What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast or Gold Coast?

The 16th team should be...

• Central Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

t-ba

Post Whore
JK said:
GC didn't fail - it was axed as part of a shotgun marriage. Their bank balance was fantastic.

Which one? The two that went Bankrupt or the one that underspent criminally and spent it's entire existance getting it's arse handed to it week in week out?

Diehard-What's selfish about it. Differentiate between Regional NSW and Sydney. Both QLD and Regional NSW are starved for teams representative of their population, and Sydney has a glut of teams. Arbitrarily declaring statelines as some form of division (To the point where you don't include Canberra as Part of NSW, even though I draws msot of it's players from it's Junior area, which is alrgely within NSW, and it's fan base, which is also largely NSWelshman) is criminally idiotic. Consider each bid on it's merits and don't instantly punish the people of the Central Coast because Folks 120km away are spolied for choice.

*Voted for Gold Coast*

Special K

Coach
Both areas need a team. It is that simple. New teams too not relocated ones either. I'm sorry but if Souths can only get 10 thousand now what makes you think Souths on the GC or CC will get more? :?

Razor

Coach
t-ba the hutt said:
Diehard-What's selfish about it. Differentiate between Regional NSW and Sydney. Both QLD and Regional NSW are starved for teams representative

CC has a team around 100km north. They have a team 100km south. They have a lot more teams about 150km south

Gold Coast has a team around 100km north. None south.

t-ba

Post Whore
Razor said:
t-ba the hutt said:
Diehard-What's selfish about it. Differentiate between Regional NSW and Sydney. Both QLD and Regional NSW are starved for teams representative

CC has a team around 100km north. They have a team 100km south. They have a lot more teams about 150km south

Gold Coast has a team around 100km north. None south.

And what a Grave injustice is being served to both Regions by having to travel 100+ km to get to a Football match. You make it sound like getting into sydney is a simply thing to do from the central Coast. If you'd bother driving the stretch, you'd realize how time consuming an operation it is...

Paullyboy

Coach
Anyone who doesnt live in NSW realises its gotta be the Gold Coast. How many bloody teams do you guys need down there anyway? If you want another NSW team get rid of some of the hangers on like Souths

Macca

Coach
It's gotta be the Gold Coast. Brisbane have had it too good for too long. If you want a central coast side then a club from the inner city should relocate.

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah, maybe the Sharks should relocate to the Gold Coast! :clap: Seriously 'Gold Coast Sharks' sounds good!

t-ba

Post Whore
Well, if Ando wins his case, our dreams may be answered!

All Hail the Old Grumpy Bastard (Now, to find a Picture of him for my Sig...)

Macca

Coach
Well, as a Sharks fan, that wouldn't be the most favorable option, but I think that there are a few candidates before us. A Gold Coast side could start by itself, no need for relocation. The CC on the other hand is perfect for relocation. Inner city fans can still go to games and the CC gets a side to support, I don't want any fans to suffer too much, but the Bunnies should go up there. It would solve half their problems.

wittyfan

Referee
Yeah. I reckon that Souths and Manly are ahead for us in terms of teams needing to relocate. Plus I don't think the merged clubs are safe from anything.

djmac

Juniors
Obviously Central Coast. A combined Nth Sydney and Central Coast juniors base is particularly strong. Evidence of North Sydney's juniors tenacity can be found that after one year's absence from the lower grades as well North Syndye have now managed to re-enter into five.

Gold Coast is a failed region for all sports, not just league.

Great point about the good crowds to the Gold Coast trials. There is one major omission of logic that flaws it though. In the Newcastle/Parramatta grand final a few years back Newcastle fans clearly outnumbered the semi home team Parramatta. The point I'm trying to make is that the Gold Coast is a big place and starved fans who rarely get to see their club perform will go see them if it means skipping work. If Norths came and played near me in North West NSW I would definately contribute to the games crowd. Everyone in the Gold Coast area would share my sentiments. Once the Gold Coast start losing no one will go see them. At least If the CC BEars started losing they could cope financially for years with Singleton.

The Northern Eagles were a mockery of what the Central Coast people deserved as 'their own team' The team didn't train there, and had less home game than Brookvale. When the team failed to perform on the field how could you expect them the be recieved. Would you go to the games of a losing 'away' team?

Expanding to the Gold Coast doesn't do much for league at all. Brisbane will keep them around for a while, but if they begin to compete, like they were beginning to from '97 onwards, Brisbane will have them kneecapped.

I think my rant can end here...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Gold Coast is more viable. And better for the game in general.

Gold Coast Breakers: Red and Yellow with White, to reflect the surf livesaving colours. Mascot could be a bronzed lifesaver, all musculy and shit.

angrybear

Juniors
cc bears SHOULD get the nod, however it is likely to be the goldy. which surprises me no end - the cold ghost has been a graveyard for professional sporting teams.

in 15 odd years god's waiting room on the gold coast has buried three league teams (giants, seagulls, chargers), an NBL franchise (rollers), an ABL team (daikyo dolphins - then the whole comp bit the d*ck), and paid no attention to a top flight AFL side that has gone on to become one of the all-time australian rules powerhouse outfits.

so if history is any guide, the central coast should get its opportunity. but as we're talking rugby league, throw sense out the window - together with a fantastic juniors base, great stadium, guaranteed funding - and a little bit of red and black tradition to boot - and give the licence to broughton's boys.

more importantly, however, looking forward to gary larson's boys mugging newtown in this weekend's first leg of the frank hyde cup.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Need to have some feeder comps with maybe a 12 team top flight. Lowest sydney team in top flight plays in lower div/ lower division winner goes up.

The same is done for QLD and Other (Vic/SA/WA)

Have 1 from Other
Have NZ team
Have 3 from Qld
Have 7 from NSW

So last year Souths/Manly/Tigers/Cronulla would go down and GC team would go up.

The next year Souths/Manly/Tigers/Cronulla join teams like Central Coast, Newtown, North Sydney Bears and others like these. The winner goes up in place of the lowest placed NSW side.

Same for QLD with teams in the QLD cup competing.

Same for Others with Perth comp/Adelaide-general SA team and victorian clubs competing

Maybe automatic relegation is too brutal. Could have a playoff with the winner going into or staying in the NRL.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
angrybear said:
cc bears SHOULD get the nod, however it is likely to be the goldy. which surprises me no end - the cold ghost has been a graveyard for professional sporting teams.

in 15 odd years god's waiting room on the gold coast has buried three league teams (giants, seagulls, chargers), an NBL franchise (rollers), an ABL team (daikyo dolphins - then the whole comp bit the d*ck), and paid no attention to a top flight AFL side that has gone on to become one of the all-time australian rules powerhouse outfits.

so if history is any guide, the central coast should get its opportunity. but as we're talking rugby league, throw sense out the window - together with a fantastic juniors base, great stadium, guaranteed funding - and a little bit of red and black tradition to boot - and give the licence to broughton's boys.

more importantly, however, looking forward to gary larson's boys mugging newtown in this weekend's first leg of the frank hyde cup.

Gold Coast has quite a good junior system too. Does everyone forget that QLD cup could feed this club too.

Also the Giants/Seagulls/Chargers were all the same team just a change in management. They deserve it simply because they are not an 11th NSW franchise

angrybear

Juniors
i'm all for a third qld side, and it definitely belongs in the SE corner - i was a regular at giants/seagulls games in the late 80s (go ya bagnall), and an inaugural season ticket holder for the crushers, and watched the red hill mob do an absolute nasty on them.

but i was born and raised on north sydney football, and would keenly love to see black and red back out on the top flight paddock.