL without a ton of oversight (i.e. basically being controlled by the NRL anyway).

As flawed as the NRL is they could do a significantly better job than the NZRL has done, and there's little to nothing for the NRL to gain in working with the NZRL.

I mean you say the NRL wants NZ players, TV money, etc, but they already have all those things and working with the NZRL isn't going to improve that. The only way they could get anything out of NZ that they can't already get would be to displace the NZRL, and it's probably cost them a similar amount to displace them as it cost to work with them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't want Canberra to fold. I just pointed out the cons of the Raiders when The Great Dane berated the idea of Brisbane having more than 2 teams. I was letting him know that all teams have their pros and cons, and if we were to put our brains to it we could come up with a million reasons why each team in the NRL should stay and why they should go. I wanted you and him to know that the things you say about Bris 3 and 4 are no different to saying Canberra shouldn't have a team, because the arguments against Ipswich and Redcliffe could be applied to the Raiders. I genuinely like Canberra as they have a connection to the Magpies.
Lol, talking shit without giving me the right to respond directly to him and his nonsense... What a f**king coward.

Comparing the current situation in Brisbane with Canberra is comparing chalk and cheese, and none of the major criticisms against suburban Brisbane clubs that I can think of can be legitimately used against Canberra, at least not without totally twisting them out of context.

Also justifying creating something intentionally and unnecessarily flawed because something else is also flawed is utterly insane!.

T-Boon

Coach
the best option for central coast is for Manly to rename themselves Northern Sea Eagles play out of North Sydney Oval x 7, Gosford x 4 and Brookvale x 1.

the best option for central coast is for Manly to rename themselves Northern Sea Eagles play out of North Sydney Oval x 7, Gosford x 4 and Brookvale x 1.
It would be funny if they became the North Sydney Sea Eagles and wore red and white, based out of Gosford. Fans from both clubs would be livid, but it would give them equal representation.

sort out central coast , gosford now , its a headcase at the moment
we the NRL needs regular games there, its not rocket science, just basics
It's silly how the NRL allow a perfectly good stadium like the one in Gosford sit empty, while allowing Manly to play at the shit hole that is Brookvale Oval. The NSW Gov should say to them, "move Manly to Gosford, rename them Central Coast or North Sydney, or we will not rebuild any more stadiums for you". Regular NRL at Gosford would give the local economy a huge boost.

mongoose

Coach
It's silly how the NRL allow a perfectly good stadium like the one in Gosford sit empty, while allowing Manly to play at the shit hole that is Brookvale Oval. The NSW Gov should say to them, "move Manly to Gosford, rename them Central Coast or North Sydney, or we will not rebuild any more stadiums for you". Regular NRL at Gosford would give the local economy a huge boost.

If you think its silly for Gosford stadium to sit empty then why do you want the Titans gone? Cbus stadium is bigger and better than Gosford stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl has no power or interest in dictating where clubs play games. It’s totally at the clubs decision, except magic weekend.

If you think its silly for Gosford stadium to sit empty then why do you want the Titans gone? Cbus stadium is bigger and better than Gosford stadium.
Robina Stadium wouldn't be empty. The East Coast team would play 6 games there a year. I just don't know if there's enough interest in the game on the Goldie to hold 12 games.

The other 6 could be at Lang Park. It would be funny if Redcliffe became East Coast and played 4 games in Redcliffe, 4 on the Goldie and 4 in Brissie, considering they were going to sue the Titans when they wanted to use the name Dolphins.

Latest posts